Where do shotguns fit into the picture?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
When people talk self-protection with a gun, they're usually talking hand guns.  Sure, I can see that, but where does a shotgun fit into the picture, moving from state to state, legally?

Never mind. There's another post down lower that I didn't see. It looks like most of my questions are answered there.

I assume you found your answer already, but for the sake of future searches by others looking for the same answer, can you link to or quote the answer? My answer to that question from https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Shotgun-in-a-Van...

Van-Tramp said:
Yea, a shotgun will do a lot of things including great bear protection as well as home protection. No where in the USA are pump-shotguns illegal. Makes them easy to bring over state lines without too much worry, unlike handguns (although not illegal, there are a lot of different laws regarding the transport of a handgun in each state/county/city). While it is legal to carry a shotgun openly and loaded in just about anywhere in the USA, it just is not practical to carry such a large gun for personal protection outside the van. So, it protecting your SELF is the reason you are thinking of a gun, a handgun is the way to go. If protecting your HOME is the primary reason, I like shotguns for that.

The two things I would recommend taking the time to consider is..
1) You do have to keep it unloaded while in a vehicle (hunting laws) making it not-so-great for an "oh sh1t I need it now" type of weapon.
2) Can you move around in your van with a shotgun? You may need to rotate and move about very fast, can you?

A Shotgun makes a very good tool for home defense if that home is limited to 1 person, or a few who all share a room
Hear a burglar? roll off the bed with it between you and the door, get the shotgun ready, and call 911
OTOH, if you have a child who sleeps in another room, you will likely want to round said kid up for their protection
This is where a shotgun loses its shine
Even in a house, clearing doors, etc. with it is more trouble than doing the same with a handgun, and if a goblin pops up between you and the kid's room, you gotta worry about any pellet that misses the goblin penetrating the wall / door and getting the kid, too
in a van, a shotgun is gonna be very hard to maneuver
I live in a small travel trailer, 16x8, so 14x8 interior space, a bit bigger than a van, and the door is right at the foot (or head) of my bed
with that close quarters, a pistol makes the most sense
when I lived in an apartment, the shotgun was by the bed
all my stuff is mostly thrift shop stuff

OG-AC384_openca_G_20140822132909.jpg

States that Prohibit Open Carrying of Long Guns
California
District of Columbia
Florida
Illinois
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey

States that Restrict, But Do Not Prohibit, the Open Carrying of Long Guns
Iowa
Michigan
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia

In Texas, open carry of hand gun is allowed - with permit - as of 2016. Open carry of long gun has always been allowed even without permit.

One of the big advantages of living in a vehicle is that you can usually drive away from danger.

In the three years I've been vandwelling, there have been only two times I felt like I should get my gun out of its locked compartment—and that was because I had spooked myself. There was no actual danger, just my mind messing with me. Once I had the gun handy, my mind kept feeding on the situation. How quickly could I grab the gun? Which direction would trouble be coming from? What if I miss but they don't? And so on.

If I were really concerned with my safety, I'd get a dog. Dogs are also better companions.

"Open Carry" is not the same as transporting in a vehicle. Apples and oranges.

Check the specific laws that pertain to your situation...to be safe and legal.

I'll say nothing invokes more fear in someone than the sound of a round being racked into a pump shotgun. I really wish they'd push to make state permits accepted federally, same as a driver's license. But with all the BS surrounding gun ownership right now, not sure we'll be seeing that anytime in the near future. Wish I was an LEO just for the privilege of being able to carry in all 50 with out a hassle.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I'll say nothing invokes more fear in someone than the sound of a round being racked into a pump shotgun.

However, there are self/home defense people that say you don't want to be wasting time trying to scare off an intruder. The racking sound only tells the bad guy where you are. Just be ready to shoot. Besides, the bad guy might not be where he can hear you rack the slide. Or he might have bad hearing.

MrNoodly said:
However, there are self/home defense people that say you don't want to be wasting time trying to scare off an intruder. The racking sound only tells the bad guy where you are. Just be ready to shoot. Besides, the bad guy might not be where he can hear you rack the slide. Or he might have bad hearing.

