What is the recent (2019) word on refridgerators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
how big of a fridge do you want?  can you save up a couple of more bucks?  highdesertranger

I just got more money for getting my mom set up with MediCal & getting house ready to sell. Fridge is one of my most important items so I can get what I need. Just have to work it into my design. Starting from scratch. $600 maybe a little more now (1st forum hope I don't step on anyone's toes  :D)

highdesertranger said:
many people swear by the 120v el cheapo refrigerators.  I swear at them I tried one and it was a big waste of money for me.  highdesertranger

One of these days they will learn about 12v swing compressors and the worlds electric consumption will drop in half. For the life of me I cant figure out why no one is already building fridges and air conditioners with them yet.

best catch up on the times.

Engel's have "Swing Compressors." that's what I have. they have been making them for years. they sip power.

highdesertranger

I know. Im just wondering why GE or carrier arent making AC's and fridges with them. Would be a world revolution.

must be a conspiracy. I don't want any appliance that GE makes. bunch of junk. highdesertranger

MyShadowandMe said:
Plan on about 400W solar. Do I need a generator?

Not necessarily, I was just asking what your power source for the refer would be because you didn't say.

I don't have a refer myself yet, but I believe people do run them with 400 solar just fine.

You can get a 20 qt alpicool for under $250. They get good reviews, but they're pretty basic. I'm holding out until I have the money for at least a 30 qt fridge with a heavier duty build.

In the meantime, I use an RTIC cooler, it really does hold ice for at least 3 days. Works for me for now.

Elbear1 said:
One of these days they will learn about 12v swing compressors and the worlds electric consumption will drop in half. For the life of me I cant figure out why no one is already building fridges and air conditioners with them yet.

Even though I have been checking van dwelling for some time now that I am doing it all these new questions come up. Never been on any forum so I am trying to figure it out. If my answer looks weird....Anyway, what is a swing generator?

highdesertranger said:
I have 3 Engels.  the oldest is 10 years old.  they all work great and sip power.   highdesertranger

It has one compartment for freezer and fridge. How does that work? Thanks!

swing compressor = a type of refrigerant compressor. different then your conventional compressors for refrigerators. much more energy efficient. only one moving part, so very reliable.

my Engels are all single compartment I use 2 for refrigerators and one for a freezer. they do make dual zone(2compartment) ones.

highdesertranger

Does anyone know anything about this brand?
For the about price of a 21 quart alpicool you can get a 40 quart.

Kalamera Portable Refrigerator Freezer (40 Quart) Car, Camp, Office, Travel Mini Fridge | Electric Drink Cooler for Indoor, Outdoor, Traveling Use | DC and AC Power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PKGF1XX

Its rated wattage is 50 watts I dont know the rated wattage of the alpicool but I know that they have gotten good reviews on toutube. But this Kalamera brand I've never heard of.

Latest posts