What Navigation Tools Do You Use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boutdone

Reaction score
In the past I have used Garmin 550 and Nav V, none of which are without problems. I have a iPhone 7 but the screen is too small for me while driving no matter what app I use. strongly considering a Samsung galaxy tab 4 exclusively for navigation purposes and mounted on the dash. the question is, which map app? I have been told to try google maps but thought posting here would be invaluable considering I went tp do boon docking 90-95% of the time. any help and direction would be most appreciated.

I use google maps to get me to an area on established roads. After that it is exploring :) Taking a google earth view of the area you are wanting to go to helps before you go. It doesn't show what shape the dirt roads are in though.

I checked out the "pocket earth" and while the reviews sound like what I want, it is only available for iPhone & Mac, so Samsung galaxy would not be compatible, correct?

What nav tools? 
A Garmin GPS, it always works if it can see the sky, it doesn't need the internet. A Rand-McNally road atlas because sometimes I need a map and it never hurts to double check on the GPS. When I can I'll stop at a new state visitor's center and pick up a map for that state, these are always better than the road atlas (they are bigger).
My last tool is Google maps on my phone, sometimes it's good to have a different opinion on how to get there. The road warnings are better than the Garmin because of other travelers input but it needs the internet to work well. Yes you can download a map to cover you when your off the internet but if you forget you're sunk.

Paper map
Garmin GPS (old one)
Android phone apps:

OsmAnd
Custom Maps
Google Earth
Offline Maps & Navigation
Waze

- My general sense of where things are
- My adequate sense of direction
- Stopping to ask directions
- Writing some things down
- Benchmark Atlases for all the Western states
- Google Maps and Google Earth on my laptop before hitting the road
- Google Maps on a smart phone (with its voice giving me turn-by-turn directions when necessary)
- Ancient GPS with maps that aren't up to date

Older Garmin GPS, map book from 2014, hotel and fuel accommodations for Ontario 2015, a $2 compass from Princess Auto and a mini-flag to show where the wind is going (we only go where the wind is headed, it saves us a LOT on fuel lol).