Where to go for diesel heater install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanlifenment

Reaction score
Hi community, 

I started vanlife in the summer and it's clear that my Southern California background will make winter impossible without a decent heater. I know the Chinese diesel heater is a simple install, but I don't have the expertise or tools to do it myself. What kind of company should I be researching for this? It seems outside the range of a typical mechanic, and I want it done right so it doesn't end up being a hassle. Please also feel free to recommend specific folks in the southwest region of the US, if you know of any. I'm currently in California but close to Nevada and Arizona. Thank you, fam!

Proper installation is critical for reliable heat. There are heavy truck mechanics who install and repair diesel heaters so you might inquire at truck repair shops. Other than that maybe you can find someone in the RV world with installation experience.

Come to the east coast.... I'll give you a diesel heater and help you install it free.

Camper said:
Come to the east coast.... I'll give you a diesel heater and help you install it free.

Wow.  What an offer.  Can you extend that to someone actually ON the East Coast ?   :p

I've found diesel heaters to be the very best overall heating solution for RV's.
Probably over a million in use.

I tried propane.....the moisture was a deal breaker....mold and mildew city.....plus propane is getting expensive....and had to leave windows open also.
Tried wood stove.....too messy....consumes too much O2...have to leave windows open....and wood is not cheap...unless you cut your own...here comes "messy" again
Tried electric...WAY too much power consumption.

Just my personal experience.

I made the offer to the OP first, if he can't make the trip, then it is yours. Do you have a van?

Camper said:
I made the offer to the OP first, if he can't make the trip, then it is yours.  Do you have a van?
Thanks for the offer, but no thank you. It's all you, PeterPiper!

hugemoth said:
Proper installation is critical for reliable heat. There are heavy truck mechanics who install and repair diesel heaters so you might inquire at truck repair shops. Other than that maybe you can find someone in the RV world with installation experience.
This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you, hugemoth! I'll start calling diesel truck mechanics and see if I can find someone who's experienced.

Camper said:
I made the offer to the OP first, if he can't make the trip, then it is yours.  Do you have a van?

Yes I do.  And I intend to live out of it at times.
But I would probably use your heater to help someone else needing help near me.

I already have several and really like them.
As far as installation, that is right up my alley of experience.
If some one not too far from me needed it and needed help I would pass on the good will.

Kind of you to make the offer.

Best Regards

Vanlifenment said:
This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you, hugemoth! I'll start calling diesel truck mechanics and see if I can find someone who's experienced.

In addition to that, I would think that the skills required to do any quality auto repairs would give one the skills to install this heater.
Or anyone who is mechanically inclined and attentive to detail.

It's not a difficult install by any means.   The hardest part probably being making the holes correctly to pass the pipes through and mounting the fuel supply.

They sell All In One units that simplify things as well, but from experience,  a word of advice regarding those........

Replace the fuel lines inside with very good quality diesel fuel line and do not skimp on ensuring they are properly secured.

I have seen the internal fuel lines come off and drain fuel all over the place on brand new units.

Good luck

PeterPiper said:
I already have several and really like them.
As far as installation, that is right up my alley of experience.

A how-to video would be great!

slow2day said:
A how-to video would be great!

IIRC...there are already more than a few on YouTube......

Easy to find.  No need to reinvent the wheel.   :thumbsup:

The most common mistake I've seen with diesel heater installations is combustion air restrictions. Too many bends in the inlet and\or exhaust, tubes too long, no water drain holes in exhaust tube low points. These screw up the fuel\air ratio, like leaving the choke on in an old car. Carbon builds up and eventually the heater won't ignite\ just pumps out unburnt vapor. Most of the manuals that come with the heaters illustrate how they should be plumbed.

I've now made a bunch of calls to diesel truck mechanics and RV repair shops (on a mechanic'srecommendation), but no one had the first clue what I was talking about. Can anyone provide a specific recommendation of someone they know has experience with these installs in the southwest?

You have a few issues here.

One, diesel engine repair shops are expensive...cost per hour can easily exceed $150. Expect several hours of labor.

No one in the trucking industry calls those things diesel heaters. They are 'bunk heaters'. Use that term if you talk to anyone in a truck shop.

Anyone you find to install one will most likely be installing one of those units for the first time, unless you have contracted with a shop that does APU installs in new or late model class 8 trucks.

They are taking a chance installing your chinese diesel bunk heater...what if it fails in 2 weeks or catches fire or who knows what...who will YOU go after? They have no way of guaranteeing the parts in a box you brought in.

Word of advice: either install it yourself or get it installed by a handyman you know and trust, or get rid of it and buy something else.

tx2sturgis said:
You have a few issues here.

One, diesel engine repair shops are expensive...cost per hour can easily exceed $150. Expect several hours of labor.

No one in the trucking industry calls those things diesel heaters. They are 'bunk heaters'. Use that term if you talk to anyone in a truck shop.

Anyone you find to install one will most likely be installing one of those units for the first time, unless you have contracted with a shop that does APU installs in new or late model class 8 trucks.

They are taking a chance installing your chinese diesel bunk heater...what if it fails in 2 weeks or catches fire or who knows what...who will YOU go after? They have no way of guaranteeing the parts in a box you brought in.

Word of advice: either install it yourself or get it installed by a handyman you know and trust, or get rid of it and buy something else.
Thank you for the terminology correction, I'll see if that helps. I know that things could go horribly wrong if not done correctly, which is why I'm not doing the install. Unfortunately, I didn't invite my handyperson to join me when I hit the road, so that's not an option. I don't expect anyone to guarantee uncertified parts, and I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing so I don't get killed or have to come back later for adjustments or repairs. However, heating my van is a necessity, and after a lot of research, this is the best long-term solution. The install cost is what it is - that can't be helped. 

Maybe a van conversation company would be the best option? They probably have the most experience with these installs. Anyone have any recommendations?

I would assume if you made a trip to a caravan group someone could help install it.

Are there diesel heaters that are higher quality? Perhaps not Chinese? Maybe with a quieter fuel pump?