Where to go???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
I’m a native of Los Angeles and I’m from an area that has gentrified to the nth degree which actually makes it easier I think to stealth park ( I will be in my 2016CRV that I’m working on fixing up to look nicer on the outside) 
I love Arizona and the entire Southwest and would like to see more but it seems like people only stay in Arizona, Nevada and parts of California. Yes I’ve read about other Southwestern states but what about the rest of the country? My dream is to see the Upper Midwest among other places. And the East Coast. I already know I can’t drive in snow or rather it’s not worth it trying. But that’s only winter. Any suggestions? Or experiences?

@LERCA

Great question and there is a reason for specific states/areas, and Bob did a series of videos, one is about how some states are better for certain things than others. There are sections on this forum covering those topics, but Bob's video says it best. I'll try to find it and post back. Once you're set up with home state and such, you're actually free to go anywhere your heart desires. Kind of freaky, right? I feel the same way because all my daughter and I have are each other, and the few family members who give a crap are encouraging me to do it while I can. I love the Northwest, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and the list goes on, but I've done very little travel to the east, and Northeast, but all I have to do once we get our rig and setup is pull up to an intersection and flip a coin; heads I turn east, tails I turn right, or maybe it's North or South, the sky's the limit. How exciting, right?

I've been in all the Lower 48 states (plus several Canadian provinces and Mexican states). Now I travel all over the West. I joke that my range is between the Pacific and I-25. Montana, Idaho and parts of Wyoming are great. So is southern Utah. I love southwest Colorado. Central Oregon appeals to me more than the Cascades -- drier and not overrun with tourists.

As for the east, I lived a good chunk of my life there and, well, it doesn't appeal to me. As for the upper Midwest, Michigan and Minnesota are nice, but a little buggy for my taste. Oh, and I fled the South when I hit the road. It's a bad match for me. Ain't never going back there.

But with cold weather coming on, I'll be sticking to the less chilly areas.

I miss the east already. Maybe im over romanticizing but the appalachians have a certain ancient feeling I dont get in the west. Western north carolina up through the Shenandoah's this time of year is just amazing.

@Elbear1

Oh yes! Now that's the area I've visited and really enjoyed. The Appalachians and Shenandoah Valley are a wonder to behold during the fall, oh my! That being said, I do love the wonder of the majestic Rocky Mountains, nothing like them! But then one has the beaches, and let's not forget the beautiful deserts of the Southwest and their seasonal changes. Dang, I ready to roll! I'm saving as fast as I can to get on the road by early spring. I'm thinking of Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, to winter this year. Somewhere away from the Gulf Coast for a while.

The mountains yes and this is just me but the vibe is different. CO to me seems uhh...type A with kinda randomly scattered homes. Like people have just rushed there and built where they could. Especially the well to dom Sorta like seeing a new mcmansion neighborhood. The homes are nice but something is missing.

Its enough that i dont really have a desire to go back other than the weather.

I’ve watched dozens of Bob’s videos but never seen anything about travel outside the Southwest. Would love to see them. Would be helpful. I’ve been to Cleveland and Orlando and I love Western NY and PA

Grew up near the Mexican border long before the drug cartels took over. Lived in Michoacán for a year and Colombia and Paraguay ( LOL but only a year in DC and the rest of my life in Los Angeles and a few other countries briefly so I don’t know the US that well and am totally excited about seeing it) and no way will I ever drive in Latin America. Too scary.

I have no family to bail me out and after my accident and cancer I realized I’m totally alone in the world. So I have to look out for myself. The hot humid summers have become unbearable so I’d like to find some cooler places for those long summer months.

Well there is a distinction between van dwelling and van travelling. Dwelling travels only for the weather or special occasion. Its more a philosophy on society and living kind of deal. Often its much cheaper to drive to the closest mountain range and stay in the vacinity for the season.

couple of points

there are a lot more people doing this than just Bob.

in the winter people usually gather in the Colorado River Valley, the Gulf Coast of Texas, and in Florida. for the weather.

in the summer they scatter to all over the place. this summer Bob was in Oregon. two summers ago he was back east.

I move north to south with the seasons.

my point is you have wheels go wherever you want it's a big country.

highdesertranger

I think most people go to the southwest for the weather during the winter (plus it's super beautiful and winter is the best time to see it). During the summer, it's wide open. People go everywhere. I think the west is preferred for a few reasons. Lack of humidity, lots of mountains/high elevation, an abundance of NF and BLM land which makes finding free and legal spots easy, less people, more open spaces, the Pacific coast and from my point of view, it's a lot more beautiful overall.

The upper midwest is a wonderful place to visit, but we are just about done with decent weather for the year, that can be relied on for any stretch of time. I am in NW Ohio, and it supposed to be 55* today and sunny, 70* and rain tomorrow, but into the low 40s at night (by this time next month, highs in the 30s & 40s) . From late October until about mid April, the weather is very unpredictable in the northern half of the country.

Check out Slim Potatohead’s you tube series.  He has many quite short, and to the point, videos spotlighting the beauty and accessibility of the upper midwest as well as many other US and Canadian camping spots that whose climate and nature would be different and interesting for you.  He also has interesting ways of making camping and outdoor life more comfortable.  As the weather changes into spring, drive on; one road leads to another.

Kansas has some really nice army corp campgrounds that are free to stay from Oct 1 to April, on various lakes.  Max 14 day stay.

I like most of SlimPotatoHead's videos about insulating his small camper, and heating it in the Winter. He kind of thinks and acts like I do on approaching new projects.

Elbear1 said:
I miss the east already. Maybe im over romanticizing but the appalachians have a certain ancient feeling I dont get in the west. Western north carolina up through the Shenandoah's this time of year is just amazing.
Sorry but the Black Hills beats them, the Black Hills are older by .6 billion years. Of course it is really just about how it feels to you versus a measly  few million years :)

highdesertranger said:
.  this summer Bob was in Oregon.  two summers ago he was back east.

For that change in location Bob was not following the weather, he was following where his mother was as he helps her, she has some health issues. She was in Florida but then she moved to Oregon.

maki2 said:
Sorry but the Black Hills beats them, the Black Hills are older by .6 billion years. Of course it is really just about how it feels to you versus a measly  few million years :)

Almost as old as I feel this morning!

wanderin.pat said:
For example, I tried to find some federal land to boondock on in Texas.... other than Big Bend Natl Park, doesn't seem to be much.  

If you want free camping, and passing thru the panhandle: Lake Meredith (north of Amarillo) is free for up to 2 weeks if boondocking.

You do NOT want to be there in the winter or summer, but spring and fall are tolerable. Fall can be especially nice.

Latest posts