What is under this mystery floor hatch, and how to remove it to see?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
I bought a little 19.5' class C and it's nice.  It came with this mat on the floor that's attached with the strangest rivets/screws/bolts (I don't know).  I was seeking a hiding spot and thought there might be a nook and cranny underneath so I went to Harbor Freight and bought their most extensive possible set of driver bit attachments (like all the weird security bits, etc.) and nothing I can find will fit this.
Does anyone know why this hatch is there?  Was it to hide wear and tear on the vinyl?  Does it cover a compartment?  Why does it have such strange attachments?  How can I remove these?  If I drill them out will that be a disaster?  What I would replace them with?  Thank-you.
3_6X42.png

mDQrd.png

Weight said:
Open it up and look. It could be Jimmy.

Oh so that was what that funky smell is?   Here I thought it was standard "used RV" lingerings.

The fastener heads are Torx "security" heads. The "security" part is the little tit in the center. Harbor Freight usually has that style Torx bits.

I wanna know what’s under there also

as mentioned, looks like security torx bit and first clean the dirt out of it.

as for what is under there, hard to say as the picture does not really indicate where it is in relation to the rig. depending on where it is, could be access to fuel tank sender/pump, or some aspect of the drive train but thos are just WAG's with out seeing where they are

Some early Class C motor homes and travel trailers had a galvanized bath/shower tub about 8" deep in the center of the floor with a cover on it when not being used.. 
but that does not explain the torx fasteners that make it look like the cover is supposed to be permanent, not removable for using a bath/shower tub.

Can you see anything from underneath the RV ?

OK 1st tried the proper bit with a hand held ratchet but maaan it was torqued in so tight it would not budge...then 2nd I used my Ryobi driver and got the first out with a struggle and it was obvious that these were not intended to be removed. The hardware is a machine bolt about 3/8" x 2.5" long with a blunt end, not a screw... then I did 2nd, then third, then the fourth stripped the head. "zzzz zzzzz" made a silvery smooth sided bolt top (at the indent). Now what? Then I tried to pivot the cover but it's got a custom lip about 1" so unless I was to bend the 4th corner it wouldn't pivot, and I couldn't peek underneath, and didn't want to snap the corner as it's rigid plastic. So I realized these were factory bolts not intended for removal and it's not possible to drill them out and I best return them, so that's what I did. I didn't smell any Jimmy while there. I did find a nook and cranny hiding spot next to the water tank so that'll have to suffice.

Is drilling then using an easy-out an option, perhaps with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench helping?

Look under the RV in that exact spot and see what it looks like from the bottom.

there is one in every crowd. first you need to remove the head. you can drill the head off, grind it, chisel it, or what ever. once the head is off you should be able to lift the cover off then put vice-grips on what's left of the bolt. once the lids off you can also put penetrating oil on the bolt. have you looked underneath to see what's there? that would have been the first thing I did. highdesertranger

squid said:
OK 1st tried the proper bit with a hand held ratchet but maaan it was torqued in so tight it would not budge...then 2nd I used my Ryobi driver and got the first out with a struggle and it was obvious that these were not intended to be removed.  The hardware is a machine bolt about 3/8" x 2.5" long with a blunt end, not a screw... then I did 2nd, then third, then the fourth stripped the head.  "zzzz zzzzz" made a silvery smooth sided bolt top (at the indent).   Now what?  Then I tried to pivot the cover but it's got a custom lip about 1" so unless I was to bend the 4th corner it wouldn't pivot, and I couldn't peek underneath, and didn't want to snap the corner as it's rigid plastic.  So I realized these were factory bolts not intended for removal and it's not possible to drill them out and I best return them, so that's what I did.  I didn't smell any Jimmy while there.  I did find a nook and cranny hiding spot next to the water tank so that'll have to suffice.

What in blazes are you hauling that you need to go to such trouble to find a hiding spot?  I understand the curiosity, if I bought a used vehicle that had a mysterious hatch I'd want to open it too.  My luck, it would be the blackwater tank underneath.

If you are wanting to hide pot, it stinks so maybe a compost bin with a charcoal filter and just throw some dirty toilet paper on top.   :p