What is the lowest temp you usually see?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

Reaction score
Recently I've been focused on how hot full timers see while on the road over the course of the year, but now I'm wondering:

- How cold does it get while on the road?  How cold will you let it get before you head to warmer pastures?
- How cold does it get where you are stationed in the Winter (Southern TX, Southern AZ, Florida)?

This post mainly is my curiosity of how much clothing I'd need with me during a full year and layering systems.  If I go solo it'd most likely be in a Prius, so limited clothing  space.

Thanks!

It got down to the low 30's for just a few evenings last winter in Ehrenberg/Quartzite area. Everyone told me it was unusual but then they also blamed me for the Cdn cold coming down... :rolleyes:

We all sat around the campfire with a blankie wrapped around us. I hauled out my ski jacket, hat and mittens a couple of nights but a warm insulated fall jacket probably would have worked just as well with the hat/mittens.

Even on nights where it didn't get really cold, the coldest part of the day is early, early morning so there was many a morning when I went for my walk that I had on gloves and a hat.

If you have it, down packs up nice and small and will do you well for those colder nights around the fire and you could use it for emergency heat for sleeping if needed.

hahaha I knew this was coming in another month everyone will be talking heaters and AC will be seldom mentioned. the safe route is to always be prepared. cold snaps can and do happen even in the warmer areas. not saying you need snowshoes in the Colorado River Valley but long johns, heavy jacket and gloves are a must. highdesertranger

Come on up the the Rockies where you can see the 30's mid summer and 20's spring and fall.

One winter morning in Quartzsite we saw 17 degrees. I don't use any heat in my van, EVER. Never did in the moho, either. Stay in bed 'til the sun begins to rise. Things heat up quickly

jimindenver said:
Come on up the the Rockies where you can see the 30's mid summer and 20's spring and fall.

Doh... ok, my thoughts were a beanie fleece hat, my regular underwear and wicking Tshirt, a light down jacket (like this: http://tinyurl.com/zfexr6r), a rain jacket to layer over it for extra warmth if need be, and a set of long-johns bottoms to go over my zip off pants (like this: http://tinyurl.com/j9cvlkr).  I'd wear a pair of sneakers with regular, wicking ankle socks and possibly some down booties for sleeping as my feet get cold.  Sound reasonable? (I'd stick my hands in my jacket)

You never know until you test it. All I know is the temps can drop quickly once the sun sets even if we were running the A/C a few hours before.

I pack a medium down jacket I keep in a baby pillow case and add it over my sleeping bag if it gets too cold. very little weight and space .

As you get used to the hotter parts of the country you will be putting it on at a warmer temp than you would need it in cold country.

What sleeping bag are you guys rocking? I have access to 15F and 45F Marmot down sleeping bags (I've taken them down to their stated temperature ratings). The 15F would be great for this cold sleeping, but holy heck will that be hot in the summer, and carrying a few extra blankets in the Prius may be a space hog. I don't like to rely on the Prius's heating system , but perhaps it is necessary here.

I don't use a sleeping bag. My bed is made up almost like my bed at home..top and bottom sheet and the duvet.

The difference is that my duvet is from the S&B bed so it fits a double/queen and I'm in a twin size bed now. The duvet fits perfectly folded in half. I use a sheet over top as a duvet cover.

On a hot night I sleep under the duvet cover, on a more moderate night it's under the bed sheet with a single layer of duvet over me. On a cold night - two layers of duvet, and on a really, really cold night I'll put nightwear on. When it gets down to the freezing mark, that nightwear might just consist of my microfleece thermal long underwear that are from my canoe tripping gear.

Sheets are easy to wash, sleeping bags, not so much!!

I have 2 bags 1 extra wide summer bag and 1 regular width cold bag
I can put the regular inside the wide for extra cold nights.
I also use the down jacket on top for deep freeze .
Varying what I wear from nothing to polypro to fully dressed and adding fleece jackets under /over the bags . Pretty much covers every possibility. But I am spending winter in really cold areas minus 20 not out of the question.

If you're going to the SW deserts you won't need anything like that. Anything for a cover and varying amounts of fleece and or down will work .

It regularly gets minus 30 here in Wisconsin. You learn to dress for it. I don't know if I'd do a Wisconsin winter in an RV even a winterized one. But it has been done.

I have a summer bag and a winter bag. both down. the summer bag can go inside the winter bag. I also carry a fleece blanket sometime that's all I use or sometimes I use it in a combo with either bag. I have heard good thing about Marmot bags. highdesertranger

I've seen 15 degrees F. in the early mornings a few times.

It's cold but survivable for sure.

So as a cold sleeper, perhaps I'll need both the summer and winter bag. Or maybe just the winter bag and use a sheet plus fleece blanket for the rest of the year.

When I go camping I take 3 sleeping bags, or rather 2 bags and a fleece liner. The fleece fits into the summer bag, and the summer bag fits into the winter bag. I don't recall using all three together, but I have used the liner in the summer bag, and I have put the summer bag inside of the winter bag. Depending on how cold or warm it is this gives a lot of flexibility.
One large water tank will not freeze as quickly as several gallon jugs. If you are not wearing your jacket to bed, you can wrap it around your water jugs to help keep them from freezing. If you carry a large and small container, you may want to pour the small back into the large before bed if you have room. Small water containers might fit into the sleeping bag with you. Hot coffee or tea is a must have for cold mornings. Hard to boil a frozen plastic jug.

I spent 4 winters in the interior of BC with my kids every second weekend in my rig; -28C was the worst we saw. Great insulation and a 17000 BTU furnace and it was no problem. The condensation on the aluminum door frames of the cube van could get quite nasty but nothing a couple of paper towels every couple of hours could not handle...

Attachments

• 2016 truck small.jpg
    2016 truck small.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 5
I have an obsession with blankets and sleeping bags and usually travel with way more than required.

My traveling minimum contains:
A 30 degree down bag from Eastern Mountain Sports (Non mummy style, I can't sleep constricted)
A fleece sleeping bag that fits inside the down bag
A cotton blanket

And the love of my life is my Big Agnes Down Comforter. It goes anywhere I do. It was very expensive but worth every cent. Same outer material as a sleeping bag but no zipper.
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Do...8988&sr=8-1&keywords=big+agnes+down+comforter

I also always have a windbreaker, down vest and jacket, gloves, hat and northface shell/rain pants.

- How cold does it get while on the road? How cold will you let it get before you head to warmer pastures?

There have been a couple of times it got below freezing, with frost on the inside of the windshield. But those times were rare. Needless to say, I was quickly out of there. I am ALWAYS seeking pleasant weather

- How cold does it get where you are stationed in the Winter (Southern TX, Southern AZ, Florida)?

I've wintered in the greater Yuma area for a couple of years, where the nights usually get down to the 50s, with only occasional 40s. But the wind can make it feel colder. I spent a month in Baja where the nights were in the 60s. I have a propane heater, but I don't use it much. I take the chill off for a few minutes before getting into bed, then take the chill of when I get up. Then I'm fine.