why all the debate about heaters? seems easily answered..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff613

Reaction score
I have a few comments and observations regarding the issue of heating. I should state that i'm not yet livin'n the van life, but i intend to, and hopefully in a nice Ford E150. The E150 is one of those things which, to me, all but cinches it as far as whether G-d exists or not.

Like all of us, i'm going to need a source of heat. I intend for this source of heat to be powered by grid electricity. I see several viable options, which is kind of what makes me wonder just why, considering external power is going to be used, heaters seem to be sufh the topic of discussion here. As for me, i feel it'll be no problem to stay warm in a fairly insulated van down to about freezig, which is as cold as it really gets here in southern north carolina. Why not just use a hot plate. There, now you've got cooking and heating in one. How about one of those mini hot plates meant for keeping your coffee cup warm? How cold can it be before one of those couldn't heat your van? Of course there's always one of those mini ceramic heaters i saw at wal-mart tonight. I could see how one of those could easily OVERHEAT a van interior. And keep in mind that hot air is somewhat self-circulating, risi g and falling as it cools and then heats again.

Of course in some circumstances, a blanket or sleeping bag is plenty, but my goal is to always keep the van interior-rather than merely my body-warm. Others are okay doing it otherwise. I want to keep the van interior comfy, like my own little efficiency apartment would be.

In general, how cold can it get before a reasonably insulated van can't be heated by body heat alone? The human body lets off heat in itself, so it's a heat source, and that heat accmulates to some degree in a sealed space. I'm from the northern US and have a very high body temp. I prefer a cold room, can withstand cold temps with ease, drive with my windows somewhat down unless it's under 55 deg. F. Those who have slept next to me say it's like laying down "next to a blast furnace". Anyone have thoughts on this? I mean about the issue of body heat being enough.

And what about electric blankets? The blanket itself can be as heat source, right? I can see that providing more than enough heat for the interior. In fact it may be enough for me to sleep on instead of under. When i lived in Chi-town, the basement i slept in would be 65 f at night yet i never had to turn my blanket higher than 2. It went up to 10. My biggest gripe was that it was tough to get out from under it in the am. It was worse than the trauma of being born in itself. No really, i'm not joking. It almost would have been better to not use it at all. I'd literally have to let out a mini battle cry and fling it off me all at once and jump up. Throwing myself into a bucket of ice would have been easier. But does anyone have experience or thoughts about them?

That's it for now.

Jeff,

Take away shore power and almost anything that heats and is electric will just be taking up space. Many here are completely off grid. That's why the debate continues.

One shore power. Almost all your appliances will use about 1500 watts. Hot plate, milk house heater, toaster oven, oil filled radiator type, or ceramic element. The hot plate is not designed to heat the environment, is not designed to be on for any long times. They would not be as good as , say, the oil filled radiator. Plus the units designed for space heating can be adjusted to lower levels of heat. ie; i have one with three settings, with a built in thermostat.

Trust me, a coffe cup warmer is not going to keep your van warm. In Zona desert at night the temps can drop to freezing and be windy so it feels colder. Have you ever used the heater in your vehicle? Why? Many of the folks on this site are on low, fixed incomes and being plugged in someplace is not in the cards. Some have figured out how to make this lifestyle work and are sharing with the newer ones. There are always new folks with real concerns asking good, sound questions and others ready with good advice. Hang around and absorb the free advice. I hope you find your way to your dream and wish you the best.

A cold front is headed our way (NM desert) with overnight lows in the 20's. A cup warmer wouldn't do much in those temps.

We are on full hookups. We have electric (temporary) and propane powered heat. We don't boondock. We freedom park when we travel. We will be running a cheap, loud, open frame generator that we will convert to lp. But it will not be powering our heat systems. Electric is not an efficent source of heat. That's why we have propane for our heating.

It was warm today when i went to sleep, so i left the heater off. My van is insolated ok...i was warm enough in sleeping bag but when i got up i was freezing, it was 30 degrees out and pretty cold in the van. I even have a dividing wall. So no, body heat wont heat up the van, at least not with one person.

As others have already said, remove or limit shore power (which many here do not have very often, if at all) and electric heaters/ blankets/ hot plates/ whatever become a non-option. This is why we have 'all the debate' about the best heating options.

As it is getting nippy, you might want to rent a cargo van, load it up and do a test weekend at a local campground, hook ups or not. That is honestly the best way to see what will or won't work for you.

Alternative is to pull into a campground/park during the cold winter months. It might work out cheaper $ wise. But let's get this out up front.... I feel I'm too old and work too hard to "rough it" anymore. I need heat, hot showers, and my amenties since I have the go to work 5-6 days a week.

It's funny to see this come up as literally last night I bought a new heater. I had a mini-ceramic, but it wasn't doing the job as the temps have been getting down to freezing and below. For right now we have access to shore power so we got an electric, but once we're on the road we're either going to get a catalytic (probably just a Buddy heater as we don't plan to be in cold places much). We just started converting our van so there's no insulation in yet, but we picked this thing up last night and even at 41 we were plenty warm at the lowest setting. The mini didn't do much at all, but it was an old model I had for a few years.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Electric-Ceramic-1500W-Tower-Heater-w-Remote-Control-751320/16503224

I have a Ford E150 conversion van. I must have at least 4 different thermometers inside the van. I have both digital and analog thermometers placed in the front, middle, and rear of the van.

