What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JDub, have you ever tried refrigerating excess yeast dough to bake another day?

Pat it out onto a buttered or oiled surface, flip to coat, cover with waxed paper or something to allow to rise, cook as usual.

I call it “pan bread”. ☺️

JDub, have you ever tried refrigerating excess yeast dough to bake another day?

Pat it out onto a buttered or oiled surface, flip to coat, cover with waxed paper or something to allow to rise, cook as usual.

I call it “pan bread”. ☺️
Sure do Rose. I usually put half the pizza dough in the fridge to proof overnight, but in this case I only had 2 cups of flour instead of the usual three so just wasn't enough. It's nice to have that extra the next day to make breadsticks, rolls, etc. That Italian 00 flour really makes a great dough - easy to work.

Cheers!

So today we're expecting a 100% chance of torrential rains and high winds... We got a little damp drizzle. Basically a waste of a day that I could got a lot done outside. Anyway. I figured that a nice stew would be a good match for a rainy day so I prepped a lamb stew last night and set it to simmer late this morning.

Turned out great! Tender chunks of lambs with red potatoes, onions, green peppers, and celery in a nice broth. Had it with leftover rice (Sam got a lot of that - way too much). I know much of the rest of the country has some serious weather so I hope everyone is weathering it well. Stay safe and make sure you eat right. It's a key to staying healthy out there!

Cheers!

KIMG0792.JPGKIMG0791.JPG

Evening all. A very hot day on tap here (close to 90 believe it or not). Tried to stay on schedule with Spring Cleanup and got most of one of the side yards done. Hedging, pruning, and raking. SOOOO much fun. Can't wait till I don't have to deal with this anymore. Cmon Ravella, let's head to Kauai and start a Van Living Commune there... Anywhooo. Heated up some stew for dinner and chopped a tomato and sweet onion salad to go along. Anyone like that Sweet Onion Sauce that Subway makes for its Chicken Subs?

Super easy to make and tastier than the original. I recommend that you mix the buttermilk baking mix (Call it Bisquick or White Lilly,etc - you can sub corn starch to thicken) with the vinegars to avoid clumping.

Here's to all of you doing what you do out there. Stay safe and healthy!

Cheers.

https://www.food.com/recipe/subway-sweet-onion-sauce-67854.

^ I think the KEN'S Steak House "Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing" from the grocery........is a pretty good substitute
Yeah, I like Ken's too, but the crazy price increases lately on salad dressing (not the name brands) has been in the neighborhood of 60 - 70%. That cheapy WM brand Zesty Italian that I use to marinate B/S Chicken Breast to grill (very tasty - especially in a sandwich) went up in price a dollar just this week 65%)from a week ago. I'm frugal (OK - cheap) and I know how to make all these dressings anyway (Green Goddess anyone). Hardly takes anytime so I've gone back to doing it vs just accepting the price increases. They taste better too.

Cheers

Evening all. Didn't really feel like posting anything yesterday, it was my Wife's Birthday. She would have been 51... Stayed busy in the yard and with planting. Put blackberry and raspberry vines into the ground, planted strawberries in a pot along w spinach flats in a big one. Seeded Moonflowers (love how those things smell in the evenings). Dill, Oregano, and I'm getting mounds ready for cucumbers. Lots of pruning still but getting there.

Today was basically more of the same. Around here you have to Carpe Diem for Spring cleanup and planting or that inferno known as Summer will be on you like a shot. Tonight (can't really remember what I had last night - I'm turning into NL!), just some simple stuff. Took out my nice little Coleman gas grill I carry along w me on the road. Set it up under the range hood and grilled Sam and I some beef wieners with daffodil yellow mustard and homemade hot pepper relish. Some BBQ chips, and a marinated tomato, cuke, and sweet onion salad rounded it out.

