What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Choochie Nawai - Shop Steward:

"No more that kind. No more. I need the brand Bobby. Shit, I coming to shame already Bobby. People looking. They LOOKING. I stay inside the wahine aisle at Longs yelling at my damn drug dealer kid on one small piece plastic dat play da Lone Ranger song when supposed to ring like one RING. Help me out Bobby, what's the brand!

FIND OUT THE F***ING BRAND!!!

Okay, now ask her what size."

View attachment 31423View attachment 31423View attachment 31424

Are you LOL IRL? I am!

It’s a good thing this is your thread — I don’t expect we can get into too much trouble for going off topic into the culture of Hawaii Longs here 😆 Thanks for copying that bit. I think I might have to read that book again someday.

Evening all.

Later post than usual and I almost didn't summon the energy to do it! Nothing last night, it was a rainy day yesterday, I just ate my leftover stirfry for dinner, but I did do some cooking because I had an appointment at the TTown VA today for routine stuff (involved putting several holes in my arm :cautious: too)... Anyway, I had saved my porkchop dripping from the other night - never throw good drippings away, homemade gravy is the best) so I made some gravy from it along with flour, stock, S&P, and some rosemary and thyme.

I also had half that pork roast left also from stirfry night, so I sliced it up and simmered it in the gravy with plenty of mushrooms till it was was thick and the meat was tender. Then I stuck it in the fridge to meld planning on eating it tonight and not having to cook after a long day. Know what? It's STLL there. :LOL:. I just had a sandwich instead. It'll be even better tomorrow.

Looking like more rain tomorrow but today was very nice. I even took the long way home through some really pretty country in Bibb County. Always nice to be on the road. Wish I could have just kept on going! Anyway, I've posted some pics of my not eaten dinner and I hope you folks out there certainly DID eat your dinner and it was a good one. Stay dry and safe out there!

Cheers!

KIMG0907.JPGKIMG0909.JPGKIMG0911.JPG

Good Lord! NOT HUGO!!!!! o_O
Not graveyard, and not retail store, thank the FSM. Not being coy, either, but also not posting for the whole wide world to see exactly where I work, cause the whole wide world has creeps in it 🙊 I wake up at 3:30 AM like bakers do, but am not baking for dough. (See what I did there?😏)

Tonight I ate peanut butter and Cammalu’s delicious pawpaw and blueberry preserves with a slice of sourdough. For some reason, I stopped making peanut butter sandwiches about a year ago and now just spoon the stuff into a bowl and dip whatever into it.

I’ve not got much interest or energy for cooking these days, and since I’m staying indefinitely where it gets HOT, I don’t think that’ll change much for a while. I am still baking sourdough outside though. My starter Hugo would just die if I neglected him too long. Literally die.
o_OGood LORD! Not HUGO!!!o_O I still think you need to start a pop up bakery and subscription service... Or get together with someone and cater custom sandwiches on your bread. How about manapua? The baked kine. I make them all the time and they're a hit.

Are you LOL IRL? I am!

It’s a good thing this is your thread — I don’t expect we can get into too much trouble for going off topic into the culture of Hawaii Longs here 😆 Thanks for copying that bit. I think I might have to read that book again someday.
They're closing 2 in Hawaii. CVS is the owner and they're also closing 17 store in San Fran from what I understand.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/04/13/cvs-closing-2-longs-drugs-locations-hawaii/
I heard that if you steal less than $1000 bucks worth of stuff in San Fran, they let you take it and don't arrest you. Bad for retail business models if true...

Cheers!

Evening all! Double post tonight. Last night's storm knocked out my local provider's downlink till late. I don't mind though. They're a local Mom & Pop outfit who predate all of the big service providers here (we're THAT remote). They cost more but I think it's important to support local folks instead of faceless megacorps.

They have great service, know me by name when I go to pay my bill, being absent minded (it's the only bill I pay in person) when I occasionally forget, they give me a call and say "Mr. J, you forgot to pay your bill!" They joke they don't dare cut me off because they wouldn't get any goodies from my trips home to Hi (they're very partial to CaraMacs).

The owner's son runs a tree trimming service on the side using one of his folk's bucket trucks and I always hire him to take care of my tree stuff. It's really nice to just make a call if I'm having problems and knowing in about half an hour to an hour or so on average, one of their trucks will pull up and the service guy will say: "Hi Mr. J, what's the problem?"

I guess they call that "Old Fashioned Service" nowadays. Back in the past (long past) times, we called it "normal"... Nice it still exists, even in little pockets in the middle of nowhere...

