What the corrosion on your battery terminals is telling you

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disconnect, check the level is right, plugs well sealed, scrub with some hot water mixed with some baking soda, not too much, make sure none gets inside, rinse, inspect make sure no hairline stress cracks, spray a little anti-corrosive, reattach and tighten.

The battery posts have one end inside the battery and protrude through the top.  There is a seal that keeps acid in and contaminants out.  When that seal fails acid fumes get to the copper cable clamp.  

Remove the cable clamp and clean the top of the battery right around the post.  Be careful not to get anything like baking soda into the battery.  Mix up some epoxy glue and use a toothpick to fix the seal.  Run a bead of glue around the crack where the post comes through the battery top.  Don't get glue on the contact area of the post.  This actually stops the greening of the copper cable clamps.

I was tipped to this process by a guy at a Gould Battery plant.  

What to do.  Boil water and add some Baking soda to it. 

Disconnect the terminals and pour the hot soda water over the crud.

It will dissolve  and can be cleaned off.  You must get it all cleaned well.

Next take a small tube of Silicone RTV calking and go around the base of
the lead post where they come out of the plastic top.  Wet your finger
and smear the calking down to get a good seal and then let it harden for
an hour or two. 

In the meanwhile,  use some anti-corrosion paste on the lead terminals
and cable clamps before reconnecting them.

7730003_ptx_09976_pri_larg.jpg

ver_00911.jpg

Different companies make this stuff.

If you will do this you won't have problems with corrosion.

As for these things....Red & Green Felt corrosion prevent devices.

259348b

Save your money.   You could buy the anti-corrosion Jelly for what these cost and be better off.

Why ?

The plastic top of the battery will eventually shrink back from the lead terminal post.  Then the vapors will spew up through the gap and under the cable clamps and start the corrosion process. 

The RTV will bond with the plastic top and lead post and expand and contract with temperature change like a rubber gasket,  thus keeping those vapors in the battery so your terminals won't corrode.

This is one of the greatest TIPS I've ever gotten for working on my own cars.  I've never had any warranty issues with this either.  No one has ever asked.  But if they did,  I'd just tell them it's corrosion preventative.

eDJ_ said:
I was tipped to this process by a guy at a Gould Battery plant. ...etc.
And, as the article says, don't let your battery get chronically under- or over-charged. Otherwise you're just treating the symptoms, not the causes.