What rig would you choose in my shoes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamBandFan

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best rig set up to target.  Here's my situation.  Renting an apartment in Seattle.  Taking some time off to figure out my next chapter in life.  47 years old single.  In pretty good financial shape, can support myself on road for years via savings and investment income without working.  Although I'm not rich, need to make my money last, and need and like to live frugally.

So thinking of buying a RV set up and living in it full time for a few years.  I would probably stay in the west and migrate north south with weather like most folks.  I know people will want to how I plan to travel, but I'm the type that doesn't really know until I start doing it.  I might stay in campgrounds some, boondock some, state parks some, etc...  I'm not really sure how much I would need to get in the back country.  I've done a lot of hiking the past 25 years all over the west and I have always had a high mileage economy car that worked find getting me where I wanted to go hiking and camping (although there have been some bumpy roads I could have used more clearance).

I'm thinking about a small trailer like a Casita/Scamp/Rpod type of thing.  I would have to buy a truck or van to pull it I currently have a sedan type car I would sell.  The other idea is a B or C + pulling a toad.   If I got a B/C I imagine I might be able to tow my current vehicle (Nissan Altima).  I thought about customizing a cargo + hi top van like Bob Wells, and I think that is overall the most economical way to go, but I think it would just not be enough space for me to full time.  

The tough part of choosing a rig set up is trying to get it right the first time.  It could be very costly to have to sell your rig and try to buy something else if you don't get it right the first time.   I want to try to limit my losses on depreciation as much as possible (with the truck AND the trailer...or class B/C) if in a year or two I sell the RV and go back to a house or apartment.

Any suggestions what you would do if you were me??  Knowing what you know now having owned RV's?

the amount of space you may need is different than any of us. Theres some people in cars. I could never do that..willingly of course. With those small trailers, you wouldnt need to get the beefiest truck out there. Your car may or may not be able to be towed 4 down. May need a dolly or may need a full trailer. Take that into consideration.

You didnt mention a budget. usually Bs are more expensive than Cs.

Truck and trailer is nice since you can just sell the trailer if you dont like it. Truck will still be able to drive to work etc.

So from what you said, Bs are out due to space. Those small trailers probably wouldnt cut it either. So for options you listed, C might be good. Unless you wanted a larger trailer, you might be more suited for that.

Youll have to check out small trailers and Cs to see how much more space youll need

Yes I have to go to a RV dealer to get inside some trailers, B's and C's and see how they feel. There are no RV shows in my local area until the fall.  I might be able to do something like a Roadtreck 170, just don't know if too small for full time.  Budget I have the money for a B (but do I want to spend it on a RV??!!!)....for me it really depends on depreciation not as much the entry price.  If I bought a Roadtreck for say $40k and could sell it for say $30k-$35k in a few years, it wouldn't be so horrible to take a $10k depreciation hit, especially if I got a lot of use out of it over those 2 years.  But If I could only sell it for $20k in a few years I WOULD mind that:)  Roadtreck class B types would be the least hassle for me by far (just pull up to a campground and park, no backing in, no towing stuff over mnt passes, only one vehicle to worry about, etc...).  But a quick glance Roadtreks are crazy expensive!   Also, seems Roadtrecks are cluttered full of stuff I wouldn't use (3rd seat, might prefer composting toilet, probably wouldn't use shower much, etc...)

I'm not good with fixing engines, nor do I really want to learn or spend my time on that, so I would want something reliable that won't break down on the side of the road or something I would have to constantly fiddle with. Lower priced Roadtreks seem to have a ton of mileage on them already which would worry me as I do not want to become a mechanics best friend.

It would be cheaper than a Roadtreck to do what Bob Wells did and get a 2015 GMC Savannah, put a hi-top in, hire a carpenter and electrician to build a bed, some cabinets, wiring, swivel the front passenger front seat.   But I'm wondering if I customized a cargo van like this how much it would hit the resale value if I sold it in a few years with a customized high top?  Seems like there is a smaller niche market for a customized  hi-top van, also buyers may be scared off by a after market hi top customization.  A hi-top van I MIGHT be able to live in for 1-2 yrs.  I do not think I could live in a NON hi-top cargo van.  There are some REAL advantages to a simple one vehicle set up like this.

Choosing a rig is very difficult especially for a first time RV-er.

I spend some time reading RVSue's blog and Interstellar Orchard (they are two ladies solo RV-ers full timing in Casita's for 5+ years), they seem to be very happy with their set ups and have not changed them in the 5+ years they have been full timing.