Last night I had my Pot Roasted Pork over toast with butter beans and a sliced mater on the side. Tonight I had an old comfort food oddity from my childhood. Something my Mom would have me start if she was running late. Lap Cheong Chinese Sausage steamed in the rice cooker right on top of the rice. Added an egg on top (sorta a gravyless Loco Moco), some homemade cucumber kimchee, and a dash of pickled ginger. Nice and easy, and tasty to boot!

The Chinese make excellent sausages (and ham too) and I grew up eating them often. In fact, these are from home, I've saving them since my last trip in Sep in the freezer. It's ridiculously easy to make and the Lap Cheong flavors the rice really well. Best of all, the cold rice and sausage make a KILLA fried rice for breakfast! Some Hawaiian Chili Peppa Water squirted on top and den you WHACKUM de Grindz! :love:

Anyhow, that's it for tonight. Hopefully everyone out there is doing well, has a full stomach, and has a nice spot to bed down in for the evening. Take care of yourselves out there!

Cheers!

KIMG0916.JPGKIMG0912.JPG

Evening all. Yet another day of the Agricultural Purgatorio I've been engaged in for weeks now. You only have a short window in the early Spring to do a lot of things so you gotta take advantage of it. My roses have started to bloom and it looks like it's going to be a good year for them.

We're expecting another round of bad weather this weekend, but I couldn't hold off any longer on getting my baby veggies into the ground. It's just been too cool to have done it before with the ground temps in the 40's. Not warm enough for planting hot weather crops like peppers, eggplants, and cucumbers.

I've been keeping the flats in at nights and putting them out during the days. The ground's warmer now and they're too big to keep doing this, sooooo, into the earth they went. Hopefully it's gonna workout!

Also had to get the yard mowed and trimmed for Easter (habit) and everything squared away for another round of rain so I'm pretty beat. To the point that I DELETED my dinner photo by accident. 😭 Tonight it was short and sweet. Homemade French Bread Pizza with pepperoni, shrooms, and onions. I always keep a loaf of French bread in the freezer already halved and quartered to make things easy. I brush the frozen bread cut side w EVOO to seal it and add cheese (on the bottom), crushed tomatoes, toppings and bake in a 425 F oven for about 12 min and then broil for 2 min.

Comes out great and better than the Stouffer's brand (they stole the idea from Rutger's University's famous grease trucks - the "inventor" went to Rutger's or Cornell IIR). A couple of shake of red pepper and parm along with a cold one and it was a pretty good end to a long day. Hopefully all of you have a had a less strenuous day than mine because this crap is getting OLD!!!

Stay safe out there.

Cheers!

Evening all. Today can only be described as the proverbial "Raining Cats and Dogs" day. It's been heavy rain from the time I woke up this morning and all through the day until it finally stopped just a bit ago. We're apparently having a respite until early am and then it's supposed to resume with a vengeance through Sun night with the usual host of severe weather threats. So if you're in the SE and in the way, stay battened down and dry and keep your eyes on the sky!

Didn't do a thing today (did enough yesterday and I'm glad I did and got it out of the way). Wasn't feeling to hungry this evening so I decided to run with another iteration of homemade French Bread Pizza. This time I came up with: (OK it was all odds and ends) A riff on CPK's BBQ Chicken Pizza. Only this one was defrosted BBQ Pork and leftover Hot and Sweet Sausage pizza with the last of the mushrooms and some onions with mooz and cheddar cheeses drizzled on top and below w KC BBQ sauce. Same cooking times as last night.

It was good but I think I'm a traditionalist and I like the tomato based one from last night better. No complaints though, it was good, hot, and filling. As I always tell Sam: "We're 2 lucky dogs"! I'm thankful for what I have. Everything I need and some of what I want... Can't ask anymore than that. Hope all of you out there can say the same about your situation. If not, hang in there and "Keep Swimming". Don't give up!

Stay safe out there.

Cheers!

KIMG0921.JPGKIMG0923.JPG

Evening all! Hope all of you who celebrate Easter had a good and spiritually uplifting one (of course, if you're Orthodox, you'll have to wait till the 24th this year). I went to a get together yesterday and didn't get back till late - so no post (too FULL :LOL:) My friend B and her neighbor V cooked up a storm with all of the usual - I think Southern Women are born with a cooking gene as part of their makeup - or maybe it's in their Mama's who taught them - or their Grandmother who... You get the idea!

