What did You, do to your Freedom Machine today?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
Sometimes the feeling of accomplishment of something minor, or perhaps a stage accomplished toward something major, can really help improve mood and outlook.

I put this in the Conversion and Modifications Forum, hoping that people don't decide to tell us they drove their ride somewhere, and that that is worthy of having "done" something to it. If you've already got a thread going about your conversion, this thread can serve as a heads up to go check out the more detailed progress over there ,or just provide the short version of the progress.

I think there is less interest in having work performed on your vehicle by someone else, much more interesting if you have done it yourself, learned something, accomplished something, and want to share that.

These types of threads can go off topic easily and sometimes new threads should be started on a certain Specific topic, but some leeway should be allowed to address issues, ask questions, or find an amusing tangent within this thread, if the interest is there, and if it proves to be a long lasting thread. All it takes is one person to re align the thread to its purpose, so thread Highjackings should be accommodated to a degree but lets not make the moderators work harder than they have to.

Pics always appreciated by me, but I know some have limited data plans, so keep them in mind, and please keep quoting to a minimum. If addressing a person's post, address that person, do not quote the person's whole post, and add a smiley face or a "x2"or some other infuriating nonsense popular on other forums. The quoting being the infuriating part, not the smiley face.

So here is what I accomplished today, I replaced 2 of 3 of my fan belts. The alternator belt had stretched so much I could no longer adjust it tighter to get it to the proper tension, and stop the squealing when it was required to provide more than 65 amps. I used a Made in the USA Goodyear Gatorback belt as a replacement. The stretched belt was made in Mexico, and was showing some age and stress and wear. My alternator is asked to work hard so I don't blame the belt, yet, I need to see how this new belt fares in the same stresses.

My van actually has provisions for 2 V belts for the alternator and AC compressor. My AC compressor is just a dead pulley, and the pulleys are not aligned very well, so with 2 matched belts installed, one would always be looser than the other and vibrate and cause weird harmonics, so I run just one belt, and when the battery(s) are thirsty, it stresses this single belt to the limit where it slips and squeals, and apparently stretches. I've tried to address the slight pulley misalignment in the past, but it is simply too much work to achieve perfection.

The third belt is for my Airpump. Emissions. I used to remove the belt after passing CA smog tests, because the airpump is kind of noisy and is a literal drag on the motor, but then the air pump would seize and it and the check valves would need to be replaced too before the next smog test. Easier and cheaper to just leave the belt on and turn up the stereo.

I also replaced the powersteering / waterpump belt as it had to come off anyway to reach the alternator belt.

I addressed some Stereo wiring and found out why my aftermarket mechanical oil pressure Gauge's light no longer functioned. The T10 base incandescent 194 bulb had been knocked from the back of the gauge from the haphazard 3.5mm stereo mini plug wiring, and USB charge wiring to charge my Phone, which passes through the same general area.
I replaced the incandescent 194 with a Red LED bulb I had handy. Much nicer, but it does not dim as much as the incandescent 194, but does not need to. I made it so the wires could not pull the bulb holder from the gauge again. I have several long stereo mini plug cables from different sources/ locations through out my Van to make it easy to run my TV, Phone or laptop through the stereo speakers.

My Flatscreen LED backlit 13.3 inch 12vDC TV is on a 4 foot long double elbow swing arm which allows me to place the TV where easiest to look at, whether facing my third chair or right over my head when in bed and any point/angle in between. At the end of the swing arm is a little device to allow tilting the screen up or down or hold it flat and out of the way when driving. It has a thumbscrew to tighten to hold it in a certain position.

The plastic teeth eventually stripped, and could not hold the TV at the angle desired. I had superglued 220 grit sandpaper where the stripped teeth were, which worked awesome, for 3 weeks before the sandpaper was smooth as a baby's bottom. Tonight I put some rubber O rings on top of the sandpaper. All is now well, but do not know for how long.

When tinkering with this, I had the TV on, and I lost reception on all channels. The RG-6 cable had been flexed so much, so often over the years, that the outer part of the cabling, the quad shielded ground, lost continuity. I expected the center copper conductor to have failed but it was the outer shielding which did.

I had some quality new RG-6, ready to install and finally did so. When I ran an Autoscan, I saw channels I have not seen in months, and I only have my small "traveltenna" attached, not the larger anti stealth homemade Alien antenna that I can clamp to my spare tire carrier, put 12 feet into the air, and can pick up pretty much everything available if aimed correctly..

