Where to camp if going full time next week

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynb

Reaction score
Hey fellow travelers.

Going fulltime next week.  I know that some folks are now in Colorado.  When are you guys going to start filtering south?  Is Nevada a good choice to head to?  Ill be leaving from Louisiana, and cant wait to head west.  Any advice on National forests or BLM where folks are heading to this month would be greatly appreciated.

it is still hot in the lower elevations in the west. you need elevation. Nevada has some higher elevations but they are very remote. have you ever explored Nevada? I wouldn't advise a newbie to look for places in Nevada until it cools down a little. I am in eastern Oregon and I will heads south when it cools down so I have been watching the temps. highdesertranger

Glynb said:
Ill be leaving from Louisiana, and cant wait to head west.  Any advice on National forests or BLM where folks are heading to this month would be greatly appreciated.

If you will be heading west thru New Mexico be advised that the campgrounds at the state parks there are closed until Sept.30

Some are open for dispersed but have no facilities in operation (toilets,trash,showers,etc.).

(link to NM state parks site below):

https://newmexicostateparks.reserve...archResult.do?onsaleCode=NMStateParksWeekends.

slow2day said:
If you will be heading west thru New Mexico be advised that the campgrounds at the state parks there are closed until Sept.30

https://newmexicostateparks.reserve...archResult.do?onsaleCode=NMStateParksWeekends.

However, there's dispersed camping in the mountains. The Sangre de Cristo and Tusas ranges in the north central part of the state, the Jemez Mountains northwest of Albuquerque, the Sacramento range sort of in the center by Alamogordo and Ruidoso, and the Mogollon Mountains in the southwest. The weather situation changes with latitude and elevation.

Look for recommendations at the various resources, like Campendium, FreeCampsites.net and iOverlander. Then check the forecasts.

Oh, and there aren't any big fires (fingers crossed) in New Mexico.

If I was going someplace next week I'd go to the area around the south Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Go to https://freecampsites.net/    look the free national forest camping to the east of Tusayan, AZ. 
I've stayed there a few times, hiked down to the town & rode the free shuttle bus into the park (I have a pass for National Parks, they sell them). I can't get enough of looking at the canyon and I've enjoyed the camping there in the Kaibab NF. https://goo.gl/maps/75gb17H4TsvSp9Vb7
All my camping has been by road 302 but there are a lot of other roads in the area.

I'd use the "Trip Planner" on freecampsite.net just to see what was on the way between where you are and there. 

I had a friend who would put his ultimate destination in the planner, give as wide a latitude for searching as it would allow and pick a camp for what shows up about how far he was willing to drive the next day and go there. He'd explore and when he was ready to move he put his ultimate destination in the trip planner and do it again.

Have fun and good luck!

becida said:
If I was going someplace next week I'd go to the area around the south Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Be aware that the Navajo Nation, which borders Grand Canyon on the east, is closed to non-Navajos because of the pandemic. The eastern part of the park is closed, too. So access to the South Rim needs to be from the south, via 180 from Flagstaff or 64 from Williams. 

The good news is when I was there at the end of August, it wasn't crowded at all.

Seems like most people from Colorado have decided to come to Utah as there is perceived to be less of a chance of getting the virus while on Lake Powell on a boat. Apparently many got together and bought a boat which they share with as many as 40 owners, crazy just crazy. Boat sales, RV sales and even tents are hard to find in western Colorado. Our park has been at 130% visitation for months now even with record heat. There is still lots of camping available even though it may be more crowded than normal.

I'm in Flagstaff now and it's getting chilly at night with comfortable daytime temperatures. Next I'll move down to the Cottonwood area and finally all the way down to Quartzsite/Yuma as it cools down there.