The rest of us contributed with this and that. I brought a tub of homemade Banana, Mango, Coconut ice cream with all the trimmings for sundaes. It was a fun time but still saddens me to no end that my wife isn't here to share the day and its true intent...

Anyway, the rain finally quit last night (as forecast it was a very rainy Easter day) and the clouds gave way in the late afternoon to clear skies. It was really nice to see the sun for the first time in several days. I got my plants moved out to get a late little sun while it was out. This looks like it's going to be a good growing year - it's been pretty cool compared to normal and my cool weather plants have really taking to it well. My Swiss Chard and Spinach have really taken off (I love them sauteed together with some olive oil and garlic).

After the stuffing from yesterday, I haven't been too hungry today. Breakfast was a light spinach, cheese, and tomato baked omelet, no lunch, and dinner was a couple of BBQ sliders with the last of my frozen Q, a couple of toasted rolls from last night, dressed w sliced onions and pickles and BBQ sauce. A tomato on the side rounded it out. Perfect!
Hopefully all of you out there had something good to satisfy your stomachs as well as your soul. Regardless of whatever your belief system is, I think pretty much everyone agrees that you only get one shot at life on this Earth. Try not to waste it!

Cheers!

(P.S. If you're flying in the near future, there's no more mask mandate (YAY!). It ended today due to a court order and all the major Airlines dropped their requirements as of this afternoon. Of course, if you wish to wear one, have at it! As for me, 13 hours in the air trying to breathe in one has been trying and I'm ready to skip that part of the trip.)

KIMG0926.JPGKIMG0927.JPG

Evening all. Tonight's a wash. I hit up the local "Not The Walmart" today because they had some good deals on their weekly sales. $2.69 pd on ground chuck, is a good price nowadays and I was feeling like burgers tonight. So I hit the veggie section (.99 cent lb Romas, 5 for $4.00 peppers, 3 for $2.00 green onions) then the meat section (large pack of burger meat $6.31) Then made the mistake of hitting the Deli's hot food section... They had just put out the fried chicken... $3.99 for 5 pieces (up from $2.99 but still a good deal).

Those little old gals really know how to fry chicken too, soooo, well, you know "The Rest of the Story"... Ate at about 3:30 so I sure wasn't hungry later but I did grill up the burgers because I like to either use or freeze hamburger meat the same day I buy it. Sam enjoyed the piece of yard bird he got (sans bones) and we'll have warmed up burgers manana. Until then, I'll leave ya with a nice sunset picture and a sincere wish you all have had a good day and a good meal to help you along on your way!

Cheers!

IMGP0024.JPG

Made tacos with canned black eyed peas, grated cheddar, onions, tomatoes and Herdez salsa.
The tortillas are some kind of really thick locally made in the Carolinas.
Very high lime content, you can smell the quicklime all over my van. Which makes them tasty when fried, but I wonder how that is for your health longterm to eat that much calcium hydroxide.

Made tacos with canned black eyed peas, grated cheddar, onions, tomatoes and Herdez salsa.
The tortillas are some kind of really thick locally made in the Carolinas.
Very high lime content, you can smell the quicklime all over my van. Which makes them tasty when fried, but I wonder how that is for your health longterm to eat that much calcium hydroxide.
Kidney Stones? Guess you'll fine out when it hurts to PEE...

:LOL:

Evening all. Another day down the tubes and it was a fine one, warm, breezy, and plenty of sun. More garden work of course, but hey! I'm a OCD kind of guy when it comes to having a neat and orderly yard. "Time for Wapner"! Anyway, this evening was easy cooking. Warmed up burgers from the batch I cooked last night dressed with onion, maters, catsup, mustard, and Jalapeno Jack Cheese. Super fast and easy.

Also grilled up a couple of NY Strip steaks to make Thai Beef Salad tomorrow night ( realized too my grill has hit 10 years in service now - pretty good for a grill). Taking a beat from the immortal "Man in Black" "My grill's a little old but it doesn't mean she's slow". I'll slice em thin, toss them with a bunch of Thai seasonings and serve in rice paper wrapped around herbs and rice stick noodles and dunked in dipping sauce. I'm drooling already! Anyone else do any cooking tonight?

Stay safe out there.

Cheers!

Attachments

• KIMG0931.JPG
    KIMG0931.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG0929.JPG
    KIMG0929.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 1
  • KIMG0930.JPG
    KIMG0930.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 1
Evening all. Tonight's a wash. I hit up the local "Not The Walmart" today because they had some good deals on their weekly sales. $2.69 pd on ground chuck, is a good price nowadays and I was feeling like burgers tonight. So I hit the veggie section (.99 cent lb Romas, 5 for $4.00 peppers, 3 for $2.00 green onions) then the meat section (large pack of burger meat $6.31) Then made the mistake of hitting the Deli's hot food section... They had just put out the fried chicken... $3.99 for 5 pieces (up from $2.99 but still a good deal).

