Why are so many nomads vegan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch_Cowspiracy

Reaction score
It seems like everywhere you look in the youtube nomad community, there's always someone making vegan recipe videos. I also noticed that many rubber tramps consider themselves to be environmentalists. So I dug down the rabbit hole so to speak and came across this website www.cowspiracy.com/facts

It's one of those websites that once you read through it, you wish someone had shared it with you years ago. I know some of you may have an initial negative reaction because this goes against what 94% of society believes and has done for ever, but times they are a changing and this seems to be the way of the future. 

Here's a snippet from their peer reviewed studies. 

Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Growing feed crops for livestock consumes 56% of water in the US. 

[size=medium]Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.[/size]

This is one reason why I cut animal products out of my life and I'm only sharing this because I wish someone had told me about it so long ago. Fell free to pm me with any comments or questions, but let's keep this thread civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change theirs. 

Cheers!

I saw a bumper sticker that read:

Vegetarian, indian word for 'bad hunter'

Not to make light of your website find but I still find the bumper sticker to be funny.

One of the reasons that many nomads may be vegan or, as in my case, eat many vegan foods is that they travel well - especially regarding foods that are high in protein. It is apparent to me that as a society we eat too many foods that are high in carbohydrates and not enough protein. Vegan foods like tofu and tempeh that provide a good amount of protein do so in a smaller package and do not spoil as quickly as meats and poultry.

Meh, I find vegans to be just as annoying in their evangelism as are Jehovah's Witnesses and bitcoin fans.

Seen a bumper sticker, Vegetarian not because I love animals. I hate plants.
Probably refrigeration plays a part. Ice in cheap coolers doesn't last long, and it costs money. If you can live on apples, oranges, bananas, you don't really need a cooler. Meat can go bad in a day if left out. Eggs are kind of an exception. They can be at room temp for quite a while.

I don't know that your original premise is even valid- that 'so many nomads are vegan'.

Seriously, in the almost 3 years, this time, that I've been on the road I can count the number of vegans I've met on one hand! But of course, what we eat doesn't come up in the early conversations...it's just not something that people walk up to me and proclaim their vegan status so maybe I've missed a few. OTOH, I can tell you that at group feeds, the vegans are few and far between.

I don't believe the number of vegans amongst nomads is way out of proportion to the number of them that are still bound to S&B style living.

A few years ago i met a woman who was very near the end of her life. She told me that she was a Jehova’s witness. I asked her what that meant. She simply asked me if i would witness for her. I asked her again what that meant and she then asked if i would just listen, to be her witness. And she proceeded to tell me about her life. It was one of the most profound and beautiful experiences i have ever had.

Almost all of us eat too much meat because that's how society trained us.

I love bacon. There I said it.

But I am making a conscience effort to eat a little less meat because it's good for me, the pig and the Earth.

I agree with Almost There that your premise is not correct.  So just for giggles, I am going to post a poll in the 'Food & Cooking' forum.

Spaceman Spliff, thanks for your comment but that's not the point. What do you think about the environmental impact of animal agriculture? Do you think it's worth mocking or boycotting?

Thank you for posting. We need to educate ourselves about this environmental issue if we want to have a future on this planet. 91% of Amazon rainforest deforestation and all the other destruction caused by animal agribusiness is nothing to scoff at. This planet cannot take any more unnatural mass breeding of animals. You’re very brave for speaking out about this. I hope people care enough to look into it.

I think the numbers (all numbers, not just those with regard to veganism) are skewed by those with an agenda.

I also think that many nomads eat crap food from the dollars store.
I think that many nomads eat quite well and balanced, out on the road
And I think that many nomads are vegetarians.

Nomads are nomads because you can't put them in a box.

Spiff, I like the idea of a poll.

When my 2 boys asked where does meat come from I did not mince words I explained the slaughter process and told them I had hunted and experienced the cycle, they were awe struck, later in life I wondered which side of the fence they landed, like me they stayed on top hopefully with open minds and thoughtful insight. I am not vegan, that said I select my food with care.

Saving the world aside. Eating vegan is cheaper, especially if you avoid processed food and junk food. Whole grains nuts, seeds, cereals and potatoes store well. Add veggies of some sort and you have the healthiest, cheapest diet on earth.

And there are certainly health benefits. A vegan diet, even a modified vegan diet (some dairy, etc but without the processed and junk foods that Mama2pumpkins mentions) can produce dramatic results. I have been able to go from diabetic to pre-diabetic sugar levels accompanied by a dramatic improvement in overall health (and weight) without any medicine and in little more than a year.

I've been vegan for 22 years and I'm on youtube. Vandwelling for 3 years. I've made vegan cooking videos. That said, I think it's really important to not be pushy as that just creates tension. My goal is to create peace in this world and I couldn't do so if I contributed to harm to animals when there are so many other options available. Still if someone is making even a small effort, I say kudos to them. Some vegans are just as bad as Christian zealots and that's a major turn off. Moreover, it's simply not effective. Love people, respect life, create peace. That's what I aim for... not that I'm always successful.

I was one of those kids who lived in a clean-your-plate-or-else, meat and potatoes kind of home, and spent endless hours sitting alone at the dinner table, absolutely refusing to eat the meat on my plate, usually until my exasperated parents told me to go to bed.   So, if such a thing as possible I think I was born a vegetarian. 
As a young adult I made that official…Now, after more than 33 years as a vegetarian who leans heavily towards veganism, I also understand that for many, including myself, it is a mindset and lifestyle, not just a diet.

That being said, I do not judge.

I’m a semi-nomadic Carnivore and and Ancestral Nutrition Coach.

I have certainly met a few plant-based folk on the road, mostly the younger ones.

Whe I was 18 I became a whole foods, ovo-lacto vegetarian for fourteen years and got very sick and depressed. Found out later I was unable to digest plant fiber, in addition to being gluten-intolerant. By gradually eliminating plant foods from my diet, my health has improved dramatically. I am now 55 and in the best health of my life. No meds and super happy!

I eat pastured meat from animals raised on local small farms and ranches. I avoid CAFO meat due to the inhumane treatment of animals and the negative environmental impact of these factory-farming operations. My understanding, after years of reading the literature, is that our bodies evolved on a high fat meat diet, with plants as emergency food when meat was scarce.

The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith is an eye-opening book and a must-read, IMO, for anyone thinking that plant-based diets are any more humane or environmentally responsible than animal-based diets.

www.eatwild.com is a great resource for sourcing meat, eggs and dairy from small farmers devoted to humane practices and holistic grazing. Also check out Allan Savory and Joel Salatin who are pioneers in regenerative agriculture.

Sorry to hear about your rare condition. For anyone else reading I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as a humane animal product because animals cannot consent. There is no way to humanely kill someone who doesn't want to die. Animals go into slaughterhouses whole and come out chopped into pieces and people want to believe that somewhere along the way something humane happens. Unfortunately these fluffy free range farms paint a decieving picture of how the animals are treated so they can charge more. The industry is very good at lying to us. More info can be found at www.humanemyth.org

But the point of this thread is environmental concerns. And free range animal products are slightly worse for the environment than CAFO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.