Wave 3 or wave 6?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtGeezer

Reaction score
I have moved out of my mini van and into a 1978 Bell Travel Trailer. It's parked at the shop I work at and I have shore power through a 100' extension cord. The hydro flame furnace is toast and I am replacing it with a wave. It can get -20 here. Would a wave 3 be enough or a 6 too much.

SgtGeezer said:
I have moved out of my mini van and into a 1978 Bell Travel Trailer. It's parked at the shop I work at and I have shore power through a 100' extension cord. The hydro flame furnace is toast and I am replacing it with a wave. It can get -20 here. Would a wave 3 be enough or a 6 too much.

Someone will be able to give you an answer if you tell us the size of the trailer.

Oops, my bad. It's a 19' trailer, so it would be in the 16' cabin neighborhood.

My Tiger interior is probably about the same size as your trailer and I use a Wave 6. There are times when it gets too hot on low and I have to open more windows just to keep it comfortable but you're better off having too much than too little heat in cold weather.

mockturtle said:
My Tiger interior is probably about the same size as your trailer and I use a Wave 6.  There are times when it gets too hot on low and I have to open more windows just to keep it comfortable but you're better off having too much than too little heat in cold weather.

That's was my thought too. What out side temp warrants the heater on high?
As a side note, Walmart sells an extended service plan, three years at $34.
With as much wind and dust as this part of montana has, can't beat Walmart's price of $268.
The local RV dealership want $410 for it.

Wow, I didn't even know Walmart carried Olympian catalytic heaters! I ordered mine from Amazon at $300 plus several years ago.

I try to avoid places with really cold temperatures by going south in winter. As cold as I've experienced was about 18 degrees. I've never had to run my Wave 6 on high except for the required initial ten minutes. Usually on low and occasionally on medium.

Remember that there is no circulation of the heat so you have to point it where you actually want the heat. Mine is portable and on legs so I can move it around and usually set it on the counter or pull-out cutting board to keep it up away from the dog and to prevent any bedding from getting on it in the night.

The extended warranty in this case sounds like a good idea. Make sure you get a cover for it--don't depend on a plastic bag or other home-made substitute. I also travel and camp in a lot of very dusty areas and the Olympian cover does a great job of keeping dust out.

You don't say Fahrenheit or Celsius, but I am assuming Fahrenheit. You also don't say if you added extra insulation, but I'm assuming you did not. Most trailers that old are poorly insulated and heat will pour out of all the windows and openings, which there are many.

Having lived for six years in a box van with -30 temperatures routine, I have bad news. You'll need both.

At normal winter temperatures the Wave 3 was perfect by itself down to the teens on high. In the teens to around zero or a little below the Wave 6 on high is good. By -20, you need them both on high. That kind of cold is a living thing and you have to pull out the big guns.

My box van was 8x12 and I had 2 inches of styrofoam on all the walls and 4 inches on the roof. So it was smaller and I'm sure better insulated than your trailer. That's what I had to do so my guess is you will need at least that much heat.
Bob

x2 on both Bob and MockTurtle. first Bob statement about poorly insulated older trailer is very true. especially if you have those louvered windows. whose idea was it to put those on some trailers? MockTurtle said to get a cover and use it, that is a must in dusty environments, whenever the heater is not in use cover it. you must also remember that MockTurtle has a state of the art modern motor home. there are no drafts(air leakage) in hers, I bet your trailer is draft city. highdesertranger

Air sieve is what I'd call it. It will never move, so I will skirt it. Thanks for the heads up on having to use both. I have wintered in a trailer in montana and only had the hydro flame heater in it. It was uncomfortable to say the least. If it gets too cold I always have the option of the two hour commute back to my house.

If your not on the move and will continue to be connected to an AC outlet, have you considered an oil filled radiator type of heater?

LoupGarou said:
If your not on the move and will continue to be connected to an AC outlet, have you considered an oil filled radiator type of heater?

The oil filled electric heaters are rated at about 1800 btus.  The Wave 3 is rated at 1600 to 3000 btus.  An oil filled electric heater would be totally inadequate at sub-zero temperatures.

Regards
John

highdesertranger said:
x2 on both Bob and MockTurtle.  first Bob statement about poorly insulated older trailer is very true.  especially if you have those louvered windows.  whose idea was it to put those on some trailers?  MockTurtle said to get a cover and use it,  that is a must in dusty environments,  whenever the heater is not in use cover it.  you must also remember that MockTurtle has a state of the art modern motor home.   there are no drafts(air leakage)  in hers,  I bet your trailer is draft city.  highdesertranger

Not to hijack the thread, but my VW Westfalia had louvered windows on the side and they were the greatest windows I've ever had in a camper.   Built in screens, 100% airflow, and mine sealed very well in the wind and cold.

I'd love to have those windows in my Dodge van.

I stayed very warm in my box van because of all the insulation and the two Olympians. After 6 years my son wanted to live with me so I bought an old 24 foot travel trailer in and put it in an RV Park for a year.

I COULD NOT KEEP IT WARM!!!!! miserable experience I would never do again!

The only thing that got us through it was 500 watt heat lamps aimed at our feet. Our feet were always toasty warm and the heat rose and got the rest of us as well. That made it bearable. We gave up trying to keep the trailer warm and just kept our bodies warm

That's my recommendation to you if you have shore power.
Bob

If you have shore power, then the Waves are not the best choice for heat. You want something that will actually circulate the heat like a propane furnace. The reason I use the Wave 6 is that I seldom have hookups and it uses no battery at all. And I like the silence, too!

everyone please don't heat anything made of concrete up with a flame. highdesertranger

I think I had the Wave 8 in Alaska, it's been 14 years ago so I don't remember. I just know I had the big one and little one and since I got them at an RV store in Alaska it was probably the Wave 8.
Bob