Those little old gals really know how to fry chicken too, soooo, well, you know "The Rest of the Story"... Ate at about 3:30 so I sure wasn't hungry later but I did grill up the burgers because I like to either use or freeze hamburger meat the same day I buy it. Sam enjoyed the piece of yard bird he got (sans bones) and we'll have warmed up burgers manana. Until then, I'll leave ya with a nice sunset picture and a sincere wish you all have had a good day and a good meal to help you along on your way!

Cheers!

View attachment 31482
Never do your grocery shopping when you are hungry! A $25 trip to the supermarket snowballs into $50 because everything looks good to make for dinner!

Evening all. It was a glorious day weatherwise. You couldn't possibly ask for better temps, more sunshine, or more cloudless skies. A perfect day for a walk down by the river with Sam. My fingers were itching for my fishing pole but I had other things to do so I contented myself with a walkie.

Dinner tonight was Thai Grilled Beef Salad. - Thin sliced grilled steak I made last night, tossed with red onions, chopped lemon grass, fresh mint, cucumbers, and tomatoes. The herbs are right out of my garden (it's really satisfying to just take a pair of scissors and go and clip your own). I've seen RV dwellers with mini herb gardens laid out in pots next to their vehicles. It's amazing how many kinds you can grow in a small set of pots.

The salad was dressed with a sauce of fresh squeezed lime, fish sauce, raw sugar, chili garlic sambal, S&P, chopped garlic, and cilantro (storebought - I have NO success with growing cilantro - anyone got any suggestions?). I was planning on having it wrapped in rice paper with Vietnamese "Bun" rice noodles. I even set them out but my mind went on "automatic" and without thinking I started a pot of rice (Duhhhh... "Time to make the Doughnu.... Uhhhh Rice"). I swear, I think my mind is going sometimes :sneaky:

I love Thai food for its bright flavors, fresh ingredients, textures, and for how healthy so much of it is. The dishes themselves almost glow like gems with all of the bright colors when assembled. I'm jealous of the folks who get to eat it all the time. Maybe I'll retire to Thailand just so I can eat it everyday - I went a couple of times in the mil. All the other guys hit the bars (they have some wild ones there for sure - The P.I too). Me? I hit the FOOD VENDORS! It hasn't changed. I'm glad I like to be physically active because if I weren't I'd probably weigh 500 pounds by now... :giggle:

Hope you all had an equally fine day and have had a good supper to end it. Stay safe and sound out there. Summer is just around the corner!

Cheers!

KIMG0934.JPGKIMG0938.JPG

Kidney Stones? Guess you'll fine out when it hurts to PEE...

:LOL:
Had kidney stones about 15 years ago. It was the motivation for me to quit drinking permanently.
Yes they hurt that much!
Apparently being dehydrated all the time and eating salty junk food is bad for you? Who knew!
They told me I had to quit coffee or alcohol, preferably both.
Kept the coffee, increased my water intake.

made Indian curry over rice with vegetables.
Picked up a few pouches of Tasty Bite at Ollies Discount in Cary NC.
Very affordable, nice with some broccolli, onion and squash.

Hey, JDub!

You’ve been noticeably absent from here the past week or so.

Hope you are well and safe, just researching new recipes and meal plans to share with us.
Just on vacation ( I think I posted that:unsure:? my brain totally seizes at times) I'm back home. THANK you for the concern!

J

Evening all. I've been on hiatus for a couple weeks back home in HNL. Really wanted to post a couple times but just didn't want to be "That Guy" posting pix from exotic locations when so many of you out there are just trying to stay in food and gas... Had a good time and my son and I ate our way across the island like a swarm of Biblical Locust (don't know where he puts it - he's skinny as Paris Hilton)😆

Anyway, got back yesterday (my luggage didn't - they think it's still in SFO) but was too pooped to write (still am!). I'm gonna post a few gratuitous pix (the last two are for Ravella) and call it a night - did several hours of catch up gardening today - as expected everything exploded in volume. I hope all of you have had an equally good couple of weeks and I'll yap at you tomorrow!

Cheers!

Attachments

• KIMG0951.JPG
    KIMG0951.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0961.JPG
    KIMG0961.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0960.JPG
    KIMG0960.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0962.JPG