Timing I imagine is a BIG FACTOR in terms of how bad of a hit you take on depreciation with the sale of RV's and tow vehicles. Just like buying and selling real estate, timing is huge. If I wanted to sell my rig in 2 years and gas prices were high and the U.S. was in a bad recession, I would probably take a huge bath unloading a gas guzzling tow vehicle and/or RV. I can imagine from 2008-2012 there were probably some screaming deals from motivated sellers on RV's & trucks/SUV's during the depths of that recession! But this is a risk that must be taken.

yep anything that was considered a toy during that time period could be picked up for pennies on the dollar. RV's, boats, ATV's, even horses. people just wanted them gone. highdesertranger

Why are you so concerned with depreciation and resale value? You say you will buy used so it should have already depriciated the most the first few years. And don't obsess on resale when you're talking about going full time for unknown years. Just get a rig that fits your needs and busget and enjoy the freedom.

If you buy a Casita, or similar trailer I believe you could sell it quite easily when you get ready.  Just try buying a used one and you'll see what I mean.  I drive a Chevy pickup and it gets decent gas mileage and there again pickups are usually easy to resell without taking a huge loss; assuming we're talking about used.  Parts are usually available and there are mechanics willing to work on them.  Almost forgot I have a camper shell on my pickup that I paid $100 for about 8 years ago and and I've had it on 3 trucks to date; that's where I store things that won't go in my 22' TT that I live in fulltime. (alone)

I think that is good advice and what I will try to do, get a decent deal on a used truck and trailer or Class C if I go that way.  How do you like your trailer set up?  What type of RV-ing to you do....follow the weather snowbird and RV parks?  Boondock?

I drove a few RV dealerships today just to get a feel of the interior of all kinds of different RV's...small trailers, rpods, 5th wheels, trailers, pop ups, C's, B's. I will buy used from private owner likely but dealer was a good place to get into a lot of stuff. The T@B's and Aliners felt really small for full time. The 5th wheels with slides felt huge! Used Class C might be something for me to look closer at pulling a toad. The trailers and 5th wheels all felt so cheaply built to me.

With the small fiberglass, look at Bigfoot. Hard to find used, but they are solid and don't feel or look cheap. Best bet on Class C is the Born Free and the Lazy Daze, although harder to find used, they do tend to hold their value. Born Free, themselves, sell used units they get in trade on their website now and then. Another good name is Chinook, called a B more of a B+. There are other worthy units out there.

Thanks I will look  out for Bigfoot.  I think in reading some older posts Snow Gypsy I have heard you mention Hi Lo ?  This seems like a more roomy hard sided pop up.

i personally am not gonna worry about resale, get what you can afford and when resale comes you know your probably gonna take a bath.

Yes, we currently have a 2010 2310 Hi Lo. Very easy tow. The company went out of business in 2010, but everything in here is high end and the workmanship is quite impressive. Sadly, costs for better has driven many of the better RV manufacturers out of business. We gave around $10,000 for this and you can get a piece of junk entry model TT for around that and people unfamiliar with RVS fall easily for that "NEW"! This will still be on the road when they are gone. It does have a hydraulic lift system which needs maintained which makes it a little different but can be dealt with. The owner's forum is a great resource and without it, I would never have considered one: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/ We just went through a KS winter in it and have been in strong wind gusts without issue. This is our 9th RV. The first Hi Lo we ever seen was one from the 1970s and it was 20 years old. You do have some storage limits, but all in all, it is a solid unit.

You are talking about a Casita or similar sized trailer which are costly, and then having to buy a truck to tow it, which is also costly. Yet you say you are single, and have been physically active for many years. So here are some thoughts I have;

A used class-B would cost less then the truck and trailer purchase.

The Casita is no larger than a good sized Class-B van (honestly neither are great to live in in an RV park setting... too small)

A truck and trailer setup comes with a lot of added monthly costs (registering and insuring two vehicles, maintenance, etc)

A single vehicle that covers both your home and your travel-vehicle could match your lifestyle more. It would allow you to get out of the city (and campgrounds/RV parks), take your home with you, and not have to worry about the towing of your trailer.

It really depends on how much mobility you want. If you are planning to hang around in RV parks or campgrounds more than anything else, a larger trailer (20+ foot) and a truck might be best. But if you are thinking you want to move often, or go up that mountain for hiking regularly, having a single vehicle/van so you can bring your home with you, might be best.

Towing another vehicle with a Class-B is not going to be recommended. It can be done, but they are already too under-powered to do well on any incline. You may just find it too hard on the van. Although a van does not get great MPG, you are talking a few extra dollars a month over a car, and no difference to having a truck-trailer setup.