Lots of exciting (unsettling?) stuff going on around the world. Starting to really be felt here in the US of A in a variety of ways. If I were a guessing type. It might be a good idea to fill up on propane (now $10.00 for a two pack of 1 pound cylinders at WM - up $3.00 in a week), gas - closing in on $4.00, and some non perishable food. It might turn into a bumpy ride. Make sure you have your seatbelts fastened!

Cheers.

KIMG0795.JPGKIMG0794.JPG

Evening all. What a difference 24 hours makes. We went from unseasonably (unreasonably?) hot, sunny, muggy, and sticky in the 80's yesterday to grey, windy and chilly today. barely cracked the lower 40's. A difference of ~ 40 degrees overnight. Understand it's due to the large storm hitting the N.E. If you're up there. Stay warm and safe!

I've got a get together tomorrow so I pulled out a ham I'd bought when they were on sale during the holidays @ .99 a pound. I love good deals (Yeah. back to the CHEAP thing) so I bought several and stashed them in the garage freezer. I baked it with a glaze made of pineapple juice, shoyu, brown sugar, and ginger. Scored it, studded with cloves, and baked it for an hour and a half at 325. Basted every 15 min.

Came out pretty good! I love baked ham. I make this camping by wrapping ham steak in foil packets with the glaze ingredients and cooking it over the grill. I'm going slice it up, reduce the juices down to half for a nice sauce, and put it on a platter. I also baked 3 loaves of a dense Russian ( can I say that with what's going on? :unsure:) style whole wheat and rye flavored with caraway and dill seed, and dried onion bits. One came out the ugly duckling (it unravelled in baking, I jelly roll my dough)so I HAD to Uhhhhh - test it to make sure there were any Commies hiding out in it... Yeah... Commies...

Had a half a cabbage that needed to be used so I got really motivated and made a batch of my favorite vinegar slaw - a copycat recipe of Primanti Bros' famous sandwich slaw. If you're from the Pittsburgh Pa area you know exactly what I'm talking about. I like it better than more traditional mayo based slaw. It keeps well in the heat too. It's very easy to make on the road (use pre shredded cabbage) great on sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. I'm including the recipe below.

Dinner was a little bit of all the above with some spicy brown mustard. I had a lot of pineapple juice leftover soooooo... In honor of Aloha Friday back home (we really DO dress up in Aloha shirts and Mumus (flowered dresses) on Fridays in Hawaii) and we live for Friday Pau Hana! End of work! I made up a couple of pseudo MaiTais with Juice, light and dark rum, orange liqueur, and a splash of cherry juice.

That pretty much did it! Now I'm ready for an bedtime - Just hit 60 and I'm already turning into senior citizen... :LOL:

Hope all of you stay safe and sound out there. Summer is coming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/primanti-bros-sandwiches/10483/?noredirect=on
Cheers!

KIMG0797.JPGKIMG0800.JPGKIMG0799.JPG

Evening all. Today was a rainy day that just screamed "Stay Inside". Didn't burn off much energy and had a late lunch so I wasn't much into a big dinner. Had some odds and ends in the fridge sooooo... Island Breakfast Time! Rice, fried Teri Spam, over easy egg, and some crunchy stuff (Japanese pickles) - Breakfasts back home tend to be Western in format but Asian in content.... Tasted pretty good for a rainy evening... I hope all of you out there had something nice for dinner that filled you up and made you happy...

Stay safe and warm out there!

Cheers,

KIMG0805.JPG

Evening all. Dinner tonight is one of my regular camping out favorites. Red Flannel Hash. It's a New England staple (my Dad was from Ct) and its been part of my family's diet as long as I can remember. My Ct grandparents, who were born in 1893 and 1895 always had "the Boiled Suppa" on Sundays -potatoes, carrots, onions, beets (which gives it the RED) and a corned brisket or tongue (yes TONGUE) my grandfather's favorite. The first time my very Japanese mother visited Ct from Hi, my grandfather pulled out this huge boiled tongue and made her a giant sandwich with it. She said she almost fainted...:LOL:

Anyway, tonight was another odds and ends dinner after another day of Spring Cleanup. Almost done thank heavens so I can get on the road. I boiled some red taters, carrots, and onions. Chopped a cup of cabbage. Opened a can of (not pickled) beets - keep several cans on hand. I like them in salads and a can of my favorite canned corn beef. Palm brand from New Zealand. WAYYYY better than the stuff in the odd shaped cans from Brazil. It's actually real meat w chunks and shreds. Very popular in Hi.

