WATER PUMP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnFear

Reaction score
Hi can anyone recommend a good pump for transferring water from a portable container into the gravity feed fresh water opening in my Rv?
Hand pump would be ok but I prefer a 12v pump. Thanks.

I use a Harbor Freight that takes a regular hose. Works great. In fact I bought another as a backup. It was $40 on sale.

Thanks, I want to use the pump for potable water. I don't drink it but I do wash and brush my teeth with it so I don't think that pump will be best for what I want to do.
I'm hoping someone knows of a pump that I could attach say 1/4" tubing to both the intake and discharge.

What's wrong with a regular RV water pump? They are made for potable water and can be had in most metropolitan areas or online and last. The fittings can be adapted to whatever hose/pipe you want to use. Mount it just inside the door, drop a hose into the tank you're filling from and attach/insert into what you are filling.

Thanks, I just looked into that and there less expensive than I thought. Problem though is there not meant to move a lot of water (low GPM).
What I'm trying to do is add water to my Roadtrek fresh water tank to extend my boondocking time. I already have a plastic water "jerry can". It's bungeed to the wall in my trailer. Too heavy to pull out and lift to pour it into my gravity fill which would mean holding a funnel with my third arm ;) I can just fill 1 gallon containers and pour it in that way but maybe someone here has found an easier way

I use a water bandit with potable water hose on the spout of the 7 gallon blue container laid on the passenger seat. My fill is just inside the side door. Lay the blue tank down, put hose in gravity fill (4 ft hose in my case) and attach water bandit to spout. I tilt the blue water container down a bit to keep any dribbles from running onto the passenger seat. Open valve while holding bandit on the spout. Works wonders and I have been able to extend my trip a couple of days longer. I carry my spare water right behind the driver's seat. Don't have to move it far.

The RV water pumps may be low GPM but you have the time :)

Is there a reason to NOT use 5 gallon (or even 7) to haul water to your rig?  

Then you get a transfer pump , put one end of a hose in the jug, and the other end into your fresh water input on your rig?  

My friend does this all the time.  He has a 5th-wheel trailer that he does this with every week or so.  He uses a large truck size recharger to power the pump.  

transfer pump

most RV water pumps are in the 2.8 to 6 gallons per minute. that would empty a 5 gallon jug in 1 to 2 minutes. that's not fast enough? your hose size is going to have an effect on the flow rate 1/4 inch will cut it way down better to use 1/2 inch. highdesertranger

My water inlet is in the rear door frame. I don't remember how large my water container is but it's larger then 5 gallons. Pretty heavy when full.
The problem with low GPM would be the power to run the pump. I have enough but I always look to minimize my usage.
I'll just transfer water from the large container to a 1 gallon container and pour it in with a funnel.

I haven't actually done it yet, but I have plans for possibly adding some T's, valves and extra tubing that will enable the existing RV pump to suck from a portable water container and fill the tank. Fortunately all my plumbing is right under the bed and accessed just by tilting the bed up to switch the valves. Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts