Workcamping & Self-containment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CautionToTheWind

Reaction score
How often during workcamping situations require full self-containment? Are there absolutes out there with some "employers?" Sussing out any or all limitations... TIA!

Most of the large campgrounds will give you a site and may even want pictures of your rig. But some won't care if you hook up or not or even have it. But many remote campgrounds don't have any hookups so they don't care if you are self-contained or not. I did it for 4 years and I never had any tanks. My campgrounds had no hook-ups for me. Three years the campground didn't even have water in it.

Thanks Shepherd Bob! (coined to you from me on youtube) :)

Okay, so say most are relatively remote and primitive; would you say a good percentage of those are close to "towns" for restocking/watering, etc??? Additionally, is it *easy* to get away for this purpose?

Thanks bunches!

Each campground is unique, and company policies vary. The campgrounds I hosted at either had running water or the company would fill a 50-gallon drum on stilts when needed. I was never very remote, small stores were always within 5 miles. I did take 30-50 mile each-way trips to go shopping almost every week. There are campgrounds 100 miles from the nearest store or fifty miles of bad 4wd road. (Latter is white-water rafted to.) Generally you will have two days off each week, and will need to be able to store a weeks worth of food.

I just watched the video on work camping and doing the remote positions. I was wondering do they let you bring your rig down so you can dump tanks or get rid of waste. (I cant imagine they would let you feed the trees with fecal matter) Unless the campground had a hole int the ground system. when needed and get water etc.... How does that work? I am really interested in doing those types of jobs. Are you required to be at the site 24/7? Do you get down time to say go into town if you want or go and explore the park itself?

The campgrounds I hosted at all had in-ground tanks at the host sites to dump into, emptied as needed or when they were doing the vault toilets. One host I know of used a macerator to pump into a vault toilet. The company you host for will let you know the situation in your campground. Expect (at least) two days a week off, and you are able to leave when you are not working. (But when working split shifts, you can't go far.)

The first question I would ask is "How much does it pay?"Everything else is secondary.

Bob Dickerson said:
The first question I would ask is "How much does it pay?"Everything else is secondary.

Disagree; ... if job A paid just above minimum wage, but included perks like free entry to other local (or national) attractions & various discounts (e.g. restaurants, stores, etc.) in a town/city within a short(ish) drive I may take it over job B that pays a couple dollars more without any of the perks and/or requiring a longer drive to get to "civilization" ...

Depends on what your priorities are and how you choose to live your nomad lifestyle.

Bob Dickerson said:
...The first question I would ask is "How much does it pay?"...

You mean they PAY you too? Kidding! Moneys important, but experiences are worth more to me, at least until I can't afford food, then screw experiences and give me food money!!!