What did U do with those valuable bench seats U had to take out before conversion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapliving

Reaction score
I was looking at a big F350 van that seats 11, with 3 bench seats that aren't cheap. So what do you do with them? There's no market of buyers who are going to pay anything for them, and no one wants to rent and pay for a storage facility to house them, and if you keep your bricks and sticks home, which full-time RVers don't, they'd take up half your garage.

Things are only valuable if someone is willing to pay for them. If no one wants them, then they're junk for the scrapyard. Luckily, you'd have a large vehicle to haul them in. :D

I was very lucky, after a long time on Craigslist someone finally bought the set (bench seat and 2 passenger seats).
 As I remember only got $175 for all, but sure better than nothing.

first I would try to sell them like crackedpan did. if that didn't work take them to a junk yard that deals in vans and try to trade them off. highdesertranger

I gave mine to a friend. His plans were to install then (bench and one captains seat) on a flatbed trailer that he used for tailgating at various events. The second seat, which I had kept in the van for a couple of years, was set out at the end of my mother's driveway with a "free" sign. Someone took it within a couple of hours.

What rear seats get listed for on Ebay has no real meaning in a local market place and the local buyers know that.
Like yourself I did not want to store them. If you are judging their value by Ebay listings and try to sell them locally for that price you will likely not get a buyer. But if you want to give it a go at those prices then do so. You might get lucky.

I don't have a large van but I did need to get rid of the backseats in my Honda Element. While there are some listed on Ebay for 100.00 I knew that was not a realistic price. There is only a very limited market for used rear seats as they are frequently removed to convert vans for cargo hauling or camping. That means there are lots of them available which makes their resale value fairly low.

I listed my rear seats on craigslist in the auto parts section for $25.00 and I did find a buyer who of course did not show up with the right change. They will do that kind of thing to get people to let them go for less. I was expecting that and most certainly did not care. My actual goal was to avoid having them go to a landfill for environmental reasons so I let them go for $15.00. If they had not sold in the auto parts section within two weeks then I would have relisted them in the free section.

Latest posts