What is the recent (2019) word on refridgerators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajendora1

Reaction score
I'm not able to find a post in search re recent experiences with refridgerators.  Just looking for information by people not getting paid to advertise, but actual users of brands, and experiences with.   :D  Thank you for your time.

I have no fridge at all. Walmart is nice enough to keep all my food cold for me until I need it. :)

All I have is a little cooler for keeping leftovers.

I have 3 Engels. the oldest is 10 years old. they all work great and sip power. highdesertranger

I saw the woman with the big Whynter refrigerator/freezer in Bob's last video and thought I'd get one like it. I suspect she has the 90 quart model - it is huge. I put the 62 quart model into my Amazon shopping cart. Haven't bought it yet.

Here's Bob's video:

I just watched the video. I'm pretty sure that's the Whynter 62DZ. I have one. It looks larger in the video because it's up off the floor but it's really pretty big. The 62 qt fridge is the same size but with one compartment..

Once I plopped it in the van I was second guessing myself due to the size but I'll probably be happy I chose it once I'm on the road..

Hmmm - thanks for telling me the 62 quart is that big! That's still only about 2 cubic feet inside, right? I wonder if I need something that big.

If I remember right, yes, it's a bit over 2 cubic ft. inside. It's more than enough room for the food I keep refrigerated but if you plan on storing much milk, orange juice or similar it fills up pretty quickly..

Seriously - I want it mainly for frozen vegetables and cold bottled water. I'll go ahead and get the 62 quart version because I want the double doors. I have enough room as my van is currently empty (just got it). I'll just have to build around it. I'm going to need that this summer. Cold bottled water is a necessity.

I had an Alpicool and I wasn't particularly impressed with it so I gave lt to a fellow camper in need. I ordered an Engle 40 quart from Engle direct that was on sale. I full-time so I try and buy the best trouble free products. HDR and others have convinced me to spend more on a quality product. The old saying is 'you get what you pay for and it's a true statement!

Neal tell us what you think of the Engel. I have 3 of the 40 Engel's and love them. highdesertranger

I have an Engel sr70. Uses like 2.6 amps me thinks. Love it. Runs 24/7 off solar and even in hot summers can freeze items

I bought an Alpicool as my first refrigerator and wasn't impressed and ended up giving it away to a lady who really needed one. Engle was having a sale on the 40 quart so I bought it direct from them. The refrigerator is great. I plugged it in and in 30 minutes it could've frozen food. The quality is superior and its very quiet. It will outlive me! HDR has three of them that's a good enough recommendation for me!

hdr: out of curiosity, why 3? that's a shit-ton of food! don't be wasteful and donate one to me! just kidding.

one is a dedicated freezer, one is food, and the most important one is drinks, wink, wink. when we start out the drink refer might have some food in it. LOL highdesertranger

^^^I like the way you think. My fridge doesn't have a big enough freezer for food and ice cream. I think I will have to get one of the smaller chest style 12V models just for more ice cream and as the ice cream and food disappear out of the main freezer, I can restock it and shut off the little one. My 4.3 CF fridge has enough room for beverages.

Generator or shore power. These plus solar is the only power sources I know unless you are driving a long way (6-8 hours is a guess) each day.

yes you need some way to charge your batteries. just as long as I am driving all day(6-8 hours) I am fine. if I stop for more than a day I have to put the panels out. it's going to be so nice not to have to put the panels out. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
. . . it's going to be so nice not to have to put the panels out. highdesertranger

What's changing that you won't have to put out panels?

Latest posts