What to do with my factory rear heat/AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzarro

Reaction score
So I own a 92 Vandura Starcraft conversion. There's separate rear heat and A/C options that extend from the radiator and coolant lines. It all ties together really nicely in the back with some overhead vents and interior gear. I don't want to have to run the van to have rear A/C nor do I want to rip all this stuff out. Is there any way I can at very least run the A/C without running the van. An electric compressor or something? What are some of my cooling options? :huh:

short answer, no. of course anything is possible, what do you plan to power the electric compressor with? highdesertranger

Loose plans is ~300w solar. Would like to have some kind of low amp charger to keep things topped up when I'm within an extension cord's reach of available power.

You could get an extra automotive compressor, an AC motor, a condenser and a fan, and make a condensing unit for this setup, then you would need to disconnect the existing from the engine driven unit and connect it to this unit, evac, recharge, and you'd be in business. Mount it in a box on the roof. Use an RV thermostat to run it. Would cost about as much as buying an RV roof unit complete.

You could get a ducted RV roof unit and connect it to the fancy ductwork. That may work better.

ok but look at the list Zonie posted. he didn't even mention the custom hoses you will need to have made up. plus you would need a huge electric motor to run a auto AC compressor, think in the 5 horse power range. there is no way 300 watts of solar will run that. it can be done but it's going to be a lot of modification and a lot of money. btw on your unit the heat should still work the only thing in common with the AC is the blower fan. highdesertranger

Stick a small 5000 btu unit in one of your rear windows and pick up a $79 HF genny.You should be able to get a small unit on Craigslist for $30 or so.You could also be charging your house battery while running the AC.

Latest posts