Did some chopping and frying and dinner was served with 2 over easy eggs on top and a sliced tomato on the side. This is a great meal to make in a cast iron skillet over a fire. just keep turning till half is brown and crispy and the other half is still soft. NOTE: Cabbage is one of those veggies you should never cover while frying. It'll be really mushy from the steaming. Just fry it uncovered till it's al dente and still a little crisp. It's a great contrast in hash. Now all you need is a bit of catsup and a drizzle of hot sauce and you're good to go!

It's been a hell of month so far folks. Hopefully things start to settle down out there but it isn't looking so hot so far. Meanwhile, stay safe. warm, and well fed!

Cheers.

KIMG0810.JPGKIMG0812.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG0813.JPG
    KIMG0813.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 2
Too much serious stuff going on today (miserable rainy day anyway with more tornadoes expected here Thursday). Sooooo.... Lets talk about everyone's favorite subject (pretty much) - FOOD!

I'm having S. Indian vegetarian coconut eggplant curry and quinoa w lime pickle and a bit of leftover Sri Lankan Tinned Fish curry from Sun (leftovers are better later!). I pretty much cook what can be done on the road or in camp so little of what I eat is haute cuisine. Mostly stick to your ribs pioneer food or or quick stir frys and braises that are easy to do in a single pot.

What are you having tonight?

Cheers!

Home made Pad Thai :)

Evening all. Another day, same tune, different date. Still doing yardwork! Tonight, thought I'd go for something that was near and dear to my heart when I was stationed in Korea. Budae Jjigae - or, "Army Camp Stew" in Korean (Hangul). It's basically Korean style ramen (Ramen is the Japanese version of Chinese soup noodles).

It's origins are from the Korean War era when the Koreans (who were desperately poor- right up to the 80's) would scrounge foodstuffs from American military bases (by hook or by crook) such as: hotdogs, Spam, corn, cheese (Velveeta) - anything they could get their hands on.

They then combined it all with ramen noodles and Korean food such as kimchee, dried fish, etc and a Korean comfort food staple was born. This stuff seriously is the Korean equivalent of chicken soup now. I've slurped many a bowl (usually the morning after "too much fun' in downtown Uijeongbu - the town outside of Camp Red Cloud) in the Korean snackbar we had on base. It's great for hungover Saturday mornings!

The only thing missing in my version is the neon orange cheese that ajiima (Auntie) would put in there and the hotdog. Figured my cholesterol level would be good enough with 2 slices of Teri Spam! Aside from that, there's 2 handfuls of greens (spinach and Swiss chard from my deck garden), green onion, a poached egg, cabbage, and carrot. It's all there! The Korean ramen was a gift from two very old friends who visited over labor Day last year (she's Korean).

The salt level of these packs of noodles is astronomical so I avoid most of the broth in the interests of not blowing my arteries. Very tasty on occasion though! Anyone else eat "customized" ramen? I often have some on the road as a quick meal - The new Curry Cup cup o noodles is pretty good too.

KIMG0814.JPG
That's it for tonight. Stay safe, warm and full!

Cheers.

Evening all. Yesterday was a wash... A HOT wash. It actually got to 95 degrees according to my weather station on the back deck (which is shielded from the wind. It was plain warm working out there. What's the weather like out where you are? Things are looking better for the weekend though. Some rain and cooler weather on tap. Dinner was well worth eating (leftovers) but nothing to post about.

