We want a fifth wheel: how do we choose a truck (etc)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the warm welcome yesterday! You all sound like a fun group. Sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but we are trying to be as educated as possible.

Jim and I are doing our research and looking to purchase a brand new fifth wheel (5er you call it?) to live in full time. We plan to travel all over the country and stay in one spot for 3 months or so before moving on.

When we narrowed our search down to 35-39 foot 5ers (dry weight 11,000-12,500) I mentioned to Jim ‘well, we will need a big truck’. Whoa… I couldn’t have made him happier unless I said “honey you need to buy a big honkin’ motorcycle”!! :D
But here’s the thing, neither of us are motor heads and my dad (who was) is passed away. Jim isn't very mechanical minded and doesn't fix things - except computers.

We have some ideas; we want a Ford or Chevy, F250 or F350 (or similar) and turbo diesel. I’m a novice here and will need some basic explanations, please(!). We also aren’t set in stone on any one thing, but keep in mind we will need to drive the truck when we go to town, and Jim might need to drive it to work, in the places we visit, for 2-3 months at a time.

We've asked around, but sometimes the sales people contradict themselves on what size truck we need, what options, etc. Now not counting the hitch/kingpin setup to haul our home, and realizing that everyone has a different opinion, can a few of you give me some guidance on the minimum truck we need to haul our RV?

We are looking for a used truck, with extended cab at least, 4 door preferred. How many miles are too many? Do we have to do the 8ft bed or can we do 6ft? Do we have to have 4 wheel drive? Is a F350/3500 the same as ¾ ton truck? I heard we need a special rear end and other stuff, but what is it?
Thats lots of questions but thank you so much

you are going to need a 350 to 450 to pull a trailer of that size....normally you would find the trailer you want find its total max & cargo weight....then find a truck with a GVCW that matches....

if you buy the truck first you will only be able to select a 5ver that will work not one that you want.......there is a formula for it not a specific truck

oh...

so the advice we got about buying the truck first (from an RV salesman)
was wrong...

Do we have to have duely? I hate the look of those things...

An F350 is a 1-ton and probably the minimum you'd want. The salesman just needs to sell a truck today! They will tell you ANYTHING to make a sale. Oh wait...yes the RV dude is right to buy a truck first as you'll need one to pull his RV off his lot:)

Duallie's are more stable for pulling 5vers but not totally needed ......

If you are talking 12,000 dry, then wet and loaded you are 14,000 or more.then you are probably looking at a 3500, diesel, 4:10 axle, dually or a medium duty. I'm not saying for sure but you are in the max category.

I always figure they can say that X truck will pull X amount of weight, BUT DO YOU WANT TO.

You want to size the truck above what you need so its not hammered all the time. If you have a truck that is rated to pull 12,000 pounds I don't think I would want a trailer over 9,500 or 10,000 pounds.

You need to do a lot of research and thoroughly look at all your options as its a very big investment.

I would be hesitant on the used truck part. Myself, I would consider a used 5er and a new truck. RV depreciate very quickly. When you are shopping for a rig that size you may have less buyers so lower prices. The medium more common stuff with more buyers has higher prices.

Dont walk into an RV show and fall in love. You would be amazed at how steeply RV's are discounted at times. Buy when there are "Dontwanters" selling. If you do buy used I can not emphasize enough how important it is to know what you are getting. I mentioned water damage before. I guy I worked with says one day hey I bought a trailer. Oh, cool. Come over and check it out sometime. OK I go over and its an absolute $5,000piece of crap that you would almost fall through the floor. It didn't look bad outside or in but had major water damage. You cant fix it. Its total trash and it was heartbreaking. I rattle on about it all the time because people will screw you in a heartbeat. A lot of people have no conscience.

Take your time and find the people who have called it quits or they have health issues or one of them has died and the dream is over. Try to find one that's been in a pole barn all its life, not lived in with a porch and stuff built around it. You buy a dirt bike from a guy in the city because hes the guy that could only ride on the weekends and he had to haul it far just to ride. You don't buy from the guy that lives next to the gravel pit and hammered the poor thing every day after work.

