What Brought You To This Website?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I am hoping this hasn't been discussed before but "What brought you to this website originally?".  For me, I have been involved with camping/RVing for years and came across mention of this website in "RVing on a Budget" type areas of RV forums, 3 that I am/was a member of.  So, I was looking for specific info on the lifestyle.  Most of the time this was pre-retirement discussions so lower budget and creativity was a big part of the discussion.  I also saw mention of Bob's book, which I now own a copy of, keep coming up as a "suggestion" when I was shopping at Amazon.  So, what brought you here if you don't mind sharing.

Been here a while I guess when I bought my E350 Looking around for like minded people, found quite a few actually, thanks.

A few years ago, I knew retirement was around the corner.  We have always traveled by van or lately SUV (no camping in the SUV).  We put over 250K miles on a '77 Dodge short van (109" wheelbase) that I fixed up with a U shaped couch in the back that made into a bed, a closet with a shelf in the top that held a 9" color TV and a cabinet that had a sink with a hand pump in it.  So this lifestyle was kinda already a part of us.  I bought the Roadtrek a couple of years ago (before finding this place) knowing that walking around in a van on our knees was not going to be good at our age.  Now we would have time to slow down and smell the roses instead of the destination traveling we had been doing.  I also searched the interweb looking for a cost effective way of doing this as I knew DW would never give up the S&B.  She grew up in a house built in 1865 I think and the walls and floor did not meet.  It was drafty and cold in the Winter and hot in the Summer.  It makes her feel grounded.  Anyway, I was looking to travel a lot on a budget as I knew we would still have to pay for maintenance (lawn mowing, etc), utilities, insurance........  I ran across Bob's website in August of 2014 and became a lurker as I found what seemed to be a kindred spirit here.  I finally signed up to be a member December 8th, 2014 to introduce us as I planned on going to the RTR in January.  DW wanted to go too :D  We went to the RTR and stayed about a week and a half :(  and had a great time, I had to drive back to go to work :( :( .  My last day at work will be January 4th , 2016 :D :D :D :D and we will be heading to the RTR as soon as I get home on the 4th. :cool:  ~1300 miles in two days?!?  Here I am, destination driving still  :p  See ya'll at the RTR!

For me basically researching and pouring through the search engines.  I've been owning/operating Vans since school days where I started out using them for recreation, and travel back and forth from where I was in school to where my family lived a few states away.   Dad had owned a Van since I was a kid and I learned growing from his stories of his experiences.  Most of the full timer's I had ever met were in Class C RV's and a few in Class A's.

I only wish I had the Internet back then.   I got it just after the mid 90's and although there was some good
info in those times there was nothing like there is today.   More people now have computers, mobile devices,
and broadband so sites like CRVL are more possible where photos, video's, and blog's can be published to
help others. (newbies especially)  I share my Van experience and stories of being on the road in my past
corporate career for others benefit from.   What I enjoy most here is the discussions of Solar power,  electrical
systems, and modifications that make for better living.  The tricks people share of how to live a mobile nomadic
life intrigue me. (buying a membership to national Gym franchises where I could get a shower & shave 24/7,
or places I could join to get discounted campground parking) 

The only thing I had going for me when I got my first Van was having my Boy Scout training.  There was no
internet so I basically had a few books and campground directories to rely on.  Otherwise I had to write my own book and share information with other seasoned travelers in campgrounds around the camp fires back then.  I or anyone else can come to a site like this one and get years of collective information with just a few
mouse clicks.  Any young newbie who grew up with a computer should learn to appreciate the treasure
he or she has here that can enable them to take a pipe dream to fruition.

The first winter RTR, in Q and the freaking awesome people I met and formed lifetime bonds with.

Searching on the web, how to live cheap. At the cost of living I don't know how anyone can live in s&b home? Wages haven't gone up much in many years and I have to work up to 60-70 hours a week to make a living! I started to realize I can't keep going like this or I will drop dead from exhaustion!

We've been living and traveling fulltime in our RV for many years. I've joined other RVing sites but have never felt like I belonged. Our lifestyle doesn't fit with the mainstream RVer who stays in private parks for months at a time or lives in a house and uses a RV for vacations.

I discover Bob's first site while searching for boondocking information. At the time it was a fairly simple site without a forum or an easy way to comment so I was excited when the forum started. It's been fun and interesting watching the site grow through the years. It's such a great resource and unlike anything else on the internet.

And like Cyndi we have meet so many wonderful people from this site at the RTR and on the road.

I found it thru a round about search for living frugally in an RV. I was surprised that a site called "Cheap RV Living" would be so anti RV's. I also didn't realize that the way they were "cheap" was to either spend $1000's on solar (which I can't afford) and/or to sleep on the streets (I'm not stealthy in a 40 ft school bus conversion and I have already been booted off the street in the bus). I get the deep impression that I do not belong here nor should I be here. I will probably stop posting. I don't think I belong on any forum. I've already been told (elsewhere) that I'm not a "real fulltimer" since I do not move every few days. And I am not an "RVer" since I live in a self-converted school bus. Oh well. Too Many Labels.

In 2009 when I knew I wanted to go on the road, cheaply and probably in my Prius (after considering other options), I found CheapRVLiving while doing web searches. I scoured the site, gleaning as much practical information as I could. It was, and continues to be an invaluable resource. In 2010 I met some vandwelling folks and immediately felt a kinship ... same with the RTRs. When the CRVL forum started up, it was just a natural progression to join in here as well.