I have noticed that the front of the van is usually cooler by at least a few degrees, mainly because I usually have the front windows cracked a little to allow outside ventilation. The middle of the van is slightly warmer. The rear of the van where by bed is located is normally the warmest area.

That can be both good and bad for having the rear of the van to be the warmest section. Good if it's say the winter time. Bad as heck during warm summer days when the temp reading still shows near 90F or above, which is too warm for me. Even during summer evening hours, the temp is still too freakin warm sometimes. I'm most comfy when the temp is around 65F to 75F.

I have also camped in the van during the winter season. I feel cold when the temp reading is below 40F. I know it's cold when I can see my breath in the air. I've had to resort to wearing hoodie jackets with the hat over my head to help keep my ears and neck warm.

I have both a Big Buddy heater and the Little Buddy heater. For my low top conversion van, the Little Buddy heater is perfect for my needs because it's small enough to fit inside my cramped space, but provides enough heat for a good several hours on a 1 pound propane can. I usually only need to turn on the Little Buddy heater for mayb an hour until it gets toasty, then turn it off. Maybe have to do that again in the middle of the night.

I also have 3 separate carbon monoxide detectors installed inside the van in different locations and height levels. I recently installed an extra sensitive CO detector that can detect as low as 10 PPM (parts per million) of CO, which is better than the usual 30 PPM for the lower/cheaper models. I wish the Little Buddy heater had an automatic thermostat for auto on/off feature, that would be too good. I don't know if such a thing exists for portable propane powered heaters.

As the Buddy Heater has a pilot flame, could some handy replace the gas control valve with a thermostatically controlled unit?

I'm having to be wintered in here in the high desert of necessity, so skirting in was job one, and heating, job two. Since we have to be in an RV park, I opted for electric heat, and chose the DeLonghi Mica panel heater, with a little Lasko tower heater for back up in emergencies or on real cold days. We also use heating blankets, which I love! Last month in November, it regularly got down to 20 degrees F, and my electric bill was only $17 for lights, heat, and me being plugged into to the Internet constantly. All in all, I think that's better than I could have done on propane, not to mention the convenience of not having to get my small 5 gal. propane tanks filled up as often. We still used 2 fill ups on propane anyway, mainly for the hot water tank and cooking, (and my showers every week).

The 10 day in Q shows 4 out of 10 nights to be 32 degrees or colder. The high today is going to be 73. Even though planning to be in the southwest were it is warmer than most of the nation the nights are still cold. That is why warmth is such an important topic here.

I like my Mr. Heater...on high will heat up the van to a comfortable temperature in 5 minutes then I turn it on low. I think it is expensive and need to add a propane tank instead of the 1 pound bottles. However, the desert is very cold in the morning and we are VERY comfortable. I think it will run for 130 hours on low if I had it hooked up to a tank. Worked really well in Salt Lake City at -11 degrees last Winter. I never have shore power.

Zero sleeping bag or some heavy wool blankets. A heater to take the nip out of the morning. Get some heavy cloths.

For outside - learn how to make a scout fire and get the blankets you need to stay warm

Move SOUTH.

Best, James AKA Lynx

Is that what you do every day and nite James ? Where do you do this, urban, suburban, desert, forest. Where in the south ? Southwest, southeast ? What do you live in? Your experience can only help others. Expand, thanks

I have camped out most of my adult life. Lived on a small boat for 2 years. I have lived out of my van for more than a month at a time and do so when I can. Right now I am working and getting the van ready. In less than a year I will take off again. I have kept quite warm under covers and needed to heat up the living space when out of bed. Others may have more experience than me and a lot I can agree with but in this thread there was no mention of heavy blankets or heavy cloths. Power does go off, sometimes for days. Right now I am in SE Texas. That may change soon.

Best to all of you. Keep more than 1 way to stay warm.

James AKA Lynx

I wear long underwear at 40 degrees....have 0 degree sleeping bag for nights so I don't have to run the heater. Only use heater in the morning to take the chill off and drink coffee. It might hit 32 degrees here in Quartzite in the next few days.....UGH!

Sameer said:
I wear long underwear at 40 degrees...

Long underwear are warm, but I took it a step further. The temp here drops like a stone when the sun goes down, due to a micro climate, so I bought a pair of these:
What to get a vandweller for Xmas
and I'm toasty warm even when my trailer is freezing. Add a pair of longjohns underneath, and I'd be danged near bullet proof :D

To make this on topic, the warm jammies really save on heating costs. I'm on shore power, but electric heaters are wallet killers!

34 expected in Q tonight, Brrrr. I tell people my blood freezes in temps below 50, LOL. Don't know why, but I get cold easier in my old age and it doesn't help a bit that I have so little meat on my bonz either.
Thank goodness our shore power comes with the camp host job. Got the electric heat going as we speak and I'm still wearing a big, fluffy fleece robe.
I have Margie and her pudgy, warm body to keep me comfy under the covers tho :)