What does everybody do for a living??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukaa

Reaction score
Hi everyone 
Thread title says it all. 
What does everybody do for a living

husband took early retirement at 52 so right now he is not working
I am 56 and I don't work anymore.

future work on the road will maybe something like campground host situation. We won't be having a real job, but I know we will find ways to take some financial strain off of our travels like with hosting possibly. Husband might find a part time local job if we find a location we love and hunker down a bit. Who knows? We are up for whatever comes down in our future travel life :)

I've been writing for websites for quite a few years now, but am at retirement age and am looking for a change . . . I want to start a traveling retail business. I'll probably start by selling clothing and accessories, some of which I'll make on that sewing machine that's going with me in my van.

Roamer428 we did exactly that but I'm one of those people that like to work so after finding a remote National Recreational area we really liked but couldn't stay at unless you worked there my wife and I went to work for the concessionaire and latter a local hire was easy to get for National Park Service where we get furloughed several months a year to travel. We have been doing that the last 13 years!

Retired from being a Transport Refrigeration Mechanic. Have pension and now Social Security. I actually make more money now than when I was working. This is why the idea that young people should drop out of society and become transient farm labor or other unskilled labor kind of rubs me wrong. If you do not prepare for a retirement income, nobody is going to give you one. When you are old, broke, and don't even qualify for Social Security, are the people who talked you into the lifestyle going to share their income with you?

bullfrog said:
Roamer428 we did exactly that but I'm one of those people that like to work so after finding a remote National Recreational area we really liked but couldn't stay at unless you worked there my wife and I went to work for the concessionaire and latter a local hire was easy to get for National Park Service where we get furloughed several months a year to travel.  We have been doing that the last 13 years!

very cool.  you must love it if you are doing it for the past 13 yrs.  So glad you guys found your niche out there!
We worked so hard.  We owned 100 acre working farm.  125 hogs in rotation for meat sales, 400 chickens for eggs, hay, horse boarding and breeding, crops for sale and more while we worked full time jobs!  I tell from 30 to 50 we worked liked dogs LOL but we also loved that life!!  We are brain fried now.  Over the last 5 yrs we have sold off the animals, farm and equipment and all.  Such a huge hole now in our life in a way but we know traveling and freedom on the road will fill up that hole :) If hubby decides on part time job it will be more from just wanting to fill up some time vs. needing to work.  He I think is passed the 'I am the type that needs to work' anymore person HAHA

It is great to hear your story tho and I find it so interesting on how others do make it work so well for them out there on the road!  Gives us tons of ideas!  Thanks for sharing!

DannyB1954 said:
Retired from being a Transport Refrigeration Mechanic. Have pension and now Social Security. I actually make more money now than when I was working. This is why the idea that young people should drop out of society and become transient farm labor or other unskilled labor kind of rubs me wrong. If you do not prepare for a retirement income, nobody is going to give you one. When you are old, broke, and don't even qualify for Social Security, are the people who talked you into the lifestyle going to share their income with you?

yes it is a very big swing in how people want to hit the road.
when younger, my parents always said work hard now when younger and bank it all, so when you are older you can have your freedoms and be able to pay for just that.
It works so well for those that can easily follow that road.
but many are not like me tho, they want the freedom from the get go and I so get it.  But when older, one does struggle more I think without some good cash flow in their lives.  Money makes the world go'round.  Again tho, many might say my thinking is way off and that is OK, haha, but I am glad we did our working life the way we did it.
It boils down to each his own tho I guess in the end for everyone.  I sure get what you are saying tho!!

I work from a mobile app. I do home repairs and remodeling. It allows me to travel and earn an income as I go. And if I decide to go off grid for a while I can stay in a location for a while and build up supplies and fuel money so I don't have to dip into the reserves. It's been working fine for the past couple of years. And as long as I can live comfortably and still build up savings I'll take that blessing. Nice idea for a topic. Thanks!.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Whenever anyone asks me how I make a living on the road, I always tell them I rob gas stations. Short hours, good pay, get to be my own boss.

Actually I am an editor for a small book publishing company.

I've been doing internet marketing for over 18 years.

More specifically I promote PPL (pay per lead) offers. Which are lead generation offers which companies pay for each lead you generate for them.

As long as I have internet access, I can work from anywhere.

DannyB1954 said:

Pensions seem to be mostly in the past. I was one of the last people to receive a pension when hired before they changed to IRA's. When my pension pays out, it is estimated to get me $40.00 to maybe $60.00 per month. I'm sincerely happy for people that have that option and it's worked out well for them.

My plan is the same as all through my life, live as cheaply as I can. I started working when I was 14, all low wage jobs because I've had debilitates all my life. At one time I worked three jobs while going to school full time. I never gave up, I finally finished high school at 21, and finished trade school in my 30's, which I paid %100 cash for, no grants or loans. When I started working there was no such thing as an IRA. I lost my first savings in the 1970's due to hyper inflation (double digits) and recession. Lost my last to the 2008 recession.

The one constant in my life? I've never met anyone that can live cheaper then I, "that's what I do for a living."

RoamerRV428 said:
happy to hear it is working so well for you Beeps!!
Thanks, it's comfortable. I lack nothing. And I have freedom.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I am only semi-nomadic. I am a live-in pet sitter who goes from placement to placement. Currently in a town house with a cat and a dog through Wednesday night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm a flight attendant. Currently sitting in my hotel in Venice Italy while enjoying unlimited internet and the opportunity to take the longest hot shower I can endure. I'm in hotels more then I am in the van. And when I get extra days off I typically go on a short road trip to explore my area or I jump on a plane and go visit one of my kids.

I think in September I spent about 8 or 9 nights in the van the whole month. Van life works perfectly for my job. I don't see paying good money for a place I would rarely be at. One of the girls I just flew with said she spent 5 nights in her apartment in Minneapolis last month. Her rent is $1500 a month. Yikes!!!! That's a lot of money for a place you don't go to.

Latest posts