wagoneer is a weather whimp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
OK got that off my chest, last year I pontificated about silk pink/salmon Russian Army underwear otherwise known as long johns, why they chose pink I do not know. We will be experiencing sub perfect weather and if wagoner is not happy the quality of engagement suffers. I have since acquired thick wool pants and base layer type undies toped of with micro fleece polar tech type overpaints and will spare no effort on my own selfish comfort. With age comes selfish comfort. What has worked for you? Aside you rugged wearing shorts type young bucks, i don't wanna hear" hey it's not cold" or the old "whats your problem" Thank you love Adrian I wanna hear the female perspective as well so ladies chime in please

Saguaro Bobcat 3.jpgOK , you and the dog look plenty warm...........why are you leaning on the saguaro ????? and does that help you to stay warm somehow ?
Maybe someone could explain my pictures to me as well.........cuz I wasn't gonna ask HIM!Saguaro Bobcat 4.jpg

Attachments

• Saguaro Bobcat 3.jpg
    Saguaro Bobcat 3.jpg
    26.9 KB
  • Saguaro Bobcat 4.jpg
    Saguaro Bobcat 4.jpg
    38.4 KB
Wool. Wool wool and more wool. Cashmere, angora, merino, snuggly sheep. Wool.

Here in Northern Nevada I've been hanging out in insulated coveralls, its been below 0 degrees outside here at night in the teens in the day. Working outside wearing 5 layers with the insulated carharts topping it off.

I think my blood freezes at about 50 degrees anymore. Being 25 pounds underweight doesn't help either, so I don't do cold well and have no use for snow either.
Usually I'm in places that suit my clothes, but this year Mother Nature has thrown us a curve. I'll get out when its sunny and the jacket I have is enough. Otherwise, I'll be found inside enjoying some reading and playing online. I'm very rarely bored and quite content within my home on wheels.

Layers are best out here. It can be cold of a morning and by mid morning you start shucking a layer and by lunch its a T shirt day. About 4-5 pm a chill breeze warns of the need to start layering for evening.
Most of y'all, especially northerners, shouldn't be bothered by it much...just remember a layer for the bed too, as the wee hours are the coldest.

Just a reminder....be sure to hydrate well. Even in winter its important with it being so dry here. Most people need some sort of stuff for dry skin too.

A skinny comedian friend once quipped that I come with my own insulation (he was shiver-y at an outdoor event and I was fine). :D

While that is true, I have to say that I cannot help but frown when looking at the Q long-range forecast. I get even more put off thinking of the nights on my 3-4 day drive down there. It won't stop me though. My departure is delayed by a day or two and that may mean I have one less night of below freezing temps on the drive.

When I was buying propane canisters for my Mr. Heater Buddy, I noticed that the Hot Hands company now has "body warmers" that are larger but thinner air-activated patches. I bought a package of them to try.

Cold days are not a worry for me, but I HATE having to get out of the warm cocoon of my bed when the temps are below 40 and especially below 32! So I'm thinking the larger patches may be great for foot-warming in the bed.

rvpopeye said:
OK , you and the dog look plenty warm...........why are you leaning on the saguaro ????? and does that help you to stay warm somehow ?
Maybe someone could explain my pictures to me as well.........cuz I wasn't gonna ask HIM!

that my friend is an optical allusion/camera trickery. I never touched it i guided a friend to make it look that way. Not my dog it belongs to Eddy Beach

Insulated long johns from Duluth, Smart Wool socks, Jeans and shirt, insulated Carhart coveralls, and a knit cap. My joints and back still ache, so I'm headed to Q on Thursday!

Wagoneer
I suspected that !
But that still doesn't explain that bobcat !!!!!

That said , here's my warm gear. Compression undies, polar fleece, goose down , that's it. LAYERS.
Tomorrow night below zero , I'm confidently ready.

That is so cool a Bobcat on top thanks for the picture, where is below zero? just peeked at the Wundermap and surprised to see 50's in Quartzite. Will be heading out today with an old friend. See you all soon

The descriptions of clothes in this thread make me sweat thinking about them! :)

Spending most of my years in the North-East and loving the outdoors, I prefer a worsted wool blend. 78% worsted wool, 12% acrylic, 8% nylon and 2% spandex, see Duluth trading Co. for examples of under/outer wear. Pricey yes, but warm and comfortable in cold weather.

This week in southwest AZ you'd need rain gear.

The zero stuff is in East Coast Alaska (Maine).
I do have a wool sweater but the wool stuff is too heavy for my liking.
I have a Columbia rainsuit if it gets too windy or rains (46 and rain for Sunday). I rarely sweat , add or remove layers!

Do you have an auxiliary battery in the car? I have a small 48W 12V car blanket, it's certainly not hot, more of a warming pad, but it's helpful and not out of range for my battery.