I am not sure if i want to cross more projects off my list this holiday weekend, or go grab a beachside parking spot in the early morning and hold it till sundown and accomplish nothing more than saltwater therapy, but If I get there late, no parking spots, traffic nimrods everywhere, and I return back to my Spot with an entire new and unhealthy contempt for humanity.

So, What did You, do to your Freedom Machine today?

This could be a great thread. Not very exiting but will be installing 1x3 boards on my bare walls to be able to mount stuff on. On my way to the lumber yard now.
A SEEKER

I got my seats back from the upholstery guy the other day. They're done in pleated leather. Man...they turned out PHOENOMINAL!!! (even had a logo embroidered in the headrests!) :cool:

I'm doing a barter for this work from a guy who does high-end hot-rod upholstery work. He does such beautiful work and really wants to do all the upholstery work in my truck (it's a 1 of a kind 1-ton hot-rod)...but even bartering, there's no way I can afford it. The rest I kin do myself anyway.

But, this definately inspires me to get my butt going on getting this truck finished. 7 years is WAYYYYY too long!! :p

I'm figuring on painting it within the next 2 weeks.....Woo-Hoo!!

I installed a swivel base for my passenger seat yesterday. I haven't had enough coffee yet to do anything industrious today.

I had to have help getting 3 of the 8 bolts loose but I gladly accepted and appreciated that help. The new base was the more expensive of the two commonly available. I didn't trust that the cheap base was made well enough. I like the base I got from Discount Van Truck online. The handle is rubberized, the base plate and swivel sections are solid and though I have read some had to drill out one hole slightly, I did not have to. What I did have to do was go find new floor bolts that were about 1/2" longer than the original bolts due to the new floor plate resting on the floor surface, which is a little lumpy there under that seat. I did not want star head bolts since I don't have a star head tool big enough and I didn't want to buy one. So I got hex head bolts that I could tighten with a crescent wrench. The original back floor bolts were studs, with a separator in the middle. I figured that was to make it easy for the assemblers to not screw up. I just got fully threaded bolts so I could tighten them down as far as I wanted to through the nuts welded to the underside of the floor. All four bolts tightened down well and the base plate does not wobble at all.

The bolts on the seat itself fit perfectly into the top plate and I used the existing nuts to tighten the seat down.

The seat is the original seat, and the seat belt functions properly and just as before. I might lengthen the wiring for the airbag. The wires come out from under the base plate and push-connect to wires coming from under the seat cushion. But the wiring is short and has to be unplugged before swiveling the seat.

The seat slider was not affected at all in this change-out, and the seat has to be slid up a ways and then back a ways to clear the door frame and the console but it is no big deal since the benefit is that now I have a recliner in my van. Since a bed/couch is right behind the driver seat, I now have a little 'living room'.

Swivel Seat.jpg

This one is not a yesterday or today accomplishment, more like a couple of weeks ago, but there is also a littler bed which slides out from under the bed/couch to the other side of the van to make two beds with a middle aisle. Hope it's ok to post this too.

2014-08-20 19.40.08.jpg

I'm still working on a lot of stuff but we've been on some trips now and dry camped and so far everything is pretty functional and comfortable.

2002 Ford E350

Attachments

• Swivel Seat.jpg
    Swivel Seat.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 2014-08-20 19.40.08.jpg
    2014-08-20 19.40.08.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 133
I tinned the wires for the twisted pair wire frm Shunt to the set screws on my battery monitor. The screws which clamp down on stranded wire might be end user convenient, but they loosen up and cause issues.

Mine would read 300+ amps flowing into the battery at times due to the connection having loosened up. Actual was under 5a.

Now where is my to do List? Crossing something off it releases a bit of serotonin.

sassypickins-I love the wood floor in your little home and that and a swivel front passenger seat are on my wish list. Nice job! Jan

Thanks everyone -- I would not have used laminate flooring but I had some left from when I did my house. I think I would do a vinyl wood-look floor if it would withstand water better than this stuff. However, it's super easy to sweep and keep clean so I will enjoy it until the last fake knothole drowns!

Patrick and Seeker: pics, man, pics!

We gave Moby a BIG hug for serving us so well! He also got a new windshield wiper blade, underhood light bulb and some Stabil.

I am working on the area where my fiberglass roof attaches to my Van above the windshield.

I'll be covering these brass thread inserts into Epoxy saturated Fiberglass "rope" about 1 inch in diameter and molded to the roof outline.

