Water filter Vs bottled

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what is the better, least expensive option for drinking water when dry-camping. I would plan on filtering tap water as opposed to stream, lake or river water. I'll use the water for cooking, coffee or tea and the occasional scotch reducer. I've used water pitcher filters from Pur, Brita and Zero water in my home. Google is not cooperating with side by side comparisons. The net folks tell me I'm suppose to care about color/taste and smell as a priority, I'm not. What I want is something close to a 1 micron filter that will get most of the crap out of the water. You know, the bad minerals and bacteria.

I'm using bottled water now. It's easy to buy, store and consume but I'm thinking I should put my two 5 Gal water containers to a dual use and not just use them for washing. What's everyone using?

Some risk in this but....

Once upon a time, I built a filter system that packed into a 5 gallon bucket. It was set up to be used with a pressurized water system (ie: standard threaded water pipe stand or hose bibb) It was for potable (drinking) water. It consisted of a sediment filter for deep wells that I picked up used in a flea market. Next was a Whole House cartridge filter housing (mine was a Whirlpool WHKF-DWH from Lowes but several manufacturers make them and they all take the same cartridge). The sediment filter is never changed. You just unscrew the bottom cap or turn a valve if so supplied to back flush debris out (yes I have had debris from a city water system). The whole house filter gets a 10" cartridge depending on how safe the water is in the area. On my mom's NC well water, I used the cheapest filter (taste) because we were running water thru a regular garden hose for a long distance. In most other places, I run a 0.5 micron filter (look for the one that says it filters out cysts and says "Nominal Particle Reduction 0.5-1 micron Class 1). A filter is good for about 600 gallons of water. I go ahead and change it out every 6 months or so.

My filters were adapted to set inside the 5 gallon lidded bucket (I strongly suggest you get a gamma lid if you do this). I adapted the filters to accept a water hose quick connect on the in and out sides. I used a small hole saw to cut a round hole in the side of the bucket near the top so I could simply quick connect the hose to the filters while the filters stayed inside the bucket. Because the 0.5 micron filter knocked the water flow so low, I set the bus up to have the filtered water go directly into a large holding tank. But you could also have it go into a smaller container. If you are filling 1-5 gallon containers, I suggest you put a shut off on the end of the hose so you can change containers. When I would fill the onboard tanks of the Class C, I would haul my 5 gallon filter bucket out, connect a short hose to the filter bucket and the RV. Then I used my own hose to connect to the water supply to the filter bucket. I also had a layer of Reflectix lining the bucket and a loose cut-to-fit piece laying on top of the filters. I put a short length of pipe heat tape inside wrapped around the lower section of the filters and looped around the connections. That set up kept it from freezing in SW NC mountains and NE TN mountains.

This set up was originally made for a small Class C. It was adapted to work in the bus (no bucket - filters installed under the bathroom sink). SO that being said, you may or may not be able to adapt this to work in a van. Also you may or may not want to go this route. Just putting it out there to give ideas. So please no "It won't work for vandwellers" garbage. I really don't want to hear that bull shit.

I've always used a filter for drinking water. To me, the idea of bottled water--and all those plastic bottles going into the trash--is not only expensive but environmentally unsound. JMO, of course.

I vote filter, saves all those bottles. there are several out there get a well known brand and you should be fine. highdesertranger

Well, I'm learning that it's important to filter water on its way into your storage container and then again as your pouring yourself a drink.

Brian, The Sawyer 0.02 Micron Absolute Purifier SP191 bucket kit looks promising. I'm liking this one as a second filter. Removes 99.997% of viruses, 99.99999% of bacteria, and 99.9999% of Protozoa/Cysts.

compassrose, Reading your reply jogged my memory, I have a 12V water pump that I could use to fill and/or back-flush a tank. Do you have any experience using the deep well sediment filter you mention for the initial filter when pulling water from a stream?  It may be worth my while to hang a 10-20 gal tank as a main, off the side of my frame. If I do that then I can think about a shower.

mockturtle, highdesertstranger, I agree, my preference is to eliminate the plastic. I'm reading a lot about the downside of assumed "safe" bottled water. I keep forgetting that there is no such thing as truth in advertising anymore.

I have 3 five gallon plastic Jerry's for my own Van.  Of course I can fill them at home before taking off, but once the water is used and the jugs need to be refilled the sources along the way may be questionable. 

Those 0.5 micron filters that compasrose speaks of are what I use in my own home and I get them at Rural King for a dollar each. 

I found a home filter canister in a yard sale that they were disposing of as they had installed a water softener.  Got if for a couple of dollars.   I've also found a Pur faucet end filter that I'm wanting to use as a second stage.

water-filters.png

Faucet end water filter Charcoal

753000.jpg

10 ft piece of Marine hose.

