wall heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IanC said:
Does anyone know about these? The ad says 30,000 BTUs but other places like Tractor Supply list them as 18,000. Also, they are 200 bucks from  TS, vs 120 from WM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyna-Glo-IR18PMDG-1-18-000-BTU-Propane-Infrared-Wall-Heater/46796378

The company website says this: 

[font=Karla, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Propane use requires 100-lb. tank or larger with two-stage adjustable regulator available from local gas company.[/font]

[font=Karla, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]( http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/product-details/IR12PMDG-1.html )[/font]

[font=Karla, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Not sure why it would require 100lbs, but it also says that in the FAQs on the Walmart page.[/font]

it also says "liquid propane". these are meant to be installed in houses. I thought household propane was a vapor system. highdesertranger

Household propane is the same as rv propane, stored as liquid, burned as vapor

The Tractor Supply listing is wrong.  The model Dyna-Glo IR30PMDG-1 is shown as 30,000 BTU in their manual and on every other sellers site.  Dyna-Glo does make a 6,000 - 12,000 and 18,000 BTU model.  
Here is a link to the Installation Instructions Manual.

They probably recommend a 100# tank minimum because at 30,000 btu the smaller tanks would have a hard time vaporizing fast enough.

My Mr BIG Buddy has been working fine on a 20# er using the 18,000 btu setting......

LPG = liquid propane gas = regular everyday propane.

all propane is liquid when under pressure. it can be delivered to the appliance in a vapor or liquid. this all depends on the appliance and the tank. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
all propane is liquid when under pressure.  it can be delivered to the appliance in a vapor or liquid.  this all depends on the appliance and the tank.  highdesertranger

So, if you get a tank filled at a service station, for instance, you are getting propane gas (non liquefied ) and if you get a delivery to your house it's  under pressure (LP) ? Can you use an appliance for LP with non LP? Can you get a regular 20# tank filled with LP?

when you get a tank filled its always liquid. when the fill your house tank it to is liquid. it is always under pressure. I am not sure with what you mean by, "Can you use an appliance for LP with non LP?" or "Can you get a regular 20# tank filled with LP? " what do you mean by LP. propane is propane you always buy it in liquid form. some tanks deliver the liquid propane as a gas, some tanks deliver the liquid propane as a liquid, some tanks have a tap for both liquid and gas. for RV's and camping gear we use propane as a gas. its been a long time since I have seen a liquid propane appliance, fork lifts use liquid propane. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
when you get a tank filled its always liquid.  when the fill your house tank it to is liquid.  it is always under pressure.  I am not sure with what you mean by,  "Can you use an appliance for LP with non LP?" or "Can you get a regular 20# tank filled with LP? "  what do you mean by LP.  propane is propane you always buy it in liquid form.  some tanks deliver the liquid propane as a gas,  some tanks deliver the liquid propane as a liquid,  some tanks have a tap for both liquid and gas.  for RV's and camping gear we use propane as a gas.  its been a long time since I have seen a liquid propane appliance,  fork lifts use liquid propane.  highdesertranger

Ok, it was in regards to the wall heater which in the specs said LP, which I took to mean it needed liquefied gas vs propane as a gas. So instead of confusing myself any further I take it that any mention of an LP appliance is just another way of saying propane

IanC said:
Ok, it was in regards to the wall heater which in the specs said LP, which I took to mean it needed liquefied gas vs propane as a gas. So instead of confusing myself any further I take it that any mention of an LP appliance is just another way of saying propane

Well, technically, LPG can be a mixture of Propane and Butane.  It all depends on how careful the refinery was that distilled the stuff.

Here in the U. S., it's almost always 90%  or more Propane and there is a tendency to just call it Propane.

Mexico and points south often have much higher percentages of Butane.  This is fine in warmer climates.  But because the boiling point of Propane is -40 degrees C, but Butane is only 0 degrees C, snowbirds who fill their tanks in Mexico and then come north sometimes have problems.  The Butane portion won't convert from liquid to a gas below freezing, and they discover that their furnace won't run.

Any appliance marked LPG will run just fine on Propane, Butane, or any mixture of both.  If you want to run it on Natural Gas, the appliance must be re-jetted.

Appliances run off the vapor at the top of the tank.  Engines on fork lifts run off the liquid itself, and fork lift tanks are designed to deliver liquid propane instead of propane vapor.  Fork lift tanks should never be used with an appliance designed to run on vapor.

Thanks OP.I didn't know that about forklift tanks.I learned something today in spite of myself.

IanC said:
So, if you get a tank filled at a service station, for instance, you are getting propane gas (non liquefied ) and if you get a delivery to your house it's  under pressure (LP) ? Can you use an appliance for LP with non LP? Can you get a regular 20# tank filled with LP?

Here is a link to a manual you may find helpful.
Book-5-Propane-Systems  - Introduction to RV propane systems

RVIA INTRO TO RV SERVICE
This is a .pdf of a scanned copy.  There are 9 books in size from 13,900 KB to 34,282 KB, 93 to 135 pages each.
All together 192MB

Book-1-Introduction
Book-2-PDI-Work-Book
Book-3-RV-Preventative-Maintenance
Book-4-Electrical-Systems
Book-5-Propane-Systems
Book-6-Plumbing-Systems
Book-7-Air-Conditioning
Book-8-Refrigerator-Systems
Book-9-Water-Heaters

A lot of very good info.

Also a link to a good article on propane heaters RV Heater – How to Install a Vent-Free Propane Heater in Your RV