Watch out for the EuroVan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a university student getting ready to join the Van Dwelling league. I am a history major, no laughs please, and several of my professors told me I should go write that book I have been planning on. I just found a mint condition 2000 VW EuroVan. I was initially going to go for a high top, but the ones I saw looked like death warmed over, and I am going to be a little grey haired female dwelling on my own, so I went for the safer, more road worthy deal. I have been reading your boards for some time now and once I finally became an owner something with four wheels (I just bought it on Thursday) I decided to join.
I am retired military and I have lived in some pretty small spaces, lacked privacy, got accustomed to meeting new people constantly, learned to network and endured the sleep destroying alarms signaling God knows what was aimed at us. I think I was made for this life. :angel:

Welcome to the group. I'm a white haired forced to retire engineer with a Bluebird Wanderlodge that needs a lot of work.

Good place to be a member of.

Welcome to the boards and thanks for your service! My dad was a lifer and so that makes me an Army brat, I suppose, lol, although I did a few years in the Reserves (back in the 70's, so certainly never called to active duty). So is yours fully equipped or are you planning on doing any mods or upgrades? And to beat Patrick to the punch, pics please, lol ;?D

LostInSpace,
In the early days of contemplating going on the road, I thought about buying a Winnebago, but decided the parking issue would be too much of a pain and cost too much. I am cheap and plan on staying that way.

Fearnoevil,
My daughter is an Army brat too, poor thing both her dad and I were in for 20 years +
I did not get one with the camper, although I would have loved to, but at the prices people are asking *faint* however, it was amazingly well cared for, runs like a charmer and is meticulously clean.
I do want to take the seats out and insulate the floor, hardwood with a moisture barrier at least, but I am not so sure about the walls and roof. I probably should but, I need to scope these forums for some how to's. My plan is to avoid all things winter, which means when I drive out of Chicago, I cannot endure another Polar Vortex, I am going to drop some things off in Nashville, and head on down to visit some friends who, thank heavens live at McDill AFB. In fact, I think I am going to test out my stealth on a base. I figure if it is a fail and the MPS find me, I can just use the excuse, I got tired and since the Army preaches about not driving drowsy *shrug shoulders* oops.
After, looking at a lot of van set ups, and considering I do not plan to take much and minus a battery, potty, and a stove, I do not plan on taking much more, I am going to throw caution to the wind and build a bed a little storage and not much else. I went to AFG twice, and live in a air tent once, and what amounted to a semi-trailer with 5 other gals. I am fortunately vertically challenged, and I am a runner so, I fit in small spaces. Just waiting to finish school the weekend of Thanksgiving and I am on my way. :)