I figure on using the hose connected  to the canister 0.5 micron filter from the hose bib (somewhere).
The filter will be connected to the Pur faucet end filter (as a second stage)  via  a piece of hose with the proper adapters at each end.

spin_prod_1159232112

At the hose bib I'd be using I'd use an inexpensive "ball" shut off valve.

30163.jpg

It is important to follow the directions when using a new charcoal filter in the Pur filter as the water has to be turned on and the filter become wet.  They suggest allowing water to run through it slowly for 15 minutes
to thoroughly activate the filter cartridge and flush it out before drinking water from it.

But I figure this kit (the two filters joined by the adapter hose) could be stored in a 2 gallon zip lock bag and that in a small plastic bin large enough to hold it.   The Marine hose and ball valve could stow elsewhere.

What I figured on doing was stopping by various Gas Stations when I need fuel and ask the attendant if I could purchase a few gallons of water from him. (usually they will just tell you to get what you need so long
as you aren't filling a 50 gallon tank)  But with this kit I figure I could get reasonably safe water that would
not have an objectionable taste or smell.   And the whole set up cost less than $20 bucks.

There are plenty of building material liquidation and resale shops around these days.  If I were to find one of those tall faucets "goose neck" that was used for cheap,  I could cut it about three inches back from the end the charcoal filter would install and fit this into the end of the adapter hose and secure it with aircraft clamps.
The other end of the hose that fits into the output side of the 0.5 micron filter could be purchased new
and secured  to that end with an aircraft clamp as well.  (this would be a cheap and dirty solution but would
no doubt be cheaper than going to a specialty hose shop and paying to have it made).

Again, I'm not filling big tanks but this would serve my needs for small scale needs where I'm not staying for extended periods.

eDJ... thx for the informative post. Have it bookmarked for future use.

One thing my wife and I use is a "Gravity Filter" to pre-filter river water before filling our 5 gallon jugs in the van. We will then do a double filter whammy and put that water through our 1 gallon Berkey water filter before drinking/cooking.

So.....

We have this outside the van...

Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10L gravity filter (link at REI)

On one of these stands...

Coleman Lantern Stand (link at amazon)

then after it goes into one of several 5 gallon plastic drinking-water-only containers...

We filter it again before drinking or cooking just cuz we've been using the Berkey Water filter system for years at home and like what it does.
We have the additional Fluoride filters too.

Berkey Water Filter (link at Berkey site)

we have at home and then bring it with on the road.

So that is our current set up. I know we will most likely be including something along the lines of what eDJ has included in his setup too as we come into areas away from town and find ourselves getting water from public sources in addition to wild sources.

Thom

I use a Doulton ceramic gravity filter in a 3 gal bucket for any water other than bottled. I also carry a Sawyer straw in my pack.

For drinking, I buy bottled in gallons or larger.

If I fill my tank or 5 gal jugs at a municipal water source- I only use it for washing as I dislike drinking chlorine and whatever else is used to "purify" it.

There have been studies on the quality of bottled water, it's scary. I have returned 5 gal bottles that have smelt and tasted like dirt.

I've decided a good filter system will be needed on the road for all of the water we take on. We can easily catch 20 gals in a storm here and on the road, who knows what is coming out of the pipes. The City of Flint, Mi. did something stupid and caused the lead to leach out of their pipes, not even sure you can filter that out.

anything mass produced is subject to problems every once in a while. this applies to everything food, water, cars, etc, etc. highdesertranger

I reused my gallon "drinking water" square jugs for months last year by carting them into a grocery store and using the store's purified water dispenser at a quarter for a gallon. That way I got what I hoped was clean water but without wasting a lot of plastic. (I'd simply grab a shopping cart in the parking lot and load it up with my empties.)

If I had ice in the cooler, I'd save the melt water for bathing to stretch my supply (some jugs were labeled "wash water" to prevent me from picking up the less sanitary water to drink.

I also keep aquamira drops in my fanny pack as an emergency item if I should have to use an outdoors water source.

IMO (so no harsh feelings, please!), bottled water is mostly a scam that creates garbage and uses resources.
Nothing wrong with activated carbon or RO membranes. Generally. Except most people I know keep the filters way too long or go away for 2 weeks and leave the system to stagnate. Then they keep using it after it has bio-growth. Usually not harmful but pretty pointless.

But please, don't use just a pitcher for river water. Better be safe than sorry, and for "wild water" you'll need to use extra protection like tablets. Got sick once (ONCE IS ENOUGH) from campground water, and now I'm extremely careful when it comes to unknown sources.