Why are you a snow bird ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMooney

Reaction score
Sub question why do you want to become one?

Arthur Itis tells me I should go where it's warm and dry.

I moved south to escape the northern winter and also crowded & expensive northern city life. Currently van is parked in the driveway, so not roughing it by any means, with access to pools, showers, hot tubs, palm trees. Byo wifi here though.  -crofter

Seattle makes me want to do it. Everyone who listens to reports about this city understands why.

Are there people out there that like to be tortured by high heat and/or freezing temperatures? I suffered through the snow in the north when I was young with the frozen toes, nose and fingers to never want to do that again. Exact opposite here in deep south texas. High heat and humidity. I suffered through it when I was working because my work was stationary. Now that I am retired, why would I want either one. Forty five-50 overnight with a high of 65-70 during the day sounds ideal to me.

Presently stuck for another reason at the moment. The plan was to leave after Christmas (before New Years) and come back at Thanksgiving. Weather is not bad here then. Get family time over with and repeat, chasing good weather and seeing sights.

I want to do it but I have a problem to deal with. I'm not going with out water. I dont mind at all making my own showers but i have to have water. I'm not staying anywhere with out cell service. That's it. The rest I'm good .

For the last 6 years I've been leaving home in Central Oregon in November, spending winters boondocking in SW Arizona. The desert is beautiful and life is better when I spend it outdoors. Got back home just yesterday and expect snow tomorrow.

Chase the great weather. Why be in 5 ft of snow if you don't like it. Why be in 110 deg. weather if you don't like it. Mobile means you can chase what is ideal to you and what you want out of your travels :) Wander as you see fit and enjoy what you like and smile while doing just that.

TMooney said:
I want to do it but I have a problem to deal with. I'm not going with out water. I dont mind at all making my own showers but i have to have water. I'm not staying anywhere with out cell service. That's it. The rest I'm good .
I guess if you have to have water and the internet that means you will be wintering in Florida instead of in the desert. Have a good time!

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER i LOVED OUR PA WINTERS AND OFTEN CAMPED IN WINTER. i ONCE TOOK A GROUP OF 20 BOYS OUT TO CAMP IN THE MICHAUX STATE FOREST (PA) BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS. THE BOYS AND I HAD A GREAT TIME BUT THE MOTHERS AT HOME GOT NO SLEEP. IT WAS 28 DEGREES ONE NIGHT. BUT WITH 20 BOYS PICKING UP SQUAW WOOD IN A LARGE FOREST WE HAD A ROARING CAMP FIRE.

EVERY YEAR I ADD TO MY LIVE I GROW MORE SNOW BIRD FEATHERS. WINTER CAMPING IS A GREAT MEMORY BUT I'M NOT GOING TO REPEAT IT.

Maki2 I love how sassy you are . I'm serious. I told you before well bold. I'm really working on it . Maybe we will meet one day and I'll have my answers. I'm sure if we do meet the pleasure will be mine. Now that you might as well have said I couldnt do it I'm more determined . Thank You. I'll tell you where I am so far kinda. Still in progress. Look on free campsites and type in Houston. Look at all those free campsites on the ocean beach. When you do that check Google Earth. Houston is only 4 ft above sea level which means its flat between . It should be about the same temps as Quartsite in the winter. Cell service should be 5 bars. If you refer back and look there's pay sites mixed in close which tells me there's water close. Free TV from Houston and cell service. Summer moves me up only one state away to New Mexico state parks pass of 180 dollars. I can get up to 8000 feet in Summer which I'll have to call good because of breathing. Every park has water. I havent completed cell phone reviews yet. Several site around quartsite has exellent TMobile coverage. Looks to me from reading hundreds of reviews Tmobile kicks ass there just not at RTR which last two weeks . I figure I'll live . I'm planning on hauling a lot of water in the build as that is influencing it.

My fresh water tank is 35 gallons and lasts two weeks easy taking navy showers three times a week. Having to move every two weeks is pretty common for the national forests.

It will be a one ton box type truck dually or a 16 ft cargo trailer double axle.  I'll have 55 gallons on board once I get settled . I wont haul that around. New Mexico state parks has hot showers. I wont load water until I get to where I'm going is the plan.

I spent two winters in central Canada. That was more than enough to last a lifetime.

When I finally go full time, my nudist soul will demand I follow the good weather. Being naked is a lot more fun when you're not freezing your butt off.

I have nudist friends now who live in north central texas in the summer, but go to Florida for the winter. They seem pretty happy with their lives. One friend is >70yo and spends the winter in a tent at a nudist resort down south, and he's one of the most content and young at heart people I've ever met.

My full-time snowbirding starts April 1, 2023. Meanwhile I use weekends and vacations to escape. I evacuate for hurricanes (any excuse for a road trip). As I age, hot weather bothers me more than cold weather, so I will probably spend 7 months each year in the NorthEast and 5 months in Florida. I need lakes and tall trees. Deserts do not appeal to me.