Why not Conversion Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullad

Reaction score
I don't see too many people converting conversion vans and am just wondering why. The ones I see typically come with a bed and widow coverings. Seems like that gets you a good part of the way to a full conversion. Insights?

I've seen quite a few. I guess we've been looking different places. :)

are you talking about a passenger van with the bench seat that converts into a bed, or are you talking about a class B which is basically a mini motor home. the bench seats that converts to a bed is very uncomfortable and storage underneath sucks. highdesertranger

Can confirm that the bench seat is worthless, even more so when it comes with a heavy motorized setup to go up/down.  I tore all that out along with the seats and the crappy old TV and did my own super simple bed/storage build-out.

not so many of them around now, people tend to buy SUVs instead. But they were real popular for going out clubbing in the days before AIDs was such a big issue. If you got lucky your bed was handy right there in the parking lot.

If you buy a 'conversion van' (fancy interior, club chairs, fold down rear seat that's supposed to make in to a bed) to convert it to a full time living home then you're:

a) paying for the fancy interior which you're going to rip out anyways.

b) if you don't rip it out to the bare steel walls then you're losing almost a foot of interior space (6" each side).

c) you're not getting standing height anyways, conversion vans usually have the low high top which is only to offer rear passengers more headroom, not standing height.

If you're going to be building your own interior to get it exactly the way you want it then simply buy a cargo van. If you can get one with a high top that is otherwise in good shape, grab it, otherwise plan on adding a high top then doing your own interior. It will work out cheaper in the long run.

I would imagine, due to height and the amount of labor to convert, the people who would most want it mostly dry camp and are active and outside of it all the time until evening. It would have to be cheap, too, to make up for the labor and height. Might as well get a passenger or cargo van. Even young, active people I’ve seen use one say it hurts having to be on their knees all the time.

I bought a class B because I wanted standing room, a kitchen, and a solid toilet. I have mobility issues and have gained weight, so I just imagined being half asleep and falling over using a bucket toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have and LOVE my Conversion Van.  I got it because my Toyota Sienna just wasn't gonna cut it for a tall gal with some serious arthritis from time to time.  HAD to be able to at least stand up to get dressed!

I would NEVER buy a new one.  I cruised Craigslist for 5 years til I found the one I couldn't resist.  It's a '99 Chevy Express 1500 (GET BIGGER IF YOU'RE EVER gonna pull an RV) with all the accoutrements of snazzy Conversion-ism!  I have only removed the two center seats, and did not WANT to put in permanently built 'things'... but that may change after some months on the road.  For now, I feel it has enough room and I enjoyed doing my 'decorating'.

As I'm packing to finally GO... I do have some concerns about storage room, but then, I still have empty drawers and over head cubby space.  I think it's going to be just fine.  It's just ME.. and 3 little dogs.

It had been garage kept, had only 13K miles on it, and I spent $5000.  I spend another $5K on getting it all road ready (included portable solars, batteries, cooking items, memory foam, shelving, etc.) .  The engine is fine, so I was only doing expected items for 'rot'; tires, hoses, A/C, etc. The only things left are Transmission and brakes.. but they are FINE for now.

Just know what you Want.  Plan for the extra repairs/build, etc.  It's all personal for everyone...
For ME.. I wanted to be able to be 'stealth' in towns at times, so the flat tops were not for me.  Of course solar panels will likely NEVER be up on that styalized roof top.. but .. eh.  One thing at a time.  Life is nothing if not fluid and changing!!
But as to CONVERSIONS:  I think mine is PRETTY!! lol ;)
(Click on pic and it turns right side up)

Van Interior.jpg

Attachments

• Van Interior.jpg
    Van Interior.jpg
    790.4 KB
It’s so cute! I have drawers the size of your middle ones, but blue green. They don’t fit in my van’s overhead, maybe if I put a shelf over the tub.

I found my van in a similar way to you, 28k miles, and only paid a bit more. Hard to find under $10k in CA, but I did! I had to replace some dried out brake parts; bad fuel in the rear tank was a costly repair. I’m still under $10k with solar for one of my top choice rigs. I was fortunate to be able to wait until one with a good price came along.

Like many things in life, things have a way of working out. Glad you’re happy with your van!

