What Bank to Choose

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bank of America started in San Francisco as Bank of Italy. The only bank to survive the earth quake and open within days.

I'll give another vote to Ally Bank. We just getting started with them but it seems on the up and up. Completely free interest checking account with no strings, not even doing direct deposit. They have no ATM fees and refund all other bank ATM fees at the end of the month/statement.

You will need to be able to receive a signature card and your debit card in the mail. If your thinking of Ally, just a note. They won't send a debit card until your account is funded, which took me three days. The debit cards arrived in less then two weeks.

I checked for ATM locations near me today using the Ally app, and it pointed me to a store just a few hundred feet away, again reminds me there is no fee. Ally doesn't have any of there own ATM's or branches, seems perfect for someone on the road.

We also have a US Bank account but have to maintain a credit card with them to get free checking with no interest.

I don't go for anything that has a fee.

I have a PalPal and Google Wallet but these of course are not FDIC and consider them more risky, as I would with Blue at WalMart.

I too agree about having two accounts in case one is frozen or has a problem. The saying don't put all your eggs in one basket comes to mind.

I avoid BoA fees using direct deposit of my SS check. there are many other fee traps to be aware as well.

I use Bank of America too, direct deposit and also deposit checks with a photo. No fees to maintain a checking account or a saving account. Auto transfer maintains the free savings account. If I need cash, I go to a grocery store or Walmart and use debit cash back ( meaning you buy something with your debit card and then use the cash back option ) Also BoA offers on occasion cash back deals, earning cash by using a particular store. Just last month I earned $11.50! They offer a Android app as well as online banking and bill pay. I use Google wallet on occasions as well as PayPal too. (but not very often)

Thanks for the tip on Ally, I just opened a checking & savings account there, very simple and all the access /features I need. Just waiting for the debit card and checks before I get rolling with it.

I really like my credit union. They only have a few branches but I have online access to it. And I can withdraw money from any 7-11 ATMs with no fees.

Me too. My credit union also participates in the shared branch program, which gives you many branches in many locations that you can walk in and use.