• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Experienced person to work WITH ME to re-install fuel system (San Jose, CA)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Summer is slipping away and I intend to get on the road by 7-19-2014. I do not desire to re-install the fuel system myself for common sense reasons. I am looking for an experienced person to work WITH ME so I can learn how to do it myself if needed in the future.

The fuel system parts that need reinstalling are:
-Plastic gas tank
-Replace charcoal canister If Necessary for modern day gasoline.
-Carburater
-install patch for fuel line leading to carburator.
-related issues if they come up.

Experience Necessary, must have worked on same or similar vans and mechanical issues. The van is a 1986 DODGE B250 RAM.
I will barter for equal value or pay minimum wage by hour.

I am located in South San Jose and am open to weekdays, mornings, evenings and nights. Please PM me if you meet qualifications.

Luisafernandes said:
Minimum wage? That's very generous.

And sometimes more than the best of us can afford. In the land of money the honest man plays the fool.

Post an ad on Craiglist. Again minimum wage is unrealistic.

I am surprised a 1986 vehicle would have a plastic gas tank.

"Patch for fuel line" I don't quite understand this: it would seem to me that if the fuel line needs to be patched at one spot then the whole line is probably in bad shape and should be replaced.

Could someone mechanically minded comment on the things the OP has listed?

"Replace charcoal canister for modern day gasoline"? Not sure what op means. The charcoal canister is used to capture hydrocarbons from the fuel system. The carburetor has a fuel bowl, the bowl area is vented to atmosphere, when the engine is off fumes/hydrocarbons escape into the atmosphere causing smog. The charcoal canister captures these fumes and at the next engine run cycle gradually draws these hydrocarbons in and purges the canister for its next shut down cycle.
So, it is a smog device and helps the environment and if disabled will not increase fuel mileage.

The minimum wage offer is unrealistic to me but it may not be to someone else. Someone can do it for $2.00 an hour if they like. The problem is WHO is that person what are their abilities. Who will it most likely be, the top mechanic at the Dodge dealer or a crack head who knows someones sisters uncles buddy.

I should also say that the canister captures fumes from the whole system not just the carb.

It would seem that this van would have a throttle body? I'm not up on 1986 Dodge

The guy who can't find a steady job (naybe ex felon?) but knows how to do this might take min wage.

I have a guy who will do all my body work for 300 including materials, and there are whole sections rusted to nothing lol. So you might be surprised

Luisafernandes said:
Yes it is generous for the non-established. I intend to live this summer, I am putting legal wage money on the table to Get This Done!
Drifted_Cowboy said:
And sometimes more than the best of us can afford. In the land of money the honest man plays the fool.
I am an honest man and I've been played so many times, I can understand the quote. The government, DMV, public transit agencies, and the auto industry are conspiring to take non-established young people like on a ride to the urbanite house with nothing but a hipster bike, smartphone and a bus pass. I Aspire to be More.
PastTense said:
Post an ad on Craiglist. Again minimum wage is unrealistic.
I just looked on South SF Bay Craigslist, under automotive services. Not much for what I need. Plus I would spend more of my summertime calling and texting people who alot of the time talk and do not walk.
"Patch for fuel line" I don't quite understand this: it would seem to me that if the fuel line needs to be patched at one spot then the whole line is probably in bad shape and should be replaced.
Fuel line to carburator patch:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...process/2014-Jul-15 carburator fuel line path"></iframe>

The minimum wage offer is unrealistic to me but it may not be to someone else. Someone can do it for $2.00 an hour if they like. The problem is WHO is that person what are their abilities.
Wouldn't somebody who works on their own & friends cars, or specialized in DODGE vans and trucks without a job love the work though? In this economy, almost any gig is worth working. I am willing to pay my last dollars (FRN$) so I can be on the road THIS summer!

I should also say that the canister captures fumes from the whole system not just the carb.

Could I just remove the burst canister and go without it?

Can we please use this thread under Conversions & Modifications to discuss van mechanical issues instead of here?
Lets use this thread to discuss the topic at hand: Experienced person WANTED to work WITH ME on van fuel system re-installation.

Just some friendly advise: instead of offering minimum wage (an insult to those with the knowledge to really help you), why don't you ask for help. Maybe someone in here lives near you and would be willing to help, and you could tell him/her that you don't have a lot of money but are willing to pay a certain amount. You can get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Luisafernandes said:
Donedirtcheap said:
The minimum wage offer is unrealistic to me but it may not be to someone else.
Luisafernandes said:
Just some friendly advise: instead of offering minimum wage (an insult to those with the knowledge to really help you),

No one asked your opinion on what the OP should pay.

FYI: In California minimum wage is $10.00 an hour. If someone is being paid cash, for a job, not having taxes, etc. deducted almost doubles the wage.

Now, back to the subject at hand. If someone would like to help the OP, please PM.

well am in so cal if you where closer to me I would help you out. on a 1986 you must have a charcoal canister or you will not pass smog. don't mention the minimum wage thing, negotiate a price. the minimum wage in cali is 9 bucks a hour not 10. who took these parts off and for what reason? if you did then you should be able to reinstall them. what is that brass fitting at the end of the rubber hose? is this vehicle fuel injected? if it is then that's the wrong rubber hose. we can probably walk you through this job if need be. highdesertranger

I appreciate the correction, HDR. Thanks. I was looking at the Industrial minimum wage.

Have you ever identified which carb you have? That question has been asked several times and it would help to know what you are working with.

Let me say again: Join a DODGE forum for your questions or to maybe find someone who could help you!

People on this forum have all different kinds of vehicles and won't be as familiar with yours.

Suggestion: The slide shows are nifty and all but it' really better to just post static pics!

PS: I've owned several Dodge vans with carbs and I don't recognize that fitting. Haven't you been able to Google a diagram for the carb that shows parts identification? There are numbers on the body of the carb that will show what carb you have.

PPS: Disregard comment about slide show. I now see that the album is viewable.