Also, there is the chance that the round will misfeed at the worst possible moment.

Use speakers in multiple locations playing back multiple shotguns being racked and an aggressive dog(s) growling and barking to disorient the intruders. Strobe lights added for visual effect for the deaf.

Svenn said:
States that Prohibit Open Carrying of Long Guns
California
District of Columbia
Florida
Illinois
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey
Added note for NJ. It is a violation in New Jersey to carry firearms anywhere in a vehicle without calling the local police dept and advising them of your intent to transport firearms and your destination.

As I have mentioned earlier, I keep a break-open shotgun and bolt rifle in my Ford Explorer. Lately, I have been using it a lot to teach the J-1 work visa holders I work with how to shoot. I've taught Serbians, Moldovans, Taiwanese, Chinese, Jamaicans, Russians, Japanese and Uzbeks so far. The company frowns upon guns being visible in my truck in the dorm parking lot, but I generally keep them somewhat out of sight and I haven't gotten into trouble. Being in western Wyoming, we are blessed with thousands of square miles of national forest land to shoot on.

Shotguns make sense for tent camping bear defense. Loaded with a 1.4 ounce Brenneke slug, even a single shot H&R will put the hurt on an attacking bear and my shoulder, hopefully one more than the other. An ounce of prevention is better than 1.4 ounces of cure though. I also have a rubber "wildlife control" slug available for use. For meth-head defense, a load of Remington 00 works well, but again it is best to avoid camping in their hangouts. Firing out your window into the air can scare away creepy desert lurkers. For defense against carjackers and knife-wielding hitchhikers, a shotgun stows nicely along the driver door pillar and is easily brought into action. #7.5 birdshot is plenty for close-up defense.

A shotgun is not ideal for many purposes, but it can do almost anything. Besides, the bore pressure at the muzzle of a shotgun is around 3000 psi, while the bore pressure at the muzzle of a 4.5'' 9mm pistol is 26000 psi. Which blast will leave you with devastating permanent hearing loss if fired within a metal-walled box with no ear protection?

Van-Tramp: "I assume you found your answer already, but for the sake of future searches by others looking for the same answer, can you link to or quote the answer?"

The info was included generally in this thread: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Shotgun-in-a-Van

I was curious because practically everyone talks hand guns, but you have to have quite a bit of experience to use them. With adrenaline flowing, even cops seem to have problems hitting what they aim at (or vice versa). I don't have the time, money or inclination to get trained with one. With a shotgun, you can aim in the general direction if you really need to shoot.

For me, using it would be the choice of last resort, the final back-up.

Thus far, paying attention, using common sense and having a dog with me has always worked, but my smart dog had to be put down last summer, and I'm left with the dumb rescue. And she's old (almost 16) and her hearing is going. I'm very choosy about my dogs, and don't like to make impulsive decisions that turn into regretful mistakes. I made one, and I'm not about to do it again. No dog should suffer rejection because its owner made a stupid decision based on haste.

The other part of my question was the legality of carrying it from state to state, which seems to be okay.

The only other question I had was about barrel length. I would go with the shortest legal length (for obvious reasons), and my neighbor said 18" is the standard short length in all states.

Your thought process is good TrainChaser. You are doing it right by not getting the handgun then. I commend you for that.

For Shotguns, an 18.5" barrel is the shortest you may have by Federal Law (without a special permit). If you walked into a gun store and asked for a "home defense" shotgun, you would likely be handed a shotgun with an 18.5 inch barrel on it (they are detachable and replaceable by the way). If you asked for a hunting shotgun, you would likely get one with a 26 inch barrel (better for hitting birds in flight at greater distances). You let the person know what your gun is to be used for and they will direct you accordingly.

If you are seriously shopping around, some of the most popular pump-action shotguns are the Mosberg 500 and the Remington 870. You will not go wrong with either and they will be available everywhere you go, including your local Walmart. Mosberg has a cheaper version of the 500, I own one, called the Maverick Series. Mine is a Maverick 88 and shares attachments and many parts with the 500. It costs about $100 less and may be worth the savings since you do not plan to use it regularly.

