Women Only: New and desperately needing some guidance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course I'm saying all this from a cheap, clean, comfortable motel room. I'll post my wild despair too when I find myself off that unknown road out there.

Excellent post, Life180. I felt your inspiration. Very nice.

I'm with you on that nose bleed thing. I spent two weeks around the S de C mountains in NM, with a daily of that. The little relief I did get was from saline wipes. I couldn't get enough water.

It was beautiful though.

I hope you have a good day.

Peace

Life180 said:
Home is interior, and community has it's roots there too inside each of us. It's that place you live from that has no room for anything less than an uncompromised love for life greater than I could ever imagine and caring for others.

Very profound ... what you wrote gives me more confidence for the day when I can give up my apartment and live in a van full-time . . . I still have to buy the perfect travel vehicle. Can't wait until the January travel experience in my car, to see how that goes.

Watch this Caroline Myss TED talk. I've watched it more than I can count. I also fell on my face, big splaaat, when I this whole thing started in motion. What I've come to know at the deepest level is that there is no "ready". Preparations can go on forever. But, my ready always comes when I leave it to external circumstances to whack me hard and force whatever it is upon me, all the while I'm aware of it, preparing in many different levels. Watching for what's coming to me like riding invisible waves. I still dig my heels in. And I still get whacked. I'm sure there is a much easier and graceful way to handle it. And today, here we go again. Got 4 minutes to check out and face that unknown again....

Here's the video:

K,

In a bout of my own anxieties pertaining to my self-image, what I imagined my image to be to others particularly my mother, my life's purpose (or seeming lack-thereof), Lao Tzu's quotation found me when I needed it most:

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future."

Through this, I was (at least partially) able to recognize that everything I am ever anxious about starts with "what if". The more I live in the "this IS" mindset, the less power those anxious thoughts have over me. As you said, it's getting really present with the moment you are in, and since you're already aware of this, I have faith no matter how tough it becomes that you will weather the storm and find that every struggle makes you stronger.

Thinking about you, hoping you were able to get some sleep last night out in the unknown.

With Love,
M

Thank you. Its really challenging. Will sleep better tonight (at a hostel) then off to AZ. If anyone's out there, I'd love to meet up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Anxiety stresses your body. That stress creates all kinds of issues for your body chemistry including your digestion. You might not be absorbing your vitamins and minerals. On the road you might not be eating enough of the foods that help replenish them. So sometimes the fix that helps stop the anxiety is not just in your head but it can be fixed with some foods and some vitamin and mineral supplements.

Magnesium is calming, combined with some calcium and zinc it will keep your bones strong as well.

Chromium is mother natures miracle mineral that regulates your blood sugar and stops depression overnight. It is recommended by the American diabetes association. As an older woman I take it as a supplement every day. If you take some at bedtime you will wake up in a good mood without the low blood sugar blues. You will also sleep better.

Melatonin at bedtime is also a great way to get a better nights sleep.

If you are feeling anxious stay away from caffeine, it is your worst enemy. Or at least limit yourself to one or two cups in the morning. If you drink it in the afternoon then it might be the cause of not getting a good nights sleep and having too much anxiety. If you get sleepy while driving don't treat it with coffee, instead find a place to pull over and take a 20 minute nap. Taking a 5 or 10 minute walk can be just as good as a nap for waking you back up, or do both of those things. But stay away from the caffeine except at breakfast time.

If you're going to New Mexico, do get the annual pass. $225 for out-of-staters is a lot, but that gives you free camping at New Mexico State Parks for a year. I don't know how restricted your funds are, but if you get real cold, you could get a small electric heater (I have a 400/900 watt one for the van) and plug in to the park electric for $4 a day. Cheaper than a motel. The showers are generally no more than lukewarm and you have to push the button for the water every few seconds, but it's a shower. But wear shoes. There have been some nasty ones. One stunk so badly of staph aureus, I ended calling the park management. They fixed that. Otherwise I would have gone in with a bottle of bleach to clean the shower floor.

I've mostly been in New Mexico since February. Reminds me of Arizona 40 years ago in terms of open space and not as crowded. But, if you don't like wind for months on end, you might want to go elsewhere. I've had NM natives tell me that it drove them buggy sometimes.

I've felt very safe at the parks. The only problem I've had is an unleashed dog that accosted me while I was walking my dog on a leash. I complained to the camp host and they called the park ranger, who promptly wrote a citation to the owner.
Ted

Life180 said:
 That's ok. I'll adapt. The trade off is totally worth it.   If I hadn't been curious and intrigued, and horrified too at times, and hadn't continued to watch Bob's and others' videos from the comfort of home, I'd be in a mental ward for sure. It's such a radical shift for the mind to make because it challenges beliefs and assumptions about oneself and life, some you knew you had, and lots of others that you never knew about. It doesn't matter how smart you are. Has nothing to do with that. It unravels you.
So how are you doing these days? 
I hope things are getting better for you.

Latest posts