You have a big job on your hands, but a fun job. Slow and easy, slow and easy, no emotions, just brains.

From personal experience with several RV's...

If you buy the truck first, the RV salesman will tell you it will pull whatever trailer you are looking to purchase.

If you buy the trailer first, the truck salesman will tell you whatever truck you are considering will pull your trailer.

Remember, those numbers are maximums! Don't max out your tow vehicle, unless you just want to pay for more repairs/wear and tear.

My E-150 (the van, not the hitch) is rated to haul 6,000#. What I did to the inside probably added only 300#. My trailer, loaded, is less than 4,000#. The van seems to be working fairly hard to tow it (with OD off).

My suggestion: power UP on the tow vehicle. Get more than you think you need. I have never regretted having too much power. I have regretted not having enough.

Hello Melissa, and WELCOME to the forum!

I'm with DDC. I'd get a new truck and a used RV.

RV's are a dime a dozen...especially in the used market. Some folks have big dreams of doing all this traveling, but don't consider the costs. Once they do hit the road, they get scared by driving such a big truck and pulling a big trailer around, and often end up selling 'em off for pennies on the dollar. RV's lose value very quickly once off the lot.

But because of this, you can find some really good deals on some really nice used rigs that have had very little use.

If you're gonna be sitting for any real lengths of time, then I'd also consider getting slide outs, as they increase the living space by a huge margin!

Since you're gonna be spending some real money on whatever you do buy, then I'd highly reccommend hiring a professional surveyor to throughly check out whatever rig you're considering. Have him let you tag along during his inspection so can see & learn what he's looking for/at. It'll cost you acouple hundred to hire him, but that'll be money well spent! He'd also be a very good candidate to help you find the right towing vehicle to match your trailer.

I'm curious...have either of your ever driven a huge vehicle combination like this before??? It can be very intimidating to the uninitiated. YOU MUST DO THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!!!!

You've found your way to a great forum for full time vandwellers and RV'ers. There's alot of knowledge on here, and alotta good folks who are more then happy to lend you a hand, and help you make the right purchase. WELCOME! :D

Patrick from Oregon

Just going to throw some more ideas out there. If you buy a $50,000 5er and a 25,000 used truck and things dont work out you will probably be selling a $20,000 used truck and a $28,000 used 5er. If you buy a used $20,000 5er and a $50,000 new truck and you sell them, you will probably be selling a $15 to 17,000 used 5er and a $38 to $40,000 truck. Don't take this as any rule, its just my opinion. There are people that have far more experience with those rigs. If you have a used truck and it breaks, you are stuck. If you have a new truck and the 5er breaks you are still driving and you can probably still use the 5er.

If you are in a winter climate an RV will suck energy and have water/freezing issues sometimes.

The bigger the RV the less places it fits and the more it costs to park it and the more of a chore it is to haul it. Tires are pricey and need to be replaced somewhat often. Far more than your car. In general, the mechanical s of an RV were never intended to be used "Fulltime"

If I was shopping diesels, I would more strongly consider the Ram with a Cummings. I'm not up on them as far as the latest models and the def additives but Cummings has a good reputation. Other guys on here have owned them and know more than me.

Not to rain on your party but you need to look at the big picture as you are making a big purchase of depreciating items. RV's are very cheesy and depreciate quickly. It may help to make a flow chart of pros and cons and prices to be sure its the way to go. Include a lot of what if scenarios. Plan "B" type scenarios.

I.m not asking for numbers or financial info but we dont know how much money you have, its not our business. You will have to live with the payments if you have them. How burdened do you want to be with depreciating items. I said items because they are not investments.

I don't know how many new 5er you have looked at but you will be blown away when you walk in them and that's the problem. Its like going to the grocery store hungry.

After you look at new ones you will not like looking at used ones but the thing you want to be looking at with the used ones is how much it has depreciated. Its sometimes sickening.

