Where can I buy a really big starter battery for my bus.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinko

Reaction score
I have an E-450 based cutaway shuttle bus.  I was having trouble getting it to start and finally solved the problem.  My other starter battery has a bad cell.  Unfortunately this thing is HUGE.  The size of 3 or 4 normal vehicle batteries.  

specs: C8D3, CCA 1300, CA 1560, RC 435

How does one go about replacing such a thing.  Will they just order one for me at advanced auto?   Sorry if this is kind of a silly question.  

Thanks in advance!

What year? Gasser or diesel? I just replaced the starters in my 2006 Ford E450 w/ 6.0L Dieael. 2 (two) 850cca Duracells. Set me back about $250. Specs was a little less but the starters were wired to the wheelchair lift as well. Don't replace just one. Always do both unless it's a warranty replacement when they are still relatively new.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh, and don't buy batteries from Advance! Get a quote then do a google search while in the store ... then walk out indisgust. Check Batteries Plus! 10% discount if ordered online for store pick up.

the stinker said:
My other starter battery has a bad cell.  Unfortunately this thing is HUGE.  

How does one go about replacing such a thing.  

Do you have the International 7.3L diesel?  I can't think of any other reason to have that size of a starter battery.  And what do you mean by your OTHER starter battery?   You have two?  What are the specs on that one?

Its an '03.  7.3L powerstroke.  In my engine bay i have a 850 cca battery as well as the 1300 cca battery which is/was located in a slide out battery bay on the side.  It is definitely hard wired to the rear AC/heater and probably also to where the wheelchair lift used to be.  

I'm sure its probably overkill but I don't know enough about batteries to start switching them around so the current plan is just to replace what was already there.  I REALLY  don't want to get stranded at some point.

I have two of the 850 cca batteries because i replaced it first thinking it was the problem, but the big battery kept draining them.  I eventually charged both of the 850 cca batteries and put one where the big battery was and one where it goes and was able to start the bus almost perfectly.  So that's the temporary fix.  

I appreciate any advice, but the question I'm asking is where to buy a replacement.  Is batteries plus the best option?  Thanks

The 8D batteries are common in big rigs. (Tractor Trailer)
You might be able to order one at a battery supply or you could check at a truck repair shop.

As mentioned , you might get enough amps out of a pair of smaller ones , measure the tray before you try this route.

CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps.  In simple english, it's the number of amps the battery can provide to the starter when the vehicle and battery are at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

As other's have said, if you can find two normal size batteries whose CCA ratings, added together, equal or exceed 1300 CCA, they will work just fine.

The two batteries would have to be wired together in parallel, NOT series, and you would probably have to modify the current ground and starter wires, or possibly replace them completely.  As well as modifying the battery tray to hold two batteries instead of one.  Depending on the price of the two batteries vs the price of the 8D, this may or may not be worth it.

If you are planning to keep this vehicle for years and years, consider looking for the BEST battery brand you can find rather than the cheapest one you can get away with.

Crown batteries is a great brand.  There are other good ones, too.

What brand of battery is in there now?  Is it marked as being Ford or Motorcraft?  You could certainly take it to a Ford dealership and they could install a battery, but that might be the most expensive way to go.

Finally, considering how much a new 8D is going to cost you, you need to be religious in checking the water level on all the cells once a month or so.

yep like OP and popeye said it's an 8D says so in the specs,

specs: C8D3, CCA 1300, CA 1560, RC 435

C8D3 tells it. a medium or heavy truck supply will have them or a heavy equipment or agriculture supply. take some Vaseline with you they won't have any. highdesertranger

Call Ford. Ask them what tje standard battwry config is for that model. My guess is you have a fantom draw from the wheelchair lift. You DO NOT need that huge ass ag battery. That was to run the lift. Ford Super Duties seem to have 2 starters by default. The BB's bump the battery size to run the lift.

diesel's need 2 regular size batteries or one big one to start because of the high compression. doesn't matter if it's a Ford, GM or PeterBuilt. using a large battery saves cabling. the lift could run off of 2 smaller batteries just as well as one large one and most of the time the lift is running so is the engine. highdesertranger

and be sure its HIGH QUALITY vaseline too,,,,they get mean if it isn't

I'd try to go with the smaller ones just for lifting factor.

I replaced my original batteries (2) in my 2003 Ford Excursion two years ago with Interstate brand because that's what I use in my Perterbilt with great success. Interstate has dealers all over the place as well as distribution centers in many major cities.

So far they have worked fine in my 7.3. The starting batts in my Pete (4 group 31) are 7 years old and doing fine; my house batts (4 group 31) are 6v flooded golf cart deep cycle, two years old and so far I'm pleased with them too.

Just my opinion . . .

Okay, so instead if running a 3 battery system or replacing the big battery, I think i'm going to try to continue to run it on the two 850cca batteries.  I looked it up and the 7.3 powerstroke comes standard with two 850cca batteries so it should be fine right?  It's certainly the cheapest and easiest option.

Good plan.
If it doesn't work THEN decide on plan B

My old E350 7.3 had 2 x interstates one was wired to the back under the exhaust a real PItA to reach and do fluid checks Cummins are under the hood Yah, Yes off topic but I bet with 2 "regular" size batteries you will do just fine.