I'd be happy to help if you want more detailed info

Snow Gypsy said:
Yes, we currently have a 2010 2310 Hi Lo.  Very easy tow.  The company went out of business in 2010, but everything in here is high end and the workmanship is quite impressive.  Sadly, costs for better has driven many of the better RV manufacturers out of business.  We gave around $10,000 for this and you can get a piece of junk entry model TT for around that and people unfamiliar with RVS fall easily for that "NEW"!  This will still be on the road when they are gone.  It does have a hydraulic lift system which needs maintained which makes it a little different but can be dealt with.  The owner's forum is a great resource and without it, I would never have considered one:  http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/  We just went through a KS winter in it and have been in strong wind gusts without issue.  This is our 9th RV.  The first Hi Lo we ever seen was one from the 1970s and it was 20 years old.  You do have some storage limits, but all in all, it is a solid unit.

Thanks for the info on the Hi Lo.  I'll check out that forum.  What I was impressed with is it just has more interior space than the other hard sided A frame pop ups.

Van-Tramp said:
You are talking about a Casita or similar sized trailer which are costly, and then having to buy a truck to tow it, which is also costly. Yet you say you are single, and have been physically active for many years. So here are some thoughts I have;

A used class-B would cost less then the truck and trailer purchase.

The Casita is no larger than a good sized Class-B van (honestly neither are great to live in in an RV park setting... too small)

A truck and trailer setup comes with a lot of added monthly costs (registering and insuring two vehicles, maintenance, etc)

A single vehicle that covers both your home and your travel-vehicle could match your lifestyle more. It would allow you to get out of the city (and campgrounds/RV parks), take your home with you, and not have to worry about the towing of your trailer.

It really depends on how much mobility you want. If you are planning to hang around in RV parks or campgrounds more than anything else, a larger trailer (20+ foot) and a truck might be best. But if you are thinking you want to move often, or go up that mountain for hiking regularly, having a single vehicle/van so you can bring your home with you, might be best.

Towing another vehicle with a Class-B is not going to be recommended. It can be done, but they are already too under-powered to do well on any incline. You may just find it too hard on the van. Although a van does not get great MPG, you are talking a few extra dollars a month over a car, and no difference to having a truck-trailer setup.

I'd be happy to help if you want more detailed info

Thanks Van-Tramp great info.  The thing is I do not really know how mobile I am going to be until I get out there and try it for a few months.  I may be less mobile in Mid Nov-Mid March, then more mobile a lot of the rest of the year.  I will do some hiking, but it might not be every day.   Unlike some other first time RV-ers, I have already been to a lot of the state & nat parks around the country, and done a lot of road trips the last 25 yrs, especially in the west.  So I probably won't go on the "non-stop whirlwind tour" that many first time RV-ers go on the first few years of owning an RV.  But then again I may re-visit a lot of spots and be pretty mobile until I figure out a seasonal routine.  I am the type that just does things spontaneously on what I feel and decide as I go.

And it's just going to be difficult to know the right size rig for me until I try it for a while.  I do like to spend some time inside reading, working on my laptop.  I like to be outside, but not one of those types that is outside every hour they are not sleeping.

So it's definitely not easy figuring out the right set up!  I think it does help to try and do the research to make a decent decision the first time.  It can cost a tremendous amount of time, energy, effort finding, inspecting & buying a rig, then finding its not right and having to turn around and sell it and do it all over again.  Might not sell quickly, etc...  This is why I like to talk to a lot of Solo RV-ers who have been doing it for a while to gain their wisdom and lessons learned.

Something else I have wanted since I first them was the Trailmanor, but haven't had one "yet". I am RV obsessed and have been since I first saw the early Winnebago, ad said "Winnebago let's the good times roll." Who wouldn't want that?

Trailmanor owner's forum, they do charge like $10 to join, but you can read all you want without being a member and joining the Hi-Lo forum is free:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/index.php

Everything will be a trade-off when RV shopping, decide what is most essential and work from there.

Going to be interesting to see if I could do full time RV-ing cheaper than renting my apartment in the Seattle area. I pay about $1,250/mo for a very basic 1 bedroom outside of Seattle (that will probably go up again this year as rents here have skyrocketed last 4 yrs and continue to rise!). My gas costs, RV repair costs, RV upgrade costs, RV insurance costs, mail forwarding will all go up full time RV-ing. I won't have rent, but then I will have have campground fees. I know I can boondock to save on CG fees, but I will have to see how much I can do of that and like it. I may want to sometimes try to be around some social life and connected to some town or communities as I pass through them and then boondock some. This is all stuff I have to figure out on the fly what I will like and not like. If I like CG's closer to towns more, my full time RV-ing monthly overhead may not be that far off my monthly overhead renting here in Seattle area. Also, there are the initial up front cash costs of buying the rig set up + upgrades + initial repair work to get it ready for the road that I don't have renting.

I love the simplicity and economy of the hi-top van. But storage is a major drawback. Nice think about towing a small trailer with a pick-up with a cap, SUV, or cargo van is you have the storage of the tow vehicle.