Will it be enough to keep myself warm?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm moving into my van in a few days, and it just snowed today 0_0<div>I'm going to have Reflectix covering my windows, a wall of it right behind the front seats, and heavy bedding... it's going to be near freezing every night this week.</div><div>Will all that be enough to keep me warm?</div><div>(It's been awhile since I went camping or anything)</div>

<P>I'd be hunting me up a heater of some kind. Coleman sportcat puts out 1500 btu's and will probably run all night on a 1 lb. propane tank. Then there's the Coleman blackcat that puts out 3000 btu's-not sure how long it will last on a tank. Both available at Wallyworld. If you get either one you'll have to light&nbsp;it up and let it&nbsp;burn up one tank of propane to burn off the paint, oil, etc. left over from manufacturing (do this outside). They'll stink you out of your van unless you do this. Stay warm.</P>

I don't have enough money to spend on a heater. I'm pretty sure that what I have will be enough, but I want to get and opinion from someone who has done this before.

<font face="Arial">The Sportcat runs for 14hrs on on 1lb take I have one. You should buy an artic sleeping bag good to at -10c least. Wear a wool cap to pull over your ears and&nbsp;forehead. Thermal underwear, 2 pairs of socks.&nbsp;</font><div><font face="Arial"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial"><br></font></div>

NO HEATER? Kid, you'll freeze your butt off. Seriously, you need a heater. At least something like that sport cat that the others have suggested. I used an old coleman catalytic years ago in a car and tent. It worked real well but the tank wouldn't go all night on high so I ran it off a 20 pound tank. Cheaper too. Check your private messages.<br>

Reduce the space you need to heat while you sleep- make a tent of reflex it over your bed, a space blanket, or even cardboard (refrigerator box?), or foam insulation sheets, do you have access to hot water?-fill gallon or larger is better closed containers with hot water and put them under or around your sleeping space...as many as you can acquire. I have heated rocks close to a campfire and put them under my bed...(careful heating rocks-they can explode if they contain water)<br>As others have said- keep head and feet warm, there is a thread here someplace about dressing for the cold....search a bit.<br>Observe all cautions about heating units of any kind, especially those about carbon monoxide- better to wake up shivering than not wake up. ALWAYS keep some ventilation in your sleeping space.<br><br><br>

<P>johnny,&nbsp; great idea on keeping your sportcat from falling over. I know they come with a plastic platform to hold the heater upright, but your setup is much, much&nbsp;better. </P>

Thick wool blankets, polypropylene underwear, thick wool socks, and a&nbsp;toque. Go get a large emergency Candle, or Large Bees Wax Candle, they will keep you from freezing in the winter. Under your bed, from the bottom up this will work; layer of&nbsp;newspapers, layer or two of&nbsp;corrugated&nbsp;cardboard, then the foamy or mattress.&nbsp;Alternate, thick felt then wool, then bedding.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Keep your area you need to heat small, making a smaller tent like area inside your vehicle is very important. Also face into the rising sun, that way passive solar gain. Heating the water in the bottles is a great idea, and some&nbsp;ventilation&nbsp;as well, very important! Do not close it even if you feel cold, waking up as mentioned is very important as well.</div><div><br></div><div>If you can not afford the heater, borrow money soon, get one. There are some smaller kerosene heaters that will keep you toasty all night as well. My space is too big, the kerosene would cost just a&nbsp;fortune&nbsp;to keep it running, propane is a better option. The little propane heater must have a kill switch built in, low oxygen and tip over safety features, if they do not have those, do not buy it! Catalytic is the way to go they are more efficient and safe as well. Can you plug in somewhere overnight, then a small ceramic or oil filled heater will keep you toasty as well.</div><div><br></div><div>Use the search feature, there are lots of threads on heat, keeping warm in the winter in your vehicle, van, car or truck.</div><div><br></div><div>There are also some&nbsp;Aladdin&nbsp;and related space heaters, they run on Coleman White gas, some on Kerosene some on diesel. Hope this helps. Prices New range from $80 and up, used sometimes as low as $40 and up. I bought two kerosene heaters for only $40, then a much better brand new in box one for $40, the only drawback is how big it is. Kerosene here is $25 for 2 gall, 4,9 ltrs, so it is very costly to keep it running. Use it only at night.</div>

caution, wearing too many cloths is just as bad as wearing none! Too many you sweat, then your body temp lowers, you freeze, the moisture freezes,&nbsp;Hypothermia&nbsp;sets in. Hypo Low, temps, Hyper hight temps.

<font face="Arial">My Sport Cat is placed in a can that is attached to a pipe that is attached to the inside frame of my cap. There is no way that it can be tipped over. It has to slide down on the pipe which has 2 pipe brackets as shown in the photos in a previous post. It is placed between the 2 fold down beds I have. The heater element is high enough above my head. The bracket does&nbsp;swivel with a bit of effort in case it is hit by accident.&nbsp;I have 2 fresh openings in the lower side walls at the back of my cap. Also shown in one of the photos is the fresh air intake in front of the heater. And a roof vent. I can adjust everything so it is safe and to give me the heat I need. It does get toasty warm and cost less than 30 cents p/h for gas.</font>

