Winter driving in flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, just my two cents here but reconsider your whole approach. The costs to work and live out of your van and suffer the cold vs the income. The cost to work and live in Prescott or Phoenix vs the income you could make there in more comfort. Rooms can be rented out in Phx for $400, even seen less. Many only women. Even free for work or love. Lol. Check out Craig's to see what's available. Imho, the costs of cold living in a vehicle , add a bit more you have hot showers, comfort and better weather. Jobs near Quartzite anyone?

OutdoorFT said:
Single digits isnt that bad. As long as you have a warm home or van to get into. past few years have been brutal in the NE. couple nights were -11 when I got out of work. wind chill is what makes it really bad.

I have a buddy who is a mechanic and big into vehicles...also a Northeast person. he told me to get all terrain tires for year round usage. Granted my BFG ko2s are noisy as all get out on pavement, I plow through half a foot of snow without breaking a sweat.

Nice to know because I just put a set of the BFG KO2's on my van a month ago. The stock tires on my Transit are fine for a dry road but I've heard of people getting stuck in 1'' of snow in a parking lot. I debated on which tires to put on and so far have been very happy with the BFG's but haven't had a chance to put them to the test. I'll find out this winter.

deadwood said:
Nice to know because I just put a set of the BFG KO2's on my van a month ago. The stock tires on my Transit are fine for a dry road but I've heard of people getting stuck in 1'' of snow in a parking lot. I debated on which tires to put on and so far have been very happy with the BFG's but haven't had a chance to put them to the test. I'll find out this winter.

I failed to mention I have an F350, not a van. BUT...should be fine on a van. Im not sure where you are, but NY winters suck. lake effect crap snow. 

The tires have been great though. I do like the groove in them. Very aggressive.

You can have the best sleeping bag in the world, but you still have to get out of it at some point.
And you won't want to, for love nor money. Day one you'll start the engine, crawl back in your warm bag until vehicle warms up, and drive back to TX. Some people do it, a few homeless live in tents year around- God knows how.

As Caution mentioned, it's the ice that gets you, and while he pointed out the likely spots, you can't always predict where there'll be a patch.

First icy snowfall everything is wrecked; signs bent over, fenders/bumpers bent up, cars in the ditch. Snows help, but they're only degrees better, and studs are degrees better than snows. Chains will get you through any depth of snow, and help in mud. You can plow through snow until it goes over the hood and you can't see.

I don't know, getting out of the bag to do midnight business, then climbing back in is pure heaven. better than s.... well maybe not that good but a close second. highdesertranger

I'm probably gonna take the advice to head south for winter. I have some money coming in hopefully, I've struck out so far on the job situation here so i'm gonna try this again in Phoenix. It's gonna be 28 f tonight so that should be exciting. I think i have enough bed insulation to get cozy. I'm gonna try the hot water bottle thing for me feet ;p

I'm in Phoenix now. Plan on spending the winter here and then get out before it gets hot next spring.

What's it like van dwelling in Phoenix? Do you urban stealth? camp? Do you work?

unicutie said:
What's it like van dwelling in Phoenix? Do you urban stealth? camp? Do you work?

I'm not looking for tires, but I've found this thread very helpful.  I've been considering a move from California to Arizona for a long time, but I'm only now learning the details on the weather, jobs, housing, etc. for the various cities.  

I like the idea of living in Flagstaff, but the high cost of renting an apartment has me thinking twice about that choice.  A little more research and maybe I'll figure out what part of the state has the perfect climate (not too hot, not too cold).  It's looking like the Phoenix / Tempe area has the mildest winters.  Not sure about the heat, though.  :s

I've been digging around for threads that cover urban stealth camping in Arizona, but with little luck, so I look forward to replies to unicutie's question above.
I seem to recall reading that Flagstaff isn't too thrilled about van dwellers on their streets, but I haven't read about how other cities feel about the practice.

I have lived in Flagstaff for 12 yrs.  Winter conditions are vastly different from year to year and temps can vary WIDELY depending on what part of Flagstaff you are in - as much as 20 degrees at its most extreme from warmest to coldest parts of town (and precip varies just as widely - can be snowing hard on the highway and bone dry at my house a mile away).

Generally it’s coldest around Jan. 1st. and will usually dip below 0 overnight.  We have had winters where we went a month without getting above freezing during the day!  Other winters are down right balmy, getting to 50 during the day and down to only 20 at night.  The forecast for this winter is it may be warmer than usual.  Personally I wouldn’t want to live in a vehicle during the winter here - you might never defrost!
Kathleen