I've been watching your recent posts with great sadness compassrose. My overall impression from them is that you are battling some form of depression or sense of low self worth, as the posts you have made were excellent, but you seem to react to even the most benign responses as criticisms that warrant removal of your post! Please, talk to someone, anyone who can help you work through this. I, for one, would deeply miss your participation. The site is not anti-RV, nor even anti-Skoolie. It's PRO Cheap RV Living, whether that RV is professionally manufactured, totally home-made, or anywhere in between.

re: OP - I found the site via a Google search while looking for more info on Boondocking, as I was DONE with trying to make my reduced income try to supply me a traditional S&B domicile. I love this place and recommend it to everyone who will listen to me!

compassrose said:
 I get the deep impression that I do not belong here nor should I be here. I will probably stop posting.

I'm really sorry that you feel that way.

This is about the least judgmental forum I have ever seen. When people do get judgmental the mods try to nip it in the bud and then get a ration of you know what for censorship.

You've added a lot of valid information to this forum. You've had 293 posts receive thanks for your input. Your reputation is rated a 7, which is above average, the average being 6.

Many of us belong no where, and are loners. That is part of the reason we're here. 

Admit it. You're one of us and you've found a home. Go ahead! Admit it!!!

compassrose said:
I found it thru a round about search for living frugally in an RV. I was surprised that a site called "Cheap RV Living" would be so anti RV's. I also didn't realize that the way they were "cheap" was to either spend $1000's on solar (which I can't afford) and/or to sleep on the streets (I'm not stealthy in a 40 ft school bus conversion and I have already been booted off the street in the bus). I get the deep impression that I do not belong here nor should I be here. I will probably stop posting. I don't think I belong on any forum. I've already been told (elsewhere) that I'm not a "real fulltimer" since I do not move every few days. And I am not an "RVer" since I live in a self-converted school bus. Oh well. Too Many Labels.
No.CompassRose! Please don't go. You do too belong here! [emoji21] I always appreciate your insight. I can't have people like you leaving just when I come out of lurker mode. That ain't fair. [emoji27]

One of the reasons I posted the topic is to show what I realized early on. What I see is there are not the strict perimeters here as exists in most of the other, if not all, forums as you don't have to have a certain vehicle/RV/misc., be a certain age, have a certain income, etc. and if you deviate, you are snubbed and treated like you have the IQ of a carrot.

All info is appreciated. We have a lot of people just reading so you never know how many people might benefit from what you are posting. I may read something "compassrose" posts and not be able to use it but pass it on later to someone else or direct them to this site where someone is full-timing in a "skoolie".

It's ALL good!

My husband and I watched the video "Without Bounds" and both of us were and are drawn to that lifestyle. Having lived three years without a car has made me hunger for travel. DH lived on the road in his twenties before he met me. He didn't do it in a rig though. He hitchhiked with his gear on his back. (I don't want to go that route)

I was looking for a way out of living in a homeless shelter. I was in a pretty deep depression because of losing my business, my house, my fiance, my savings, and my mom. I knew I was inheriting a small sum from my mom's estate and wanted to figure out a way to live cheaply, so I didn't end up wasting that money.
At first, I was thinking of a small RV or Road Trek, and found this site while researching living cheap in an RV. But as I read in Bob's blogs and on the forums, I realized that vandwelling was more my style. And that vandwellers are more my type of people.
I'll admit, much of the stuff posted on the forums here doesn't apply to the way that I live. I don't have a pet, rarely boondock, cook very simple foods, did a pretty basic build on my van interior, travel alone, and live on about $500 per month (from earnings or savings). But I still read even the forum posts that don't apply to my lifestyle. Because you guys are so dang interesting! :)

Don't recall for sure if I found this site by web searching or referral from one of the Vandwellers forums, but have stuck around because I learn something every day, some of which has little to do with vans, rv's, travel.
A hefty portion of what I have gleaned from hanging here is how to be human. That is not all that common in many forums.

Compassrose- I, too, have noticed some bitterness creeping into your posts- please heed the caring advice others have offered. You, and your contributions are valued.

Compassrose - another request for you to stay and keep posting. If there were a way for you to attend the RTR and meet some of the members in person you would see how inclusive and accepting this group really is. Everyone is welcome. Dwelling vehicle, financial status, age, or anything else that might tend to separate a group do not matter.
Plus we would all love to see some of the innovative things you have come up with to make your bus a comfortable home! :)

Been a wanderer all my life...14 different schools K-12 (military brat), followed by my own 20 year military career and then spent another 20 years driving truck throughout the US and Canada. I retired at 59, 4 years ago, debt/mortgage free and thought I'd like to settle down at home. Well, my fishing trips got longer in duration and distances travelled...so have the house up for sale and will be moving permanently into my Transit Connect in March. I found this site while searching for all the military campgrounds in the US. Lurked for awhile, liked much of what I read, learned a bunch and here I be. All the best everybody.

Don't you dare go anywhere CompassRose.

Bob's video Without Bounds was my first clue that this site existed and I joined in then and there.

compassrose
I'd like to add my voice to say please stick around .

I also read your posts and also enjoyed the photos of your bus build. You have contributed so much to the communal knowledge here as we all do and I'm sure you can continue to do so in the future!

I value your experience and consider you a friend as I also feel about so many others here too. You would be very much missed by the tribe as a whole.