I would recommend getting a feel for the weight of a shotgun before buying one. You can find them under $200 but they tend to be very heavy ones (12+ pounds). My Mav 88 is something close to 7lbs and gets heavy real fast. Imagine failing to be able to hold up your shotgun if a bad guy was threatening you... not good. Light is good, so get a lighter one.

Then there is the "gauge". For the standard gauges; 12 gauge is the norm that you hear, it has a pretty big kick when you shoot. 20 gauge is the next step down, and 410 gauge is the smallest. Basic "bird" or "target" shells in each are easy to find and are cheap, even at your local Walmart, but for defense shells you may want to go with the 12 gauge as it will have more variety. "Bird" shot are dozens of tiny lead pellets that will take down a bird and not much more. 00-buck (double ought buckshot) is the standard. Inside each shell is 9 (usually) pellets the size of 9mm handgun bullets, great against badguys, with explode a bird, and will anger a bear. "Slugs" are a single large lead pellet that will penatrate a car's engine, and stop a bigass bear too. They do have a hybrid (my favorite) that has both a single smaller slug and a few large pellets for a mix of the 00-buck and slug capabilities. I like those for multi-purpose defense rounds.

It will be perfectly legal to transport the shotgun across state lines... as long as it is unloaded. You must keep it unloaded in your vehicle, which means it is not so great of a defense *in a hurry*. Keep your shells nearby the gun, and learn how to load it quickly (even under stress). DO... and I mean this... DO get out and use it from time to time, even if it is only a few shots when you are camped out in the middle of nowhere. You will be more dangerous to yourself if you never practice with it. That guy will need cleaning regularly (monthly, quarterly at least) so learn to clean it. Shotguns are not the easiest guns to put back together, so if you need help go into a local gun shop and ask (go in without the gun first, ask, then bring it in). They will help.

Lastly, take yourself a hunter safety course at the very least. They are usually offered FOR FREE at your local sporting good stores (Cabellas, JAX, etc) and will teach you the basics of gun-safety and additional legalities.

also be ready to spend between 1 to 50 years in jail for involuntary manslaughter/homicide depending if anyone dies , if the kids, or anyone else gets their hands on it and start playing shoot them up games. Did you know that Japan had ONE incident of death by firearms last year, and eight crimes were committed with the use of firearms,,, of course Japan is much smaller then the US with only 127 million people. if it was as big as the US 318 million, it's death by firearms would be much closer to the US numbers, like 200% closer which is almost THREE, to the US's 33,000 deaths by firearms, however it would still fall short by 32,997 lives....Just saying if you do the math, firearms don't seem to be working ... there are roughly one death per year from Bears in the US and that includes Alaska.

comparing the US to another country is an apples to oranges comparison, and so is using ONLY gun violence, this is a misleading argument
Folks who want to hurt each other and don't have guns use other tools
compare the US to the US in higher and lower gun ownership areas and you get a better picture
Here gun ownership does work
as far as doing time for involuntary manslaughter, that depends on you
Use it only if actually necessary and have good legal counsel

flying kurbmaster said:
also be ready to spend between 1 to 50 years in jail for involuntary manslaughter/homicide depending if anyone dies , if the kids, or anyone else gets their hands on it and start playing shoot them up games.

That is not true. That only applies if you are proven to be NEGLIGENT in how you store the gun (such as leaving it in the child's crib, loaded), but since a shotgun has to be stored/transported unloaded in a vehicle there is no negligence. Let's not use BS scare-tactics to muddy up the facts, OK?

The USA is not Japan, so.. yea. Lame comparison.

Lets not forget that gun ownership in this country has increased 10-fold in the past 3 decades, all while gun deaths have been cut in half. It's the one stat that anti-gunners can not refute. More guns HAS equaled less gun deaths in the US and no amount of scare tactics can prove it wrong.

19 killed by knife in Japan just yesterday BTW. They still have regular mass murders, just by using a different tool.

Latest posts