why did lenny quit vandwelling!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See the thread on reddit vandwellers for a link.

I just read it. Wow. There is much that I do not understand in his post.

He writes, "These are not normal circumstances, and they're not what I signed up for." I don't know what he means by that. Yes, these are not normal circumstances, but nobody signed up for this. That's why it's a black swan event pandemic. No one saw this coming, and even people in S&B accommodations are in panic mode in some areas... and I would argue that some of them are way worse off than mobile van dwellers.

I am in the desert, where I have very little contact with others, but I do have a few people camped close, and we are "social distancing" because some of us go into town to shop/work. I am off the grid and not dependent on an electricity or water utility, and I am not surrounded by unprepared neighbors losing their minds and hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I am nowhere near a ghetto. People who live in towns and cities are usually less than a day's walk from a ghetto of some sort.

Lenny said he moved into a hotel. I'm not sure how I feel about that at all for myself, considering my own circumstances because the cost to ride out the pandemic in a hotel would be astronomical... but if that's what he feels is best for him right now, then God bless him.

he is worried about contracting (or spreading) the virus is what it seemed to me, but i could be interpreting wrong.

That's how I interpreted it.

Frankly, any motel that I could afford for an extended period of time would not be, um, top-notch. Think I'll stay in my van. I KNOW what kind of cleaning job the housekeeper does and exactly who she spends time with!

maybe he just got sick of his spartan lifestyle and justifies the motel expense by how much money he saved over the years??

I've been reading and enjoying Lenny's blog https://lennyflank.wordpress.com/ for several years. I believe he decided that he was at more of a risk in Florida than we are out in the southwest desert because he depends on daily trips into Walmart for food and bathrooms. He also spends most of his time in parks and museums where there are always people. The setup in his van is very basic so it would be hard for him to spend weeks inside. He's staying in a mobile home in a 55+ park for now.

tonyandkaren said:
...at more of a risk in Florida than we are out in the southwest desert....
I think the tiny droplets dry up faster here in the desert and for sure social distance is farther when the next person is three miles away from you.

-crofter

Yes, I did hear the feds are worried about the older population in Florida as being a risk of a spike in cases...just saw it on the news.

i wonder if our fearless leader, bob wells, is gonna hang it up too?!

I would doubt it very much. He is in the west the last I heard. His mother is in Florida IIRC.

I would be very surprised if Bob threw in the towel. Bobs mom is in Medford Oregon with Bob's sister.

as far as Lenny goes the only one who can answer the question is Lenny. the way I took the post was the motel stay was temporary until this blows over.

highdesertranger

i agree it’s his decision and right to quit however in hindsight he seems disingenuous due to his cut and paste answers spouting off the virtues of vandwelling. and then he quits.

Lenny's situation changed, and he reevaluated accordingly.
A rational response to changing conditions.
Disclaimer: I do not know Lenny or follow his posts.

To each his own, but as a germaphobe, I would not want to take shelter in a hotel or motel at this point--but who knows the full story on this particular situation. Hell I am concerned about catching something from a room even without a pandemic and a week after spring break.

As far as I can tell,Lenny just slept in Walmart parking lots and visited museums and zoos.That's a pretty dull life.

travelaround said:
I love my van but it is a lot easier to live in isolation in a mobile home. Glad I got one just before this all happened.
I am parked in a driveway at an RV resort. It was great until they drained all the swimming pools. Last time I was here I was still swimming in July. 

Also groups of more than 10 people are banned, and no more dances and bands. Can still play horseshoes and take walks.  -crofter

travelaround said:
I love my van but it is a lot easier to live in isolation in a mobile home. Glad I got one just before this all happened.

What model mobile home did you get?

crofter said:
I am parked in a driveway at an RV resort. It was great until they drained all the swimming pools. Last time I was here I was still swimming in July. 

Also groups of more than 10 people are banned, and no more dances and bands. Can still play horseshoes and take walks.  -crofter

Your parked in the driveway? Are they out of spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.