what has worked for me is renting a spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowin

Reaction score
in a friend's backyard, usually $50 per month suffices, so that there are no complaints about my sunshades.  If it's really cold, I rent a 10x20ft public storage unit, pull the van inside and get out of the wind and precipitation, that helps a lot.  I use a propane fired plumber's furnace as part of my biz, so I heat a couple of 5 gallon buckets to a boil, and position them where they give  off heat where needed. I'll hang space blankets to reflect back the heat, so I only need to re heat the water about once every 4 hours.  Its not needed for sleeping, of course, due to the sleeping bags.

knowin said:
... I rent a 10x20ft public storage unit, pull the van inside and get out of the wind and precipitation, that helps a lot...

Some folks tried that in one of the towns I used to live in. It did not go over very well. But they were there for a couple of weeks.

You would be amazed if you spent some money on insulation and a Buddy Heater with a 20# pound tank how mobile you could be. The change in the quality of your life and the added freedom would be wonderful. You have 'wheel estate'. Everyone has to do life on their terms.....You have much better options.

I don't think that this would go over well in so cal!! great idea though