Water filtration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJCooper

Reaction score
This may not have to do with food, but it does go along with my feeling of survival of food, water and shelter.&nbsp; <br><br>What do you use for a filter system?<br><br>I will explain mine system after we see some other cool ways or methods.&nbsp; <br><br>

Passive or pressure filter? I always boil. charcoal, Using a seagull boat stainless steel / I have a survival straw slow but small and effective for hiking. Stay healthy to fight off any other results. Only places I have been water sick has been Africa and Mexico. Both my fault the locals can fight it.

Boil and bleach has always been a good idea.&nbsp; I agree with the stay healthy idea.&nbsp; I have only been to Canada and Mexico, but the only water sick I have been is in Georgia..........USA. LOL&nbsp; <br><br>I have a real good system for campers, hikers and RV'ers.&nbsp; It's cheap, very high capacity and v

WOW. This computer is thinking ahead for me.&nbsp; The last work was Versatile.

Heat up water to 150 degrees and that will kill any bugs, There is some wax that melts at that temp.&nbsp; Chemicals? Let sit for 24 hrs and skim top and leave bottom. Works well for muddy water. Some rivers are not fit to drink no matter what you do. <br><br>StoveTec will boil a gallon of water in 25 min's with just a few small branches. It will last a long time if kept out of the rain. Wood will totally burn out. Is a rocket stove design so no smoke after getting how enough and a fire inside.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I'm glad James mentioned using a rocket stove type heater to boil water.&nbsp; You can actually make one out of tin cans.&nbsp; Its on YouTube.&nbsp;<a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a> Boiling is always best.&nbsp; For those who&nbsp;can't boil, you can make your own&nbsp;Berkley water filter system by just purchasing the filters and a few little plumbing fixtures and using 5 gallon buckets or bucket size of your choice.&nbsp; That is also on&nbsp;YouTube.&nbsp;<a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"></a> If I could, I'd boil and filter...your water will taste better and the&nbsp;most of the unwanted chemicals will be trapped in the filter.&nbsp; <br><br>Great subject!

Please note the problem with the filters is they will clog and if not cleaned will contain bad stuff on both ends. So they can fail. Please let the water sit until clear. <br><br>A note on the Rocket stove - The StoveTec is designed by the person who designed the rocket stove. It is made to last and will fit into a 5 gal bucket. The additional pot works really well. The tin can design looks great but will not last as long and has no place to put the pot on top.<br><br>Best. James AKA Lynx

I agree James.&nbsp; The metal in a tin can may be as thick as some other stoves, but it is not the same kind of metal that stoves are made with.&nbsp; Good for a disposable I guess.&nbsp; <br><br>As for the bucket and letting things settle is very good advice.&nbsp; Years ago, I took some classes on "Green" building.&nbsp;One part&nbsp;of the class really stuck in my mind as an outdoorsman and hiker/camper.&nbsp; When we were doing site tests for clay to make a cob home, we would take a mason jar, fill it half full with the soil from the area.&nbsp; Then we would fill it the rest of the way with water and a splash of dish soap.&nbsp; We would shake it to mix it up.&nbsp; The reason was to find the amount of clay&nbsp;in the soil.&nbsp; The soap would make the strata of the soil separate in the jar and it would look like a sand art glass.&nbsp; The instructor said that the clay particles, most white clay could take years to settle in that one little jar.&nbsp; <br><br>Years ago when on a mixed trapping/hunting trip, me a two other guys had a three bucket system for filtering large amounts of water we thought we would need.&nbsp; We took the first bucket and dunked it into the water system.&nbsp; The second bucket had cheesecloth over the top and we poured from the first into the second.&nbsp; The cheesecloth was put into a peanut butter container of a bleach and water mix to sterilize.&nbsp; After the second bucket was filled, we pour the water into the third bucket.&nbsp; The third bucket had a DIY spigot about 6 inches from the bottom.&nbsp; We would let the third bucket settle all day while we were out doing our thing.&nbsp; At night we would turn the spigot on and tap water from it.&nbsp; Boiling it to sterilize for food and drink.&nbsp; <br><br>The water was not Berkley tasty, so we often mixed it with teas, tang or if it was a long day bourbon.&nbsp; lol<br><br>

Heating water to 150 F will not kill pathogens, giardia, or cryptosporidium. The only guaranty, is to bring water to <span style="text-decoration: underline;">rolling boil</span> for one (1) minute. If altitude is above Denver, than three (3) minutes.

Shake the cooled boiled water to aerate, this will improve the taste.

Zil - that is what I was thinking. However it is promoted that 150 degree water is safe to drink. I am going to boil mine after it sits.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

Just as a Note: 150 degree will not kill all the bad stuff.&nbsp; Let your water come to a rolling boil for one minute.&nbsp; In high elevations, let it roll for three minutes.&nbsp;