IMG_1965copy_zps304ac893.jpg

The Green is the original Fiberglass roof sanded down to bare fiberglass. The recesses already go into a 3/4 inch diameter fiberglass rope I added a while back. The fiberglass holes are threaded too. Gonna be ridiculously strong, and roof is molded perfectly to Van, but not bonded to it, so It can still be removed.

Been working this task in stages, as mother Pacific has been calling, and it is kind of tedious with all the prepwork involved.

Here's looking out my front windshield that is about 6 to 8 foot on the face:
IMG_1882copy_zpsfaeafbf6.jpg

WOW!!!

I wish we got clean faces like that up here!!!!! ^^^

we don't call this "riding in the soup" for nuthing!!! :(

Shoulda seen it before the wind came up.

I mixed 480Ml of Epoxy today. These Brass inserts are now locked in, part of the fiberglass roof. I roughed up the exterior threads since they do not need to cut their way into place, for extra mechanical tooth.

IMG_1991copy_zpsf4f68e4d.jpg

The screws backed out easily after removing the Blue tape. I was worried they'd be Epoxied in place. I'd waxed them to keep them from sticking to the roof or inserts. Trick is to not get the Wax, where the epoxy needs to bond.

Contamination can be evil.

I wondered about the screws too. I make sure, whenever I bed a rifle stock, to well-grease the screws so they will release okay. Same principle with your top screws.

Installed my rotating Silverstone fan:

Rough install (can't find my tinsnips)but it's functional.

Ahh the good ole Silverstone fm121 and the speed control. Nicely done!

I've a Vantec Tornado in 80mm and 92mm sizes for internal air movement. They are on flexible goosenecks and have a ciggy plug style voltage controller as a speed control.
They move dense columns of air where Aimed. the Silverstone and most fans without steering vanes, have 4 hotspots which move air away from the fan at a wider angle and are less effective at distance..

If the fm121 is not enough air movement or does not have the single hotspot, check out the SS AP 182. It also has a speed control, and on low speed draws 0.05a, less than the fm121 on low.

But it will pull 1.3 amps on high, and does not like battery charging voltages at high speeds, the hub gets too hot.

Today, I Sanded my roofline and brass thread inserts.

The brown is wood flour, in my homemade Epoxy bondo filler. Lots of milled fiberglass fibers mixed in too for added strength.

IMG_1995copy_zps2c7f5fe8.jpg

My curtains have been falling down for forever, the ones that seperate the front from the back. I like having them velcro'd up so if i pull them by accident (all the time with my chair) they pull away but can be put up. Well that was the theory but the glue gave before the velco :D I then tried hot glue, which failed. Then i tried a stronger hot glue. This worked for a month or so.

I Finally decided to fix it once and for all so i got some small screws and screwed the strips up there by hand, to prevent it from wrapping the glue covered velcro in a ball. I also applied gorilla glue between the areas of the screws. Seems to be working great and it feels nice, it bugged the heck out of me when it fell every day.

My next mission is to fix the back on my chair and a rattle in my driver side door.

I used PVC and added a cold water line to my hot water heater. Now I can adjust for warm instead of cold or scalding. I also installed a dashboard mounted fan that will keep the dogs and I cooler. It's wired to the battery so I can leave it on while I make a quick run into the store with the pups in the van.

For my E150 Project, I still need to get it home (it's sitting at Mom's place) to really work on it. But the battery died - it's over five years old and won't keep a charge. Finally got around to getting a new battery today. Still need to get my Toyota Tercel hauled off, as the E150 will take it's place in my small yard.
I may end up driving the old Ford for awhile soon - my minivan has brakes grinding, and needs a full brake job done - I expect they will want to keep it a few days.
Previously I had installed a new smaller steering wheel (makes it more comfy for a fat guy to drive!), and got all new tail light and turn signal covers, and matched truck mirrors - Dad had a mismatched set cobbled onto it.

Yesterday I sanded and painted my roofline over my windshield. Got all the Stainless screws pulling the leading edge of the roof down tightly. Got the shelf above driver reinstalled and tightened, and re insulated the areas too which I had to remove for access for the repair.

So nice to not have Duct or Gaffers tape up there any more and have everything buttoned up tightly again.

Still needs another coat of paint, but I am sick of looking at it and we got a new fair sized Southern Hemi Swell in town and that takes priority.

Latest posts