Wells-Cargo Roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit

Reaction score
Hello!
I recently bought a 2012 Wells-Cargo 8.5x19 Toy Hauler, which is essentially a cargo trailer of that same size equipped with a wet bath, sink, fridge, and minimal sleeping facilities. I had a soft-start installed by an RV-repair place on the roof air, and asked their technician while he was up there anyway to take a look around and see what kind of condition the roof is in. (I have health issues that prevent me from going up there myself.) He said that the caulking was shrunken and needed to be replaced, to the tune of about a thousand dollars. 

This isn't my first cargo conversion project. My other is a 2006 Pace American that's still never spent a single night under a roof and doesn't leak a drop, while this significantly newer premium-brand Wells-Cargo has spent at least several years out of the weather in a barn (and also shows no internal signs of leakage). So I was very surprised to hear of potential problems, and to be frank am highly suspicious that someone is trying to rip me off for an unnecessary and overpriced repair.

I plan to install a large solar power array on top of this trailer eventually, and if there are indeed any roof problems it'd probably be best if they were dealt with before these panels are installed. But... This is essentially a cargo trailer, and one of the reasons I chose it was that many people affiliated with this forum say that cargo-trailer roofs require no maintenance and rarely leak. Is re-caulking a cargo roof an actual thing that sometimes needs to be done, and somehow I just didn't get the word? Is about a thousand dollars actually a legitimate price for such work on an 8.5x19 with roof air and a single bathroom vent fan?

I'm absolutely going to get at least one second opinion prior to having this work done, but I'd like very much to hear from the CRVL experts before I do even that much. This whole thing just doesn't smell right to me. My personal inclination is to never go back to this place again and do nothing whatsoever about caulking until I get an actual leak, on the grounds that, as with other cargo trailers, it'll probably never happen.

Thanks!

Caulking is a DIY job. Just watch some youtube videos on it and practice laying out beads of caulking on some scrap material. I would not even consider hiring someone to do that job unless I had a major physical issue that meant I should not go up a ladder. A 2012 is unlikely to be leaking unless there was some damage to the roof. As to the AC unit and the vent fan they would have been installed using butyl rubber tape which is a lifetime product. Then the mounting screws would have been coated over with a self leveling sealant.

But if it does not leak don't worry about it and don't do anything to it because it should be fine for many more years. Wells Cargo is a good brand.

Oh as to those roof seams, when the factory installed the metal on the roof they put sealant in all the joins. No need to do caulking to them. That sealant they put on is not exposed to UV damage because it is between the pieces.

cargo trailers are not immune from leaking, remember Gypsy Dogs and the nightmare she had with her brand new cargo trailer.

caulking gets old and needs to be redone, how often depends on what type was used and the quality.

get someone you trust up there to assess it.

highdesertranger

But in this case it is NOT a brand new trailer, it is a 2012. If it is not leaking then it has already been proven to have been done right at the factory.

But never a bad idea to have a vehicle inspected before purchase as well as doing a once a year overall inspection to see what might need addressing.

But $1,000 dollars for caulking is outright highway trailer robbery for labor and materials.

Thank you both very much for sharing your knowledge. It's much appreciated.

I'd definitely get a second opinion!

And maybe even a third - particularly from someone who has no ponies in the race!

I've got a Wells Cargo trailer that is now over 20 years old. It has never been stored indoors and has been exposed to northern winters repeatedly.

NO roof leaks.

The only places where your roof might be needing attention is the seals around the roof air unit and the vent. Typically they are installed with butyl tape that only  has  a 10 year life.

But R&Rng both units certainly is not a $1000. job, more more like a couple of hundred if done by an overpriced RV shop.

Almost There said:
I've got a Wells Cargo trailer that is now over 20 years old. It has never been stored indoors and has been exposed to northern winters repeatedly.

Thank you as well!

I bought my Wells Cargo trailer a couple months ago and it hasn't rained here since my purchase. Zero leaks.

It's a one-piece roof, but still uses sealant (self-leveling diclor, I presume?) along the periphery.  

Z5RDG11.jpg

Zork said:
I bought my Wells Cargo trailer a couple months ago and it hasn't rained here since my purchase.  Zero leaks.

Thanks, and I hope you have great luck with it!

Zork said:
I bought my Wells Cargo trailer a couple months ago and it hasn't rained here since my purchase.  Zero leaks.

Uh...how 'bout when it rains? :dodgy:

I just went through something rather similar myself.

I bought a 2006 cargo trailer for the same purpose. I got it for a screaming good price because somehow the vent had gotten damaged and there was essentially nothing up there but a 13x13 hole open to the elements. But this is Arizona, so while still not a great thing for this to sit like that for a few years, upon inspection, the floors and nearly everything else is just fine with the exception of the thin luan 1/8th inch ceiling panels, which I could see would have to be ripped out and replaced.

I'm too fat and disabled to be crawling around up on that roof or I would have installed the new MaxxFan myself. But at 350 lbs., if I didn't damage the roof or fall in, if I slipped off, I'd definitely break something. So I decided stick to the interior conversion myself, but pay someone else to do the roof stuff. But all the local RV repair centers around charge ridiculous rates, so I looked for independent mobile RV repair guys on Craigslist, who tend to charge much less because they don't have the overhead of having a huge shop.

I could get up on a ladder and observe across the roof surface that the lap sealant on all the capscrews and seams was very weathered and peeling away in many locations and would need new lap sealant, so I added this to my list for my guy I would hire.

To make a long story short, I ended up getting a bit of a con man who tried to milk me.

When he showed up to do the work, he was friendly and courteous enough. But as he observed me and my physical condition and realizing there was likely no way I was going to get up on the roof and check his work because I couldn't (that's why I hired someone else after all), he seems to have decided to try the old "well, its a lot harder to fix than we thought" routine. He claimed that my MaxxFan was too large for the hole in my trailer and that it needed to be cut to fit and modified,...which would take more time and labor, and more tools than he had brought with him that day. He said it was gonna take another $150 to make it work and we could schedule it a few days out.

I was immediately suspicious. While I'm new to the RV world, I have done quite a bit of research on youtube and elsewhere on the internet. I knew that all the manufacturers I was aware of had standardized on the 13x13 inch pattern for vents and fans for decades. It just seemed incredibly odd and unlikely that I had bought the one manufacturer in America doing something different!?

I decided to take my trailer over to STATE TRAILER and have a second opinion. They said the guy was obviously trying to play me, and they went ahead and installed it for me that day at a reasonable price.

I hate to say it, but in the mobile RV repair biz, I think these guys see a lot of over 55 folks who like me will never get up on their roof to see with their own eyes what's going on and will just hand over money and be thankful the fit young man was able to get up there and deal with it. It can be tempting to try to milk a bit more money out of trusting folks, so I think this sort of thing might be more common than many realize.

The point of the story here is,...buyer beware. And perhaps paying a bit more for a reliable reputation is worth it after all.

Pleasant Travels said:
I just went through something rather similar myself.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of situation I'm afraid of. And sadly, I have no local knowledge of who I can and cannot trust. It's not leaking now, and the panels aren't going on for several months at the soonest. So for the moment, after the good advice I got here, my plan is to just sort of drift along and hope someone mentions a good RV repair place to me.

Thanks!

tonyandkaren said:
Where are you? Maybe one of us is close and can stop by to take a look at your roof.

Central Florida?

Rabbit

I lived in Central Florida for 40 years...……….We're out in the DesertSW now but will be returning to Florida in March

I help people build their rigs on-the-road...………..sending a PM phone #