will a slide in bed camper fit inside a utility box truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardsells2000

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the trucks that have a utility bed on the back
they are normally a steel body with tool boxes on both sides and the center is open. could a pickup bed camper slide in between the tool boxes

In general the answer is no. Of course it depends on the model of camper and utility bed, but for the most part you would have to modify one or the other. The bed area of a utility bed is strictly rectangular while most modern campers take advantage of the area behind the wheel wells of pickups with tanks or storage areas that extend out. It would be great if you could, that would add a lot of storage areas. <br />-Bill-

Howard,<br />Maybe you could build a platform to raise up the center section of the pickup bed to the height needed to accomodate a truck camper. The empty space over the cab could become a storage area, too.<br /><br />Bob

Depends on the camper. Generally, you need abt 4' + width to accommodate the bed of the camper. There are a lot of campers out there that don't flare out at the rear... like mine.&nbsp; One thing you might have to do is raise the camper up with some blocks to clear the sidewalls.

I have seen many utility bodies with a cap on them, but not a true slide in camper. If you could find a slide in that was made for a long bed dodge Dakota, it might fit, as they were only about 3'6" between the wheelwells. Even a standard sized cap wouldnt fit, it had to be size specific. If you wind up building one, I'd love to see pics, as it's an idea I've played with too. Knapahyde (SP?) makes a body for a chevy express cutaway van that has toolboxes built in, and an attached cap you can stand in. I think they call it the "K" line or SUK or something to that effect.

I just went to that link and the truck/camper is really nice.I always wondered if that would work.There are some good deals on service trucks and cab over campers here.

There is also a website somewhere where a company builds service truck beds designed to fit a slide in camper. Expensive, but the amount of storage added was impressive. I think the beds retailed for over $10k. If I ever run across the link, I'll post it.<br /><br />Heres a DIYer:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tom-blanchette:-building-a-custom-truck-bed/">http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tom-blanchette:-building-a-custom-truck-bed/</a><br /><br />It is something I have considered on mine, especially if Icould lower the bed about 6 to 8 inches: there is a very wide gap between the roof of our cab and the bottom of the camper's cab over, making the entire unit taller than average.<br /><br />One concern, though, would be total weight. A heavier chassis would probably be needed.

thanks for all the replies. I see lot of good deals on utility bed trucks and thought it would be great to have all the storage boxes.