Cool!  Thank you sub2rainEN!  .. aaaannnd...
Now I have an 'excuse' to post another pic from the outside!! lol :):)

MoonGlobie tint.jpg

Attachments

• MoonGlobie tint.jpg
    MoonGlobie tint.jpg
    237 KB
Wow, it’s gorgeous. Similar footprint to mine, but mine has the full upper bunk. Meet Camper Van Beethoven, getting solar installed at the van build last year, the day I picked her up, and inside:

22cdc58f97eccfd0391808fd65830a1d.jpg

cda27c2eb513c0bc46de775114d69281.jpg
1c07cad7bc538ee99ba1a89ce7488be2.jpg

She’s beat up outside, but full of pretty oak inside. Love her!

cherterr said:
Cool!  Thank you sub2rainEN!  .. aaaannnd...
Now I have an 'excuse' to post another pic from the outside!! lol :):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay.  Can't resist chiming in:  I also love my conversion van!  In 2007 Texas paid folks to send their older vehicles to the crushers, which impacted availability here in the former home of lots of rust-free vans.  Like HighDesertranger said, the James Bond beds are awful.  Ditch that, along with the TV, VCR and game console (LOL).  Nine-way power seats with memory, however, are awesome.  The upgraded paint has held up extremely well compared to stock.  Likewise, the upgraded interior finish has outlived everything else.  We do hang out inside sometimes, but don't cook in there, so there's no need to spend time on our knees unless I'm on the bed, getting something from the back.

Thinking ahead (our van is old) my husband has asked what I would like if I could have anything as a replacement.  Honestly, a new conversion van would be my first choice!  Upgrades?  Some better hanging clothes storage would be nice, and I would like better ventilation.  I need to work on those.  If we were full-timers, my list might be longer.

cherterr said:
... and did not WANT to put in permanently built 'things'... but that may change after some months on the road.  For now, I feel it has enough room and I enjoyed doing my 'decorating'.
At first, I thought I DID want to build out a cargo van.  What changed my mind was the number of half-finished builds I came across in low-end lots at the start of my Great Van Quest.  I saw lots of cautionary tales (burned up wiring harnesses, slumping insulation, etc.)  Too much learning curve for me!  The older Class B's I looked at had too much stuff--much of which no longer worked.  The conversion hit the Goldilocks spot.

I have a 95 Astro van with the Gladiator conversion.  I got it with 42K and in immaculate condition.  It has the fold down rear seat, but all I did was complete the bed with a footlocker with a thermarest air mattress on top for my legs. It's pretty comfy, but is definitely a solo set up.  I put shelves on the passenger side of the fold down bed which are handy.  It's not a complicated set up but it works for me.  

It took me months to find this van.  Good low mileage vans that are reasonably priced are pretty hard to find.  People tend to hold on to them.

I can put all of my things in the shelves, and in the footlocker.  I think you just have to work with what is available to you.  As long as you can find a good low mileage van, conversion or cargo, you can make it work for you

I've often considered using a conversion van for my next build, but I rarely find affordable vans on a Chevy chassis. It always seems to be Dodge, and I've never liked Dodge vans. It also seems like they use way too much in the way of mirrors, carpet (even on the ceiling), and boxes for speakers and TV's. Really wipes out the usable space.

Of course I could tear it all out, but if I'm going to rip it apart, I'd rather just start from scratch with a cargo van. Still, I do like the TV tops they come with.

VanFan said:
  What changed my mind was the number of half-finished builds I came across in low-end lots
Exactly!  Since I dabble in Real Estate, always in the back of my mind is that famous quote: "you make money when you BUY, not when you Sell".  For ME, I'd rather leave her alone in the event of a resale, I think buyers would rather have the original to start with.
If "I" decide to go FT, I'll probably sell my HOUSE upgrade to a better towing vehicle (i.e. Truck!) and use my RV.  OR.. at that time I can 'do the build'! :)

highdesertranger said:
the bench seats that converts to a bed is very uncomfortable and storage underneath sucks.  highdesertranger

Awww, noowww... :)
 It's nuthin' 6 inches of memory foam and 3/4" plywood can't fix.  :)
And maybe becoming a minimalist.