Whynter 62 QT Ac/DC Fridge Freezer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So your experience is that it hides under your bed and scares you at night?

I don't have any experience with Whyntner but there is another thread going on were Mr. Fred C Dobbs has the same refer(I believe it's the same). might want to ask Fred. highdesertranger

I have a Whytner 65 qt and have been very happy with it, I've had it for 2 years now. I have two friends with the 62 qt combo unit and they both like theirs very well.
Bob

If you can mock up its footprint with some cardboard, place it where you intend to use it and see if it's size works for you.

It works for me I have had mine for about 10 months. Most of the usage is in the SE (Hot).  Would I buy another?  YES. It is big. Check the measurements having a bed ontop may limit head room when seated. Bought mine at Home Depot too. The unit had some dent on it when I opened the box at home. So it may be a good idea to inspect/open box before bring it home. I like the feature that lets you adjust the temperature of each compartment, from -8 to 50 degrees.

I second being aware of it's size. It takes a lot of room plus you have to leave plenty of ventilation.

I also bought mine through Home Depot. The big advantage is if it arrives dead, it's easy to return it instead of having to mail it. My friend Wayne got three bad dual temp units before getting a good one.
Bob

Check for a youtube video by enigmaticnomadic. I think it's in the vandweller mike video. He has one and they talk a fair bit about it.

I have 1 I've had for a few months and so far I'm not too impressed with its cooling abilities on 12 volt. The unit just steadfastly refused to cool even when the voltage was high enough.

concretebox said:
I have 1 I've had for a few months and so far I'm not too impressed with its cooling abilities on 12 volt. The unit just steadfastly refused to cool even when the voltage was high enough.

I'm pretty sure it's defective. Mine cools extremely well and if yours barely works then it's probably broken. If you got it from Home Depot maybe you can still return it?
Bob

kylakemike said:
Greetings all. Does anyone have experience with this fridge/freezer combo:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-...ne-Portable-Freezer-in-Gray-FM-62DZ/203569129

Any insight and opinion is greatly appreciated.

I had one. Ended up returning it. The unit having two separate compartments is why I bought it. When it arrived I plugged it in on AC and worked great! Cooled fast and held temp well although I thought it was a bit louder than I would have liked. Once I got my solar panels and battery bank installed in the van I took the fridge out for a trial run. It cooled quickly and held temperature well on DC as well. Overnight it shut off. I unplugged and tried again with same results. Several calls to Whynter revealed their DC cord is insufficient and is possibly causing the problem. Apparently the voltage is dropping and causing a low voltage disconnect even though the batteries are fine. Whynter offered to send me another cord but the service rep said its the same cord and probably wont fix it. The suggestion was that I buy a better cord from Radio Shack or wherever. Radio shack had nothing and I couldn't find one online. I was trying to also find the correct plug ends and construct my own heavy duty cord with no luck. I'm very disappointed because I really liked the unit (other than the noise).
Greg

I had read somewhere that the cord was quite long and most likely very thin gauge. Cutting it down shorter make a big difference.

I've got the Grape Solar upright 5cf. This thread now has me thinking I should cut the ciggy plug off and hook the leads to my 12v terminal block.

Sabatical said:
 This thread now has me thinking I should cut the ciggy plug off and hook the leads to my 12v terminal block.

Cutting the then 12v cord is wise.

My friend's ARB fridge I had for 3 weeks had significant voltage drop on the provided 16 awg cord, and basically the low voltage cut out which was set for 10.1 volts, would activate when the battery voltage was 12.1 volts, so there was nearly 2 volts drop between battery and the input plug on the fridge.

Ciggy plugs make for horrible connectors.   Their contacts are spring steel, not copper or even aluminum which are much better conductors than steel. The ciggy plug receptacles wires stock in vehicles can be horribly underwired, with too many connections between battery and fuseblock and fuse block and receptacle itself.  And yes I know there are those with false yet  ultimate confidence in their vehicles stock wiring.  I know some 12v power ports in more modern vehicles will say 120 watts maximum, and these 12v compressor fridges max out at about 65 watts so it should be fine right?  It is NOT.

If someone is using the stock ciggy plug cord, into a stock 12v receptacle, and the fridge does not work properly, or it stops working overnight because of the low voltage disconnect, then cut the cord.

Danfoss/Secop recommends their compressors are hooked directly to battery terminals and fused at the battery, that they not share a Buss with other devices.  They also list a minimum wire gauge for certain lengths between fridge and battery, and these recommendations are for way way thicker copper than the cheesy horrible ciggy plugs that come with these portable units.
  @ 12 volts they do not even list anything thinner than 12awg!  Go over 8 feet in length and this goes to 10awg minimum.

Stock vehicle power ports likely have about 10 feet of 16 awg between fuse block and ciggy plug.  Include the voltage drop from the ciggy receptacle and plug and the long cheesy length of 16awg wire from plug to fridge and the fridge not working properly simply should not be a surprise.

Here we have the compressor manufacturer saying specifically that the unit must be wired with thick copper, and yet most portable units which come with ciggy plug cords come with 16awg wire or thinner,  and the cheapest plug design that they could buy in bulk.  A plug that in the best scenario can only pass 60 watts and briefly before heating up excessively.  If the plug/receptacle interface were the only bottleneck voltage drop might not be an issue, but then there is too thin of copper on either side of this connector. combine both of these voltage dropping sources and the compressor controller is not getting the voltage it needs to start the compressor.

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/Technical...nit_101n0600_12-24vdc_08-2011_dehc100m602.pdf

These portable fridge units need to be sold with the horrible Ciggy plug connections.  They would lose half or 3/4 of their sales if the consumer was told they had to wire it directly to the battery, that it was not plug and play.

Not all fridges come with Danfoss/secop compressors, but all compressors are subject to the same issue of voltage drop on their power cords.

Those who wire up their own quality  Ciggy plug receptacles with short lengths of 10 or 12 awg likely would not have issues with the low voltage cutout kicking in, or the compressor not starting.  Those depending on the stock 12v outlets likely will have issues and the unit only works properly when battery voltage is 12.6v or higher.

All connectors wear out with use, and wear out faster with accumulated cycles.  Ciggy plugs are simply horrible in this regard.

Stop wasting your battery power heating up a ciggy plug and receptacle and the surrounding copper.  Cut the cord.  If a connector is still required, 30 amp Anderson Powerpoles are very easy to install.  One can put one of these on the original cord and then still be able to use the fridge on a ciggy plug, but when the fridge does not need to be portable, or used in other vehicles, then one can bypass the horrible  wasteful intermittent connector which is a ciggy plug/ standard 12v power port plug and receptacle. 

It is absolutely no surprise these 12v compressor fridges do not work properly when battery voltage drops to 12.6v or less, when the provided ciggy plug is providing power to the unit.

Cut the convenient cord.

If one insists on using the ciggy plug and receptacle, wire the receptacle with 10awg directly to fuse block.  One can also run 10 or 12 awg right to the contacts in the plug itself, if they know how to solder.  This will be a vast improvement, but the steel contacts will still cause some voltage drop and waste battery power as heat.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/

30 amp powerpoles are very easy to crimp and assemble.  The 45's are more involved.

Sabatical said:
I've got the Grape Solar upright 5cf. This thread now has me thinking I should cut the ciggy plug off and hook the leads to my 12v terminal block.

I cut the cord off about 4" from the end that plugs into the unit. I attached it to a #6 wire that runs about 5' to fuse panel. Its worked good this summer, we had over 30 days of over 90 degrees.  Add the heat in a closed van.