Which new van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
For someone looking for a new van under warranty - as few mechanical issues as possible - which is best?

It is so tempting to get a slightly used van - especially the Sprinter van - with only 35k-ish miles - but I am sure they are usually traded in around when the factory warranty runs out - and I have read many stories of the huge cost of repairs on them.

Attachments

• Van $ Comparison.png
    Van $ Comparison.png
    1 MB · Views: 18
If you can find a nice low mileage just out of warranty type of deal then many times the amount of money you would save buying used over new would cover a lot of repair work if needed. Also usually if something is wrong from new the problem would have already usually shown itself and been repaired while under warranty.
Of course condition and care from new has a major bearing but I would not be afraid to purchase a really nice unit that had low miles as long as the vehicles service records were available to inspect. You may save enough on the purchase price to be willing to take the extra risk.

The running/repair costs issue surely can't be the only deciding factor.

Narrow things down to 2-3 specific models and find their specific fanbase forums to ask specific A-B comparisons questions, and build up a list of things for a trusted mechanic to check on low-miles 2-3 year old models.

Never buy new, really throwing away thousands for nothing.

I am watching Bob's videos on Domicile and drivers license options.
If I were (for example) to go to SD and establish residency - would I pay SD sales tax if I bought the van there?
Where I am currently sales tax is 8.25% and I think SD is 4.5%.

PattySprinter said:
I am watching Bob's videos on Domicile and drivers license options.
If I were (for example) to go to SD and establish residency - would I pay SD sales tax if I bought the van there?
Where I am currently sales tax is 8.25% and I think SD is 4.5%.
The answer is that you pay sales tax in the jurisdiction that the vehicle is delivered or taken possession of in.

I say jurisdiction because some states have sales tax rates that vary by county and/or city.

If I order something from a supplier that is shipping it to my location and they have NOT got a sales tax license for my location then there is no sales tax charged. However, according to income tax regulations you are SUPPOSED to self report... :rolleyes:  sure, something we all do... :D

FL or SD gonna be my choices, I'm actually leaning SD even tho i live in FL, because i have a feeling I'm gonna buy my van from out of state(probably west coastish) and it costs $500 extra one time only fee to register an out of state vehicle on top of all the other fees, so it can cost prolly another $100 on top of that, and the expense of going to get (i figure between $2/500) then i would have to drive it back to FL prolly another $500 so i could be looking at a $1000 savings, by going to and SD is as good if not better for full timers, plus i figure to spend more time west of the Miss. river so it will actually be more central then FL, but i also plan to winter in FL, but a Thousand is one heck of a savings and accomplishes the same thing.

Only $500?

I'd rethink that if you plan on bringing it back to Florida.

It costs $300 alone to register it.

THEN FL charges sales tax on the purchase price, as if you bought it here, to keep you from buying in another State.

We have a Nissan NV 3500 (they also have a 1500 and 2500). Part of the reason we bought her was because of the low problem history and the 5 yr/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.  So far, we're very happy with her and our conversion.  We've had  two trips so far, up to 8000ft- she behaved wonderfully.

The negatives are abysmal gas mileage, and because the cab is bigger, less space behind the drivers seat.  We looked at our other options, the Mercedes (too much $$$ in both cost and maintenance), a Transit (nah, just couldn't do it-blech!), and a Fiat (it's a Fiat). That left the Nissan as our only logical choice.  The cost is quite competitive with the others.

For us the positives way outweighed the negatives.

Happy hunting!
Ted

DJ, i did say that, only its $500 to register, plus the standard 2 year fee, thats why i said I'm prolly gonna do SD.

PattySprinter said:
For someone looking for a new van under warranty - as few mechanical issues as possible - which is best?

If you are looking strictly at reliability,  warranty coverage and cost the Nissan 2500/3500 deserves a hard look.  

I ran some stats on total cost of ownership of vans over 5 years.  Where possible I chose high roof and extended wheelbase.  From least to most expensive:

1. Nissan NV2500 6cyl high roof 
  2. Ram Promaster 159" high roof
  3. Chevy Express factory low roof 
  4. Ford Transit 148" high roof
  5. Chevy Express with least expensive aftermarket fiberglass high roof
  6. MB Sprinter 170" high roof
The NV2500 also has the longest warrantybest ground clearance and largest fuel tank.  If you are used to driving full-sized pickups the NV2500 will be familiar.  Downsides are the smallest living space and worst MPG.  

The NV2500 is based on the Titan platform.   I think if they made a 4x4 version the 'dweller would snatch it up like hotcakes.  As it stands now the Transit dominates the American market. 

Here are 2017 vs 2016 YTD sales figures for cargo vans if that kind of thing is interesting to you:

+31.8%  GMC Savana
+21.7%  Ram ProMaster
[size=small]+ 8.7%   
Chevrolet Express
2.4%   Nissan NV
+ 2.3%   Ford E-Series
-  0.7%   Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
-13.2%   Ford Transit[/size]
After all those nice things I said about the NV I didn't get one;  the cargo area was not a good fit for me and no extended wheelbase was/is available.  Hop in one if you get a chance and see if it works for you.

WalkaboutTed said:
a Transit (nah, just couldn't do it-blech!),

A matter of taste, I guess. I don't thing they are bad looking.  

WalkaboutTed said:
and a Fiat (it's a Fiat). That left the Nissan as our only logical choice.

One might argue that aesthetics and "it's a Fiat" are reactions rather than logical choices, but everyone has to decide somehow.  I think the NV is an excellent and underrated campervan platform.

The Promaster drivetrain is off-the-shelf Mopar stuff:  Pentastar 3.6L and 62TE six speed trans.  Nothing tricky there.  The cargo/living area is cavernous, which might be the reason the Fiat has 2/3rds of the campervan market in Europe.   There's even a dedicated flat spot to mount the roof vent.  :)