Today was more of the same - absolutely lovely weather. Warm and clear. Perfect night to grill out. Yesterday, I went to our Not the Walmart grocery store for eggs (almost $4.00 for 18 and gas went up .30 overnight pushing $4.00 a gallon now) and they had some nice first cut pork chops on sale for $10.00 for a 5 pound pack.

I was going to have them for supper last night but was too uninterested in cooking by the end of the day. I went with my tried and true grill staple of marinating them in my SECRET RECIPE (WM GV Zesty Italian - which ALSO went up a buck a bottle) marinade ( try it on the road - super ez) along with some par boiled red taters left over from making hash the other night.

They grilled up nicely and along with a tomato, cabbage, and onion salad and a piece of red velvet cake leftover from our get together Sat, made a very nice meal eaten off a paper plate (or the grass if you were Sam) with a couple of cold ones out on the deck. I hope all of you out there also had something good, are safe, and are weathering this current inflation outbreak without breaking your wallet...

Cheers to all you...

KIMG0820.JPGKIMG0821.JPGKIMG0822.JPG

Leftover's from last night for dinner with a couple of corn on the cob niblets I found in the freezer. That is all...

Cheers.

Made creole red bean and rice. Because I'm a Cajun-Creole.
Thanks to a 20lb propane tank and a $20 adapter which lets it replace those 1lb tanks.
So I can cook it for the proper 4 hours and not have to fast cook it.
First photo is right after I merged the half cooked beans and mirepoix.
Second photo is after cooking all afternoon, just before I started the rice.
What I forgot was that I only have 1 pot and 1 pan. So I had to build a fire just to cook a sausage
and a few veggies for a side.
You gotta have sausage with your red beans and rice, also french bread and butter!
Sorry no photos of the assembled meal on the plate. Light was attracting bugs so I dashed for the camper van.
Actually had to dump a huge lump of rice because a mosquito hawk divebombed into it. Ick.

IMG_9554.jpegIMG_9557.jpeg

I think I am going to have these tonight because I got a 1 lb. bag of chickpeas from the local Food Pantry -

"Vegan mushroom falafel sliders"
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes

Ingredients
baked falafel ( she says bake, but you can fry them on low temp until brown)
1 tbsp ground flax ( acts like egg) + 3 tbsp water
  • 1 C sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 C sliced onion
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 x 398 ml can chickpeas (approximately 1 3/4 C)
  • 1/4 C low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 C curly parsley leaves
  • 1/2 C almond meal
  • 1/3 C chickpea flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
hemp tabbouleh
2 C curly parsley
  • 1/4 C finely chopped red onion
  • 1/4 C diced tomato
  • 3 tbsp hemp hearts
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
maple tahini sauce
1/4 C tahini
  • 1/4 C water
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F ( again, you can fry them)...

Combine ground flax with water and refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.
  1. In a pan heated to medium, sauté mushroom and onion in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Add the mushroom and onion mixture to a food processor along with rinsed and drained chickpeas, the thickened flax and water mixture, and remaining falafel ingredients. Process until everything is well combined and the mixture comes together as a thick batter.
  3. Take approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture and form balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the falafels half way through.
  4. While the falafels are baking, prepare hemp tabbouleh and maple tahini sauce.
  5. For the tabbouleh, finely chop parsley leaves and add to a bowl along with remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
  6. For the maple tahini sauce, place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and combine until smooth.
  7. Warm up the mini pitas in the oven during the last couple minutes of baking the falafels.
  8. To assemble the falafel sliders, cut mini pitas in half and spread maple tahini sauce on the inside of the bottom half. Place hemp tabbouleh on top, add a falafel, and dollop with more maple tahini sauce. Serve immediately.

Both of those look really good you two! I live only 3 hours from NOLA so I run down there once in a while to eat and shop. Cal do you use pickled pork in your RBR? I do. It's a NOLA thing and it's really tasty in the dish.

Kristina, wow! LOTTA work there girl but it looks fantastic! I add mint and coriander along w flat parsley to my falafel - turns it bright green!

Cheers!