What is THE portable vacuum cleaner van-solution?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeze

Reaction score
I stopped by BestBuy today, and they have Dyson wands which are handheld cleaners with a wand and a floor attachment. They ranged from about $200 to $500 depending on battery run time of 20 minutes to 40 minutes.

NAPA, my favorite autoparts, had a cleaner for $58 or $158 I'll have to take another look at now I know what the key factors are now: including suction, which I am ready to dyno with the palm of my hand (like a butt-dyno for hp :)

The colorful Dyson wands look pretty sharp in bright AL colored wands; as well as convenient to store and modular too to keep the cab area tidy on the spot. So all other things being close, they will be hard to beat. Of course, I'm hoping the guru's here will beat it in every respect though in value :-o  But for consumer electronics, BestBuy is very competitive; and I don't know of a commercial electronics store yet to compare it with. However, consumer electronics is often the best value for the dollar since that is where industry invests their research budget towards exclusively (??)
:cool:

Alot of carwashes have free vacuums or cheap. If your staying in town and keeping your vehicle clean. You could vacuum one a week. Sweep up the little things in the meantime. Then you don't even have to worry about a vacuum.

I suppose that answer might be a little off topic. That's been my solution so far. Ive wondered what to do if I wanted a vacuum. I'm not familiar with the Dyson. Most dustbuster type vacuums I've had have never been that great.

Have you considered one of those small shop-vac deals?

A 1 gallon Shop Vac if you've the room for it...does both wet and dry, is small and has enough suction.

I use a hand held broom for regular clean up and should use the vacuum at the car wash more often... :rolleyes: 

With the very small square footage of floor that needs sweeping I see no need to carry a vacuum of any kind but then one of our members found the hand held 12V vacuum he had very, very useful for sucking up all the flying insects that had infiltrated his van during the evening when the doors were open.... :D

I have a Dyson - battery charged and it has a wand that comes off and it has an attachment so it converts into a nice size for vans.
:)

I have 2 vacuums. a gas powered wet and dry, and a Dewalt 18v rechargeable. they both have there uses. highdesertranger

On my boat I use a 4" soft bristle paintbrush for quick sweep up.  Space is to tight to use a regular broom effectively. I find I can do a quick cleanup in the sleeping area (~7'lx6'wx4'h) and cabin (~7'lx6'wx6'h) in less than 10 minute.  I also wipe the surfaces down with Clorox disinfecting wipes after each trip to take care of fish smells. I will wipe the seats with a upholstery wipe at the beginning of each season.  After 9 years still happy with results.  This is a boat built to use and not a show piece.  I keep the brush under the front seat for quick cleanup.  I find it easy than a vac which I have, a rechargeable dust buster type.  I now leave it at home.  I use a 6" putty knife as a dust pan as well as other uses. Ken

If using carpeting a little 12v hand vac (made for truckers) is a good solution and vacuuming in general is probably a must.
That said, most just opt for the infinitely easier laminated floor and just sweep with a little brush and dust pan.

I have a hoLife rechargeable lithium (alternating current)hand vac. It'll also pick up 100ml of liquids. Not a name brand, but it had many good reviews on amazon.
Ted

What's your floor?

I've spent some time living in old airstreams, both carpeted and not. Those cheap stick vacuums are much too noisy for me, and don't work all that well. A broom works fine on both hard flooring and low pile carpet. But for carpet, a carpet rake (look for it on Amazon) works even better.

My new-to-me-van is floored with pick-up bed rug. I didn't know such a thing existed until I bought the van. So far, I really like it.

highdesertranger said:
I will give a review on the smaller Dewalt.  I have the 1/2 gallon 18v like this,

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...MIpa_Q-ZK61gIVFpJ-Ch0l7wgnEAAYASAAEgK_gvD_BwE

works great,  in fact I was blown away with how good it works.  BTW if you shop around you can find it cheaper.  highdesertranger
That one may be better suited for what I have in mind? Knowing Dewalt, it'll probably be able to use my 20v batteries too. I'll have to look into them both.

Home Depot sells vacuum heads that sit on top of 5gallon buckets and turns them into wet/dry vacs. Looks like a much better use of space!

If you are into Ryobi tools, you can buy a Ryobi handheld vac as well. They are remarkable in the broad range of tools that fit that battery system. They just came out with an electric chainsaw that runs on their batteries.

Ballenxj said:
Since I'm already invested in DeWalt, this might be an option for me. I'll have to check reviews on it. Meanwhile, how about a mini review?
Thanks in advance. :)

I use it for everything from debris and drywall dust at work and also vacuuming my van when I settle in for the evening and want the floor clean. It works surprisingly well. The one i linked to takes 18 or 20 volt batteries. The one hdr linked to is 18 volt, but they make a similar 20 volt option. If you already have the batteries then that is your solution.

I have a small shop vac that does wonders but isn't practical for me to take on the road. When traveling I like the Black and Decker hand held vac. It's small so it doesn't take up much room. Easy to recharge using a cheap plug in inverter into one of my 12v outlets. Great battery life. I can easily clean the whole van on one charge. And not too expensive. I got mine on amazon for about $65 but have seen it on sale for around $55 sometimes.

Here's a link to the one I use and am super happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Decker-BDH20...&sr=1-3&keywords=black+and+decker+hand+vacuum

Handhelds are great if you don't have a 6'-3.6" ceiling; but if you do (and are heavy and old as I), the AL wands for standing upright are really a dream to use. Admittedly, I have just started looking at vacs since I read an article from Bob about oem van options (?), but I've never seen one like the Dyson and they are Bestbuy's market leader in vacs. I just got my Mom a Dyson cannister household 110v vacuum cleaner (to reduce heavy lifting) and it was quite nice and a good value.

However, the AL wands are not near of a good value, but i would rather not put my motorcycle gear knee pads on when I vacuumed the van :-( The 40 minute max battery capacity is also a little disturbing on the AL wands too, but my cardiopulmonary limits are well below that anyway.