Remember there are people living in vans, oops I mean class V, TT, C etc and they are not fancy or new BUT BUT BUT they are LIVING FREE. They have freed themselves from the system and the MAN. Only you two can decide.

If you could go with a 30 foot or so TT you could do it for $8,000 to $15,00 or so and use a 3/4 ton single wheel, gaser. Sorry I say so much, just trying to help.

This is bottom shopping at PPL:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/5thwheel/2003-Cedar-Creek-By-Forest-River-25380.htm

The above posts all give very good info! Read them closely, thoroughly, out loud three times!

I would strongly suggest you have a sit down talk with an experienced RVer. Take someone with you who has done this in different ways. Donedirtcheap is right--do not fall in love!

I'm excited for you! But go slowly. There's no rush.

I was a buyer for serveral Rv outlets including my own. I have lived in everything from a tent, van and various types of RVs. I currently live in a 30 5th whl. You do not have to buy new anything, have the truck checked by an independent mechanic. The same with a used RV, have it checked by an independent. You will probably not find a new 5th whl without slides. You can go with a much smaller rig because of the slides. The biggest issue with these really large trailers is not whether the rig will pull it, but will it stop it? Between the truck itself and the fully loaded trailer you will be pushing 17000 to 18000 lbs. down the road. Even with the electric trailer brakes that amount of weight takes a while to stop. Go to an RV park where you live and walk through in the late afternoon when folks are sitting outside and ask questions of people with trucks and trailers like you are interested in. rvnet.com has multiple threads where these questions are asked and answered. Take your time and don't fall in love with anything, try to be practical. Good luck!

Have you considered buying a motorhome, and towing a small car behind it??

I offer this idea because since you're talking about parking for several months at a time, then this gives you a.) a small car that's good on gas and cheap & easy to drive when you're sitting stationery for a spell, and b.) a rig that has the power it needs ONLY during those times when you're going to be traveling.

Why pay for the extra fuel a big diesel pick-up will use when you're sitting in one location for 3 or 4 months at a time, and not towing anything.

What do you drive now? Can it be easily towed? Once you get to where you're going, do you want to be driving a big pick-up truck just to go grocery shopping or sight seeing? And then you've still gotta park it in small lots.

One other thing I like about motorhomes, is you can get up and move around, make a sandwich, or use the potty, while the other person drives.

just thinking out loud.

If you are serious about a 39 foot 5er, you want all the truck you can get!! If you go out west and try to pull that much trailer up our hills, you will very much wish you had a diesel.

Do NOT buy a single rear axle! Chances are very good your rear tires will be overloaded and you don't want that.

Fords usually have the highest GVWRs, especially with a F450 or F550. But Dodge has by far the best engine with the Cummins. If you don't want a diesel, I think I would get a Ford V10. Although the Chevy 8.1 is a great engine, maybe better! I'm not a fan of Ford diesels except the old 7.3. That's a good engine just not as good as the Cummins.

If it were me I would be looking for a used Dodge dually 1 ton with a Cummins. Get it with the highest GVWR you can find. I think now they are making a 4500 or 5500, but I don't know.

Or a used Ford F450 or F550 with a 7.3 diesel.

Bear in mind a lot of this is just personal prejudice. Although I think love for the Cummins is nearly universal.
Bob

my 2 cents. you need a 1 ton minimum. dually's handle the weight and are much more stabile while towing. diesel is the way to go. like others have said don't listen to the salesperson for the rv or the truck. they just want to make a sale, they will tell you anything to make that sale. I it were me I would go with a goose neck instead of a 5er. when your not towing you will have the whole bed no big old hitch. a far as the trucks go they all have there pluses and minus. if you buy new you should be good for 10 years minimum. while I agree the cummins is the best motor bottom line is it's a dodge. a buddy of mine works for Caltrans they have trucks from the big three. he says that after about 10 years the cummins runs great but the trucks are falling apart around the motor. as far as a 4 wheel drive you only need if going off road or driving on snow or ice. all three not really a good idea with a trailer that size. remember all this is just my opinion your mileage may vary. highdesertranger

Latest posts