Where to buy t slider window track?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanlife2020

Reaction score
T slider window in our 2000 Dodge Ram van 1500 leaking. Just cleaned out weep holes, helped a little but noticed the window track where window slides is broken. I’m having a hard time finding where to buy replacement from. Some say I will need to diy a replacement.

It’s narrow and made of plastic...help please it’s been raining and don’t want to get water damage inside!

939FC4DB-49A2-4B44-8F8D-DCB6E5F0AE83.jpeg

Attachments

• 939FC4DB-49A2-4B44-8F8D-DCB6E5F0AE83.jpeg
    939FC4DB-49A2-4B44-8F8D-DCB6E5F0AE83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
If it's leaking badly you may want to seal it with RTV and make do with the other windows + fans, roof vent.

It would be labor intensive but RTV can be removed if you find a replacement track later.

not a big problem it is not difficult to find but it does take a little bit of searching to find just the right size. I do suggest replacing it with one of the flexible track products instead of using ridged plastic as the flexible should hold up longer and also be easier to put into place. Some companies are even making it out of silicone rubber for self lubricating sliding.

You need to know the width of the channel it fits into, the thickness of your glass and the depth of the original piece from top to bottom outside dimension.

Then you go shopping with those dimensions for a substitute product. Keywords you need for your online search for sources are.... RV window glazing channel Finding stuff quickly is always about knowing the keywords that will bring it up in a search.

Try eBay, there are some sellers who sell in smaller quantity lengths.

One thing to note when I went shopping for a replacement for the track for my 1971 vintage trailer I had to cut a few slots along the bottom edges so the water could run out of that track and into the drain channel underneath so it could exit out the weep holes in the frame. Where there is a will there is a way to adapt alternative choices to make the windows functional again. The critical part is taking good dimensions and matching them with something that fits inside the aluminum extrusion and is the right width of channel for the perfect fit for the thickness of the glass. It does not need to be the identical material of the original but it does need to be a close match for size.

Tribal knowledge from a person who has no choice but to fix and repair.

slow2day said:
If it's leaking badly you may want to seal it with RTV and make do with the other windows + fans, roof vent.

It would be labor intensive but RTV can be removed if you find a replacement track later.
no need to resort to sealing the window up with RTV, they can get a replacement track.

^
You should think about what is actually being conveyed in post #3.

Post #1 says: "help please it’s been raining and don’t want to get water damage inside!"

If it's NOT leaking badly and they can WAIT to find a track then fine.

If not, RTV is an alternative. The choice is theirs to make.

PS: Autozone sells a .5 oz. tube of Permatex UltraBlack RTV that should be enough to do the job for about $4.

As my hero Red Green would say - try duct tape as a temporary fix. I always have a roil in the tool bag. "I'm a man .. but I can change...if I want too"

slow2day said:
^
You should think about what is actually being conveyed in post #3.

Post #1 says: "help please it’s been raining and don’t want to get water damage inside!"

If it's NOT leaking badly and they can WAIT to find a track then fine.

If not, RTV is an alternative. The choice is theirs to make.

PS: Autozone sells a .5 oz. tube of Permatex UltraBlack RTV that should be enough to do the job for about $4.
unfortunately silicone leaves a residue behind that is difficult to remove. There are other caulks made for RV windows that do not have that issue.

^
Of course there are other alternatives. The severity of the leak may dictate how much time they spend assessing their situation and researching which of the numerous options they will go with. That should be plain to anyone.

Latest posts