What difference in Sprinters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I've noticed that there seem to be three types of Sprinters:  Mercedes, Dodge and Freightliner.

What is the difference between them?

Nothing except who assembled the parts state-side...all have same engine and everything between comparable model and year.

You'll never see a Dodge and Mercedes of the same year because Dodge had a contract with 'cedes to assemble and sell under Dodge name.

When looking at used Sprinters it more important to understand the evolution of their emission controls because they are responsible for both decreased mileage and expensive repairs...to the point that the 2006 Sprinter can sell for absurd amounts. Just saw one sell locally, a 2005 Sprinter with 220k miles, for $19,000.

from 2002 to 2006 there are two different engines. I *think that's up to 2003, possibly 2004.

They're both 2.7 liter 5 cylinder diesels (baby to the MB400 in semi's...) but one is rated for CA emissions and the other isn't. I *think the non-CA motor is in freightliners only.

In 2007 there was a body style change. Some of those are still around under a freightliner badge. It was around that time that Freightliner was no longer carrying sprinters and they went exclusive to Dodge, then, with Fiat picking up Chrysler they had their own mid size Fiat based van known as the "ProMaster".

I KNEW some of you guys would know! Everyone here has talked me out of a Sprinter.... IF I had the money, which I don't. But they look nice.

Thanks!

The two engines are easy to tell apart: Intake manifold size and EGR valve location are the two big clues to which you have.

TrainChaser said:
I KNEW some of you guys would know!  Everyone here has talked me out of a Sprinter.... IF I had the money, which I don't.  But they look nice.

Thanks!

Don't know that they look nice, but I sure do like the height in the cargo area.