what's the cheapest/best roadside assistance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rarely are something both the "cheapest" and the "best". Cheapest is none ("self insured")...probably followed by cell phone plans (around $3/month). Last year, I switched to the Good Sam RV Plan. ~$125/year. unlimited distance towing to nearest facility (AAA RV plan is $150/year) because it gave me peace of mind that I would not get a nasty towing bill.

My runner up is Better World Club. Around $95 a year but they will tow you up to 100 miles. They are far more environmentally conscious than AAA, if that matters to you. If AAA is lower priced where you sign up, BWC will match.

To make your decision, you should think about what matters to you most -- cost vs. features. What is the condition of your vehicle? Are you stranded often? Can you make routine repairs yourself? How far, on average, is nearest garage?

You should also check with your auto insurance or credit card company for their offers.

Hi Kathy,
I currently have aaa (for passenger car), but aaa doesn't tow cars on dirt roads, so I am thinking switching to Good Sam. I have called them to clarify what kind of dirt road they'd cover. The operator kept repeating "state-maintain road". Do you know if they cover the dirt roads inside National parks or county road?
Also, aaa has offices that you can go in to get paper maps, does Good Sam offer free paper maps? Thank you so much in advance.

I don't have any numbers to share, but I want to say that the one time in my life that I ever had to use roadside assistance (last winter) I got just terrific service from my carrier, Progressive. I was so impressed by the way they took care of me that I would encourage anyone to consider them, though it may be that you have to have your other coverage with them to qualify for the roadside assist option.

My Progressive person got right on it, located the nearest service provider (no mean feat, as I was out in the middle of the desert), and called me every fifteen minutes to make sure I was OK. She even got the service provider to call me and keep me updated on his ETA.

Wow! I'm still amazed at how well they coordinated the emergency response. And my cost? 0.00.

Johnny

DIY is the cheapest, and the fastest, because-- you are already there -so no travel time. Also DIY works when there is no cell service, so better than calling the brother in law. ~ the crofter

suemulberry said:
-Do you know if they cover the dirt roads inside National parks or county road?

They will not service off-road, which they define as "any area OFF hard-packed or graded dirt public road, paved street, driveway, parking lot, highway, freeway, expressway or adjacent shoulder".  Luckily, I've not had to test them on this yet!

I am unable to find anyone who specifically provides service Forest service roads and similar areas.

-Also, aaa has offices that you can go in to get paper maps, does Good Sam offer free paper maps?

Nope.  No paper maps.

Latest posts