Which $250 project to do first...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Seeing as how you guz are so much wiser and more knowledgable than I can ever hope to be...

I have a VERY LIMTED project budget. I am wanting to do all three, but can only choose one for now...

None are needed asap, and all are wanted... Skills and training aside...

So... Which project should I do first? 

a.) LED bars, large front facing, two side facing, and one in the rear...

b.) Small battery solar generator, with 12v battery, small inverter, and plugs, with small portable solar panels

c.) Jim's wifi booster kit, with cradle booster, cables, and directional antenna.

I don't think we can answer that for you.

This is just prioritizing for you specifically.

I like to stay connected so the booster is my choice but you also show a small "solar generator" (not worth the money in my book). You will also need a way to power the booster and associated hotspot/phone. The lights seem likely the least used out of this unless you do a lot of off roading at night.

I think I would put money into batteries and a solenoid to charge them first. Then add a real solar setup with battery monitoring. All else after these two. Put in the fundamentals first.

Ok, I see where your going, Brian. Thx for the input!

But, FYI, these are side projects, fun things, not priorities in any way.

Our van already has the fundamentals like monitored power, solar, etc.
These projects would be in addition to what the van already has. Toys if you will, lol!

if your van already has everything then I would go for the Wi-Fi. I an curious if you already have solar why the small solar set up. highdesertranger

Thx, HDR!

I'm thinking it could be a smaller independent power source for picnic table use, short walk abouts, emergency nighttime use, whenever a cloudy day drops van resources, really anytime an extra power source might be useful or needed....

Not to mention fun to build etc....

I am going to toss my vote in for the booster system as it will be something you can use day to day. I know it does not seem impressive to look at but my simple RV porch light with a 120 count cob style LED light in it REALLY lights it up for under $20 each. (ask HDR hehe) I had a portable solar set up for demonstrations and as you say the occasional away from the trailer use. The thing is it is they are big, heavy and a PITA to store even with as much storage as I have. I sold it before I ever used it.

I'd be careful about the lighting. Some states require covers when on the road, as lighting like that is "For Off Road Use Only". A buddy has gotten away with it because it's on his trailer. If it were on his truck, it would be ticket worthy.

I vote the wifi booster system first... then the lights second just so you can have better illumination in case you have to move in the dark... then more compost potty bags and wood shavings third... gotta have priorities ya know..

galladanb said:
Seeing as how you guz are so much wiser and more knowledgable than I can ever hope to be...

I have a VERY LIMTED project budget. I am wanting to do all three, but can only choose one for now...

b.) Small battery solar generator, with 12v battery, small inverter, and plugs, with small portable solar panels

c.) Jim's wifi booster kit, with cradle booster, cables, and directional antenna.

Solar "generator" is a marketing term, you can do far better than that.  One of those suitcase set ups does a good job for around $200... 
What I did:
http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2017/11/solar-on-bench.html
http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html 

Outside lights would be a distant 3rd place for me (I've never thought about outside lights actually, I have a head lamp & several cheap led flashlights).

Having power is great, even necessary (for me) but you can do that with a vehicle engine, a solenoid (or switch) and a house battery (Walmart, 120ah for under $90). I did it that way for sometime before I got a panel & controller to hook to my house batteries. 

Having the internet is important!  Those cradle boosters help a lot but do you NEED the directional antenna right now? I did great for over a year with that small magnetic antenna that came with the booster.

galladanb said:

decide which one gives you the greatest ROI

I can tell you that the directional antenna makes a huge difference but then again I tend to like to see just how deep/far away I can boondock. In Colorado last summer those with just the magnetic and even a omni directional antenna were struggling or had nothing. My directional antenna gave me a strong enough signal that the three people with me enjoyed streaming at will.

Jim, can the antenna and cable you suggest be used without the booster?

Also will the cable you suggested attach to my 4510 mifi, or do I need an adapter?
It has a port, but I'm not sure which kind it is... I think there is a SMA and a something 9????

Does that make sense?

galladanb said:
 . . .

I vote for c.  Having internet in the boonies to track weather can be critical.  Being able to talk to family and friends while stuck in said boonies because of weather is comforting.

jimindenver said:
 . . . the three people with me enjoyed streaming at will.

Who is will and why are your friends streaming at him?  :p

I agree, go with the booster and upgrading the solar capabilities.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

The directional antenna should work directly attached with the proper adapter on the cord. I am pretty sure the port is a TS 9

Ok, so here's the winner... 12v battery box!

Yep, this thing will have a 12v, 15ah agm sla battery, 2.4amp dual usb outlet, 12v cigarette outlet and separate switches for everything.

Also in the box will be cables for a variety of connections, including a 100w AC power inverter.

Future plans are to add an external solar charging system.

The box can be used to charge phones, tablets, hotspot, flashlights, and anything that uses power. It could even jump start the van if needed, and the van can recharge the battery box. So it will be quite versatile and HANDY! One could set up a portable office completely off grid!

Tomorrow, we wire the darn thing up.

image.jpeg

Loosely based on the following youtuber's video:

I was surprised how well it actually turned! Except for a couple boo boos, and extra marks... Lol!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 9
I apologize if it seems like I'm hogging the threads in here....

I kinda wish I had seen this video before I started building my box.

One of our fav tubers, Jamie, ( and not too bad on the eyes either, I must say...)
Is showcasing a product she prefers over a dedicated solar system on her hi top van.

The video shows us her Saouki unit. It's 150w and has a lot of plug in's.
Along with an Amazon link for it... And they paired the unit with a flexible 100w all in under $400 bucks!

I almost have about the same money in mine, about what hers costs ($140.00)...
And hers is way the heck better! No doubt!!

Anyway here is her video about it. If your considering doing one of these as a project, 
Please check it out!