<p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">atticadayz,&nbsp;</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">Last night temp fell to 20*.&nbsp; I slept comfortably in my unheated van!</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">&nbsp;I have a Chevy Express 8 passenger cargo van, back seats removed, reflectix covering side windows&nbsp;&amp; removable reflectix for rear&nbsp;&amp; side door windows.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">Yesterday I used a 4' roll of reflectix to add a second loose-fitting layer around my sleeping area covering passenger side windows, rear doors and driver side windows.&nbsp; it took some measuring and a diagram because I wanted it all one piece, floor to cieling at the back and shorter at the sides.&nbsp; I'm a quilter so measuring wasn't a problem for me.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">I used the seatbelts to hold in place&nbsp;on the sides.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">I have fleece curtains hung behind the front seats.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">Didn't have enough reflectix to make a covering for the side doors but did block that area w/ a work mat held in place w/ a couple extra pillows.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">My van is in the driveway of the sticks n bricks so last night was a test to see if I could sleep w/o heat.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">The only thing I took for heat was 2 gal jugs of very hot tap water &amp; 2 rice filled sox I'd heated in the microwave to help warm the bed.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">The covers were 2 layers of fleece material inside a reg sleeping bag.&nbsp; my mattress and pillow is memory foam.&nbsp; A cold memory foam pillow is like a rock when cold.&nbsp; Had to bring it under the covers to warm up. </font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">After 90 mins the bedding was&nbsp;warm but I was beginning to feel a bonechilling cold.&nbsp; I was dressed in 2 layers of clothes, sox and a warm hat. pretty much all cotton...under shirt may have been a blend.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">At the 90 min point, I got up and started the van til the chill was out of the air AND added my long downfilled coat between the sleeping bag and fleece covers and put my warm vest on the outside of the bag at the foot.</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">&nbsp; My sleeping bag is unzipped &amp;&nbsp;tucked under one side of my mattress. I do zip the foot closed and tuck that under the foot of the mattress.&nbsp; The un-tucked side of the bag gets tucked under me&nbsp;to keep out drafts.&nbsp;</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">After warming the van a little and adding coat and vest to bedding, I fell asleep for a comfortable 8 hrs!&nbsp; </font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">So the whole point of this long post is that it Is possible to sleep in an unheated van...</font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma"></font>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">The van floor also has a sheet of foam insulation, 1/2" plywood &amp; carpet.&nbsp; </font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Tahoma">I like the idea of cardboard.&nbsp; Could put your mattress &amp; covers inside a refrigerator box that has been tented w/ reflectix!&nbsp; </font></p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">One of my previous cold night "tests" did result in my waking up wet w/ cold sweat under too many warm covers.&nbsp; I briefly wondered if I'd die but tossed the covers off for a few minutes, covered up again &amp; went back to sleep.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">This is not to say it's not possible to freeze to death if you sweat &amp; it was definatly uncomfortable.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">My experience w/ the Sportcat 1500btu was that it didn't warm the area at all.&nbsp; Hubby said the top should have glowed red all over the top, the one I returned only glowed red in a ring around the outside area...possibly faulty?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">there's my 2 cents</p>

<font face="Arial">My Sportcat does not glow all the way around. Call Coleman if you&nbsp;think&nbsp;you have an issue. I think I already mentioned that I have a 8" 12volt computer fan to circulate the air. My army buddies who trained in Northern Canada in the winter had down filled mummy sleeping bags. They slept naked with their cloths on top of their bags. The reason was to keep condensation from forming in the sleeping bag. They had 10 man round (Flanders) tents. Kerosene heater in the middle, but only used for cooking and melting snow for water. I don't know what to tell you. &nbsp;My sleeping area is 5'X6'. I have 2 26"x72" fold down beds. &nbsp;My beds are 16" above the floor. My cap is not insulated. The coldest night this winter was -18&nbsp;Celsius. It works for me.</font>

<P>I checked my sportcat heater and it&nbsp;glows everywhere except about a 2" dia spot in the center, but heats well. BTW, after burning 1 complete 1 lb tank of propane thru it when I bought it a few weeks back, it still had the oily, burned paint smell. So I burned another full tank and the scent is much reduced but still annoying. I have the single burner Coleman stove below and thinking about using it for heat instead of the sportcat. It does not stink at all, just puts out a blue flame. Probably would need a lot of ventilation and a sturdy platform to keep it from falling over.&nbsp;The good thing about the stove, besides providing odorless heat is that you can&nbsp;cook, heat water, etc.&nbsp;on top of it. Another plus, unlike the sportcat and blackcat,&nbsp;the flame can be adjusted to provide exactly the amount of heat you need. As small as the sportcat is, it still puts out too much heat for my truck cap (98 cubic feet), so I need&nbsp;a heater&nbsp;that can be adjusted.&nbsp;Specifications say the stove will put out 10,000 btu's max, if needed.&nbsp;Don't know how long a 1 lb tank would last with it, depends on size flame you're&nbsp;using,&nbsp;&nbsp;but will do so testing to find out.&nbsp;I read&nbsp;somewhere where a terracotta flower pot was used above a stove burner,&nbsp;probably on a very low flame,&nbsp;to store and release heat.&nbsp;Something to think about.</P><P>&nbsp;<A href="http://www.coleman.com/coleman/cole...t_id=2000010642&amp;categoryid=2010&amp;brand" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.coleman.com/coleman/cole...t_id=2000010642&amp;categoryid=2010&amp;brand</A>=</P>

Cotton kills.<div><br></div><div>I hope you have wool socks.</div>