window treatments

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnt

Reaction score
I just got an express passenger van.. the windows have some film tint on them, but not dark enough.. I want limo tint on them. I would like to know if  I need to take off the old film to put the new tint film on them.. Getting the old tint film off can be a challenge.. I got a Dr.s note too for it, as I am pale as a piece of paper and cannot tan.

Also, it is has bad rocker panels.. well, what is left of them.. I'm gonna try replacing them myself. I will try to post a pic of my new van with my old van.. Both are rust buckets.. but, that is all I can afford.. New, ha ha... well newer van.. old was a 93, new is a 01.. the 01 has crank windows.. been a long time since I had something with crank windows..

yes the old tint must be removed. a heat gun and a single sided razor blade makes it easy. all of the glue must be removed but worry about that after tint is off.

rocker panels are welded on. they must cut off and then new ones welded in place if you want to do it correctly and not Mickey Mouse it. there is a inner and outer rocker. if the inner has been affected by the rust there is a good chance the floor board is also rotting.

what type of vehicle are we talking about?

have you ever done body work that involves welding?

highdesertranger

Hello Highdesertranger,,
I have heatgun, so I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip. I got a chevy express.. I live in Michigan in the rust belt. It looks like the body style did not change much from 96 to 10.. Mine is a 01.. I kinda learn as I go with things. It looked like it could be a fun project. I know it will take some time, and I am still finding a source for quality panels.. I might as well put something good on rather than stuff that is not going to last long. I can use tips too.. getting the correct panels is where I am at now.. I am borrowing a MIG welder, and will practice before getting into it.. I can borrow a air chisel too and that should make a nice cut. I seen a guy do that and have wanted to try it but had nothing to like this to cut before.. This will be my first time, but I like doing things and learning how to do things. Learning is kinda like my passion. I asked around about a body shop, and all the shops want insurance work is what I heard, and not interested in fixing rust. So, I did look into that. and will continue to do so until start cutting. I always layout my parts and plans and rehearse a few times before doing it.. When I do that, things flow better. Maybe I will meet someone who gets into this stuff like I do, and want to help. I have always had to work on my own cars and vans and make repairs. This is the world we live in. I have traveled out of the country and have seen people doing things like this and it is not uncommon. I would like to find a good helper, or someone I could help. Either way, I have to believe things will work out.. That is the only way I can make things work out.. I appreciate your tips.. Be Well.

both A-1 and Goodmark have a good reputation for patch panels. there may be more I am not a professional body repairman but I have done it a few times.

an air hammer is a little drastic. you don't want to deform the good sheet metal that you need to attach to. try to cut the spot welds there are as many way to do it as there are spot welds. they make special cutter bits or it can be done with other tools. watch some Youtube videos and ask some questions I will try to help you out if I can.

check your inner rocker and floor pan before you buy anything as sometimes panels are different depending on what you are replacing.

when you weld the new pieces in you want to stitch weld them. don't do a continuous bead, the pieces will heat warp.

a 4.5 inch angle grinder comes in very handy. cut off wheels, grinding discs, and flapper wheels come in handy.

highdesertranger

I am not sure what I am looking for when you mention the inner rocker panel.. I mentioned an air chisel not an air hammer.. have you used pop rivets to do this?

air chisel and air hammer are the same thing. I have never used pop rivets only welded them in. to get a look at the inner panel lay down on your back and look at the rocker from underneath like with your head by the transmission. what you see there is the inner rocker it is a separate piece than your outer rocker. if the inner is rusted pull up your carpet and look at your floor board, actually it's a good idea to do that anyway. highdesertranger

While it is rusted, it is not rusted through.. This van was not used much, and the rust on the outer rocker panels looked manageable if it is taken care of in the next year. We get a lot of salt rust here.. This is a 12 passenger van, and I got rid of the seats yesterday.. they were moldy as they were not stored in a good place.. The floor is vinyl over insulation and is tucked in pretty good.. I want to leave the floor as is for now.. I looked underneath when I first inspected the van, and aside from the rockers, it looked very solid which was nice to see. I have been under many autos and this was the best I could hope for. It is the very basic model, but it does have a front and rear AC.. I have only had it a week, but it has been so hot and humid here I have not been able to do much except clean it out. I have other projects I have to keep working on at the same time. It will all work out. I like your insight, it is very valuable to me and I will be inspecting the inner rockers with a creeper while wearing eye protection in the morning. Meanwhile, be well.