what van is best

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samisyed720

Reaction score
My budget for a van is currently 8k and I was wondering what van I should buy, based on the following factors: 

• Fits my budget
  • Good on maintenance and won't break down easile
  • Good for off roading 

What IS your budget? That makes a difference.

GMC or Chevy Express

not Sprinter
nothing diesel

In a few years maybe the gas ones, but unlikely they will ever come down to a low enough running cost per mile after the age their up-front price is affordable.

For wealthy folk buying almost-new then selling at say 100K is likely reasonable, say 70-80¢ a mile, but that does not apply here.

Of course a trained Sprinter / diesel mechanic as owner could maintain one at reasonable cost.

And overseas things are different.

For off road - GMC or Chev Express 4 wheel (all wheel) drive IF you can find one. If you can get by in a smaller van look at a Chevy Astro All wheel drive.

I chose the 2000+ gm product because replacement motors are $1700, I was quoted $1000 just to remove a similar ford motor.

For 8k you should be able to get a decent Chevy/GM van. The 8 cylinder engines are excellent. These vans will go a lot of miles, are relatively inexpensive to repair, parts are easy to find and you can always find someone to work on one. I will be getting a Chevy/GM van when it is time to replace my Buick wagon. I also like the styling a lot better compared to the newer Dodge and Ford vans. I've been looking at vans for many months now and it seems difficult to find a Chevy with AWD. I have seen them but not often. I like to go to carsforsale.com and not limit my search area to see what's out there and for how much.

I had a Chevy Astro AWD a few years ago. While the 4.3l engine is practically indestructible, it does lack power, especially for towing. I also had trouble going up big hills, not towing, with 3 passengers and luggage. And that was after replacing a huge number of parts to try and get it running as good as possible. It was a great van though. But I only got 17 mpg on the highway (I may have hit 18 on flat Florida roads) which is the same as the full size vans. I have seen reports of people getting 20+ mpg in an Astro but don't see how that is possible. The sticker said 17 back when stickers were more generous in the ratings. I don't remember if the Astro had mpg in the overhead information center but my mpg's were calculated by logging miles and gallons and doing the math.

If I had the funds I would get an older Chevy G20 with 5.7l engine and have someone go through it completely and rehab it, not